Lady Gaga 'Chromatica' stream + comment party

Okay so gotta say as another member mentioned the album is grower after a few more listens.

Only general detractor I have and maybe this has been mentioned...the vocals on some songs. Just so strong, powerful. Where’s maybe softness and less powerhouse would have been welcomed. Don’t know if I’m the only one that’s  made that assessment...

Oh, Sour Candy...it’s like a better version of JND off Artpop. But still just meh. 

My first listen was: bad like Joanne.

Further time to listen to it: I really don't understand the critical or fan reaction, more so the fan reaction.

I think she sounds bored on most songs, some parts have great vocal moments (this is how I wish she sang on The Fame), but the production is VERY bad and basic. I could understand the blandness of Joanne but with the theme/style she's going with this album, the music just doesn't match everything else.

There's some typical Gaga fashion here: "copying" from Madonna (very smart this time tho) and the intro to Replay is basically The Who's Baba O'Riley. But she's a student of music, so.

Personally, I think it probably suffers too many writers and producers. I can't believe some songs have so many co-writing credits when a lot of the lyrics aren't that complex or deep when she isn't singing about mental health. It feels like someone came in towards the end to make the sound more cohesive, which I never expect or want from Gaga. None of her albums have been unskippable LPs, let's be real, but the erratic sound she made across Fame-Artpop was part of her appeal, imo. This just feels very copy and paste production on most songs.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Okay I tried listening to the album again and with that said I must admit .............I still don't like the album :quirkney: 

But alice is cute and I like the intros , especially chromatica II (probably the only track I liked on the album , but it's just an intro)

Sorry ,it still sounds boring and flat to me , but I have pretty high musical standards and in comparison to her first 3 albums (artpop was okay),so it's just not my cup of tea :imdying:

4 hours ago, theholyspearit22 said:

Just here to say this is most definitely an album that gets better and better with each listen. 

In addition to my initial review, Replay is such a bop. 

I saw a lot of ppl hate on that song but it’s almost my fav from the album. 

Honestly after TF, Chromatica is my fav album. I’m actually shocked I like it so much because I thought SL was pretty generic. It fits very well with the album though.  

• Love 2

So I’ve taken the full weekend to listen. Go away. Listen later. Sleep on it. Listen whilst sunbathing. Leave it. And listen again on my walk.

Lets not lie... it has rose from the ashes of Joanne and back to Gaga at her best.

Slightly generic? Yes.

In my opinion, slightly lazy production? Yes. 

A step in the right direction? YES

TOP 3:

- Plastic Doll

- Thousand Doves 

-911/ Alice

WORST 3

- Replay (it is insanely generic and goes nowhere)

-  Babylon (apologies... i just don’t feel it)   
- Sine from above (I thought it had potential. Until Elton comes blustering in like a drunk uncle grabbing the mic at a family party. And let’s not even discuss who’s idea it was for that drum n bass type bit at the end)

She pours everything into her work and I admire that. It may not be my favourite album... although I know 90% of this album live at Chromatica Ball will send me rocketing to the moon :firega::jumpney:

Listened to it today! I gotta say it's pretty cohesive and she stayed true to her vision from start to finish.

I like that she is more Gaga the way we had her in mind, with more edgy outfits in her videos, her image in general is more edgy even tho the melodies are not that futuristic. But I can't say that it's not a current sound, there's a ballance between disco and the present age.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:50 AM, theholyspearit22 said:

Just here to say this is most definitely an album that gets better and better with each listen. 

In addition to my initial review, Replay is such a bop. 

Have to agree with you, Chromata has really grown on me upon each listen. 911 omfg what a song, even Sour Candy(which is still JND 2.0).

2 hours ago, ScooterScott86 said:

Have to agree with you, Chromata has really grown on me upon each listen. 911 omfg what a song, even Sour Candy(which is still JND 2.0).

It’s a grower for sure ❤️
I’m finding that each listen a song can take on a new feel (lyrically picking up on things I hadn’t before for eg)

She knew what she was doing with this album, and I really respect that. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block