Is Britney a victim of her success?

Do you think Britney is a victim of her success?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When she was younger she probably had not even an incling of just how much she would blow up and how massive she would become in the public eye :bbmaney:

Back then there was no social media so I think as things started to progress she just became a target for constant media attention. Sadly she’s not the first and she won’t be the last. Could you really deal with the pressures of being “a celebrity”??

I don’t think she’s a victim of her success. She just didn’t make the best choices over the years. No one said her life had to be the way it is. Even back in her prime, yes she was working all over the place and that was super hard for a young person, but she could have easily set boundaries and rules for herself outside of things she was contractually obligated to do. Negotiate more breaks for herself, more artistic control, etc. Other artists do it all the time. Maybe it was part of being young, but I think another part of that came from wanting to be the best, wanting to be on top. And there’s always, always a price for that. You can’t want the adrenaline rush then get mad at the high it gives you imo. Everyone makes their own life and I fully believe that.

giphy.gif

Her success is what made her go through such a rough time. If she was less famous, a breakup, divorce, 24hr marriage, etc. would have been bad, but her fame made it at least 10x worse. She got burnt out from being so famous, tired of being controlled because people took advantage of her success and pushed her so hard, and it all led to her breakdown.

14 hours ago, Sporty said:

That's why I think it's a combination of factors and not as easy as 100% blaming the success or 100% blaming Britney. Had she, her team, and her family been more savvy, they could've prevented some of what happened, but I get that hindsight is 20/20. Britney herself said in For the Record that she was angry with people for taking advantage of her, and angry with herself for letting people advantage of her. Unfortunately, it was just the "perfect storm."

And Britney has no choice but to include her fame *****/stage mother Lynne and Larry Rudolph as people she let 'take advantage of her.'

Her scumbag stage mother keeps saying she 'wanted to make her daughters' dreams come true' rather than saying we were a broke poor Louisiana family who needed to manufacture our daughter to pay the bills.

Why was Lynne out there writing vanity/bogus books with her daughter back then if she wasn't a stage mother/fame *****?

Britney obviously loves her mother, as she should, but facts are facts.

Larry shouldn't have been her manager after Circus, just like Beyonce parted ways with Matthew Knowles (the man responsible for Beyonce's 2000s success) but her father-who knows absolutely nothing about music or the music business-kept him on (obviously for money)

Britney checked out of her career for good after the Circus era and most didn't really catch on until I guess her changing her face, which is also a result of being a victim of her early success. 

She would easily look as youthful as ever if she 'retired' a decade ago after Circus, even with all the tanning/smoking she did.

Let's be honest, it was time the media turned against her/her team (which they have) for all the lying they've done since the Circus era, which is when it should have ended.  These two popjustices post from way back in 2009 sums it all up:

"She is a talented singer, but the vocal performances she has used post-Star Search are not indicative of her vocal talent because Larry Rudolph - seeing no commercial viability for a large-lunged, young teen singer, but a market for a new, solo female Backstreet Boy/single-Spice Girl/young Madonna/young Janet Jackson - sent her to vocal coaches to be taught how to sing in a distinctive vocal style, so that you'd instantly recognise her voice on radio. And it worked - she is one of the most successful artists of the past decade and outsold all of her peers for many years.

I think Rudolph forgot that, unlike Madonna and Janet, as her voice isn't real, she should (and will probably) have a limited shelf-life as a recording artist - because it inhibits her from singing a full show live, or singing over the top of pre-recorded vocals. For the first few years of her career she was under constant vocal supervision and had consistent training. When that ended, she became further and further unable to perform even songs she has written for herself live, without quivering and sounding awful, and now, even though she's back with a vocal coach, she still clearly isn't confident to perform more than one song live, as she's never had to.

Pop music has, generally, always been just as much about style as it is talent and substance - you can write a perfect pop song, but if the production is lacking, it falls flat; similarly, you may have a technically amazing voice, but if you don't have the right image, you will fail, and conversely, someone with a distinctive voice but a limited range (Madonna, Rihanna, Kylie, Janet) can have a successful career with the right songs and right image. Britney's show is the perfect example of this. She is an interesting performer, even when she's not throwing herself into 90's-style choreography, with fantastic songs featuring a distinctive, instantly recognisable vocal, and an interesting, vibrant, visual feast of a show. If she were to sing the whole thing live and sound as awful as she did on her live vocalled songs in 2004, she would be even further criticised - the disconnect between her and her recorded music would be greater. This is clearly the lesser of two evils.

It'd be fantastic if these reports actually kicked some life into her and her management - if even Katy Perry can perform acoustically on MTV Unplugged, they should get Britney back in vocal training consistently and get her able to perform a 10 song set, completely live. At least that would prove that she can do it (and, if they pre-record with her forgiving fanbase, she can mess-up a few times)."

https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/britney-traumatized-by-disappointed-australian-fans.15859/page-4

Kids growing up with X-Factor, Beyonce and Lady Gaga will go “What the **** did people even like about Britney in the first place?! She can do jack ****!”.

She has never been a singer or performer and Britney has never been about music. She was a good dancer who stripped off her clothes in order to gain attention. A Label’s wet dream. Shuts up, goes to places where she is supposed to, records music she doesn’t care about, goes on stage in her bra and shakes her saggy **** and thick thighs. Together with the Pussycat Dolls, she made pole dancing family-friendly.

The intervention and conservatorship were both unnecessary. When a disturbed person forgets to feed his/her kids, does the state even care? But when’s it Britney effing Spears the whole world steps in and takes care of her supposed “misery”. She’s never been miserable. A person that experiences pain by others, that one is miserable. She created her own drama and should have handled the mess she was in herself. That’s what 26year old women do.

Of course it’s ridiculous of the Australian fans to storm out of a Britney concert. If McDondals puts last weeks half-eaten burger on display and charges 100 dollar for it while you happily pay the price, don’t be outraged about that menu afterwards.

All her disappointed fans like to put the blame on K-Fed, Sam Lufti, Larry Rudolph, her mother, her father, her label etc. The fans themselves are to blame, because they are buying into a product of subpar quality.

https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/britney-traumatized-by-disappointed-australian-fans.15859/page-2

Still, Britney is wealthy now, still gets royalty checks on top of her wealth she has, and that should be it. 

I think Britney is a victim of her own choices! She got famous incredible young and had a lot of pressure to deal with but instead of trying to become a more serious artist she wanted to be a *** symbol, I think what helps a lot of others grow is their drive to express themselves artistically and I don't think she ever had that kind of vision for her career. She felt trapped by her fame but by 2002 she was famous enough and old enough to take control of her own career, ITZ was a start but not enough and I think beyond that she lost interest in her growth as an artist. She felt lonely and isolated but instead of getting help she started to make the worst choices possible.

I know she loves her boys and I know she wouldn't trade them for anything in the world but I think she got pregnant too young, her marriage with Kevin ruined her image even more and then bringing children into that mess of a marriage, by that point she couldn't even handle herself, so it was doomed from the start.

What makes me angry sometimes is, how she and her team threw everything away, she was on top of the world and had everything going for her, instead of just admitting that she needed a break and seeing that being a *** object is not artistic growth she threw everything away.

She should have gotten professional help and a long break in 2002 right after the break up with Justin, and after that, she could have had a comeback with a more mature image and sound something like Nelly Furtado did with Timbaland.

I don't want her to be political or some kind of activist but I wish she had used her struggles and expressed them in some kind of creative way into her music. I know a lot of people here think she is fine today and could take care of herself but from what I see of her, I think her mental problems have gotten worse over time, I don't think she could handle her own life right now, because I don't think she ever got professional counseling. Either she doesn't want to deal with her Demons or her team tries to shelter her but I think it's clear that she is still mentally ill and unstable.

I think if she had admitted to herself in 2002 that she was unhappy and needed a break or searched for help everything would have been different. I think her worst mistake was to think that by being rebellious people would take her seriously or see her as more of an adult. Then she married in Vegas, after that she married a guy with a pregnant girlfriend had two children in a span of two years and everything broke down. 

I think her vision of what it takes to be an adult or to be an actual artist was pretty screwed, if she had handled her transition from bubble gum pop to an more adult style like JT did back then, she would still be on top right now.

53 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

Britney checked out of her career for good after the Circus era and most didn't really catch on until I guess her changing her face, which is also a result of being a victim of her early success. 

Oh, everyone knew. You can't honestly have watched fans complaining since the Circus era and thought nobody noticed? Its simply that most convinced themselves things would change, Britney would get better, etc etc. 

Technically, we've all convinced ourselves of this, or none of us would be on this forum anymore.

2 hours ago, zxcvb said:

And Britney has no choice but to include her fame *****/stage mother Lynne and Larry Rudolph as people she let 'take advantage of her.'

Her scumbag stage mother keeps saying she 'wanted to make her daughters' dreams come true' rather than saying we were a broke poor Louisiana family who needed to manufacture our daughter to pay the bills.

Why was Lynne out there writing vanity/bogus books with her daughter back then if she wasn't a stage mother/fame *****?

Britney obviously loves her mother, as she should, but facts are facts.

Larry shouldn't have been her manager after Circus, just like Beyonce parted ways with Matthew Knowles (the man responsible for Beyonce's 2000s success) but her father-who knows absolutely nothing about music or the music business-kept him on (obviously for money)

She would easily look as youthful as ever if she 'retired' a decade ago after Circus, even with all the tanning/smoking she did.

Let's be honest, it was time the media turned against her/her team (which they have) for all the lying they've done since the Circus era, which is when it should have ended.  These two popjustices post from way back in 2009 sums it all up:

"She is a talented singer, but the vocal performances she has used post-Star Search are not indicative of her vocal talent because Larry Rudolph - seeing no commercial viability for a large-lunged, young teen singer, but a market for a new, solo female Backstreet Boy/single-Spice Girl/young Madonna/young Janet Jackson - sent her to vocal coaches to be taught how to sing in a distinctive vocal style, so that you'd instantly recognise her voice on radio. And it worked - she is one of the most successful artists of the past decade and outsold all of her peers for many years.

I think Rudolph forgot that, unlike Madonna and Janet, as her voice isn't real, she should (and will probably) have a limited shelf-life as a recording artist - because it inhibits her from singing a full show live, or singing over the top of pre-recorded vocals. For the first few years of her career she was under constant vocal supervision and had consistent training. When that ended, she became further and further unable to perform even songs she has written for herself live, without quivering and sounding awful, and now, even though she's back with a vocal coach, she still clearly isn't confident to perform more than one song live, as she's never had to.

Pop music has, generally, always been just as much about style as it is talent and substance - you can write a perfect pop song, but if the production is lacking, it falls flat; similarly, you may have a technically amazing voice, but if you don't have the right image, you will fail, and conversely, someone with a distinctive voice but a limited range (Madonna, Rihanna, Kylie, Janet) can have a successful career with the right songs and right image. Britney's show is the perfect example of this. She is an interesting performer, even when she's not throwing herself into 90's-style choreography, with fantastic songs featuring a distinctive, instantly recognisable vocal, and an interesting, vibrant, visual feast of a show. If she were to sing the whole thing live and sound as awful as she did on her live vocalled songs in 2004, she would be even further criticised - the disconnect between her and her recorded music would be greater. This is clearly the lesser of two evils.

It'd be fantastic if these reports actually kicked some life into her and her management - if even Katy Perry can perform acoustically on MTV Unplugged, they should get Britney back in vocal training consistently and get her able to perform a 10 song set, completely live. At least that would prove that she can do it (and, if they pre-record with her forgiving fanbase, she can mess-up a few times)."

https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/britney-traumatized-by-disappointed-australian-fans.15859/page-4

Kids growing up with X-Factor, Beyonce and Lady Gaga will go “What the **** did people even like about Britney in the first place?! She can do jack ****!”.

She has never been a singer or performer and Britney has never been about music. She was a good dancer who stripped off her clothes in order to gain attention. A Label’s wet dream. Shuts up, goes to places where she is supposed to, records music she doesn’t care about, goes on stage in her bra and shakes her saggy **** and thick thighs. Together with the Pussycat Dolls, she made pole dancing family-friendly.

The intervention and conservatorship were both unnecessary. When a disturbed person forgets to feed his/her kids, does the state even care? But when’s it Britney effing Spears the whole world steps in and takes care of her supposed “misery”. She’s never been miserable. A person that experiences pain by others, that one is miserable. She created her own drama and should have handled the mess she was in herself. That’s what 26year old women do.

Of course it’s ridiculous of the Australian fans to storm out of a Britney concert. If McDondals puts last weeks half-eaten burger on display and charges 100 dollar for it while you happily pay the price, don’t be outraged about that menu afterwards.

All her disappointed fans like to put the blame on K-Fed, Sam Lufti, Larry Rudolph, her mother, her father, her label etc. The fans themselves are to blame, because they are buying into a product of subpar quality.

https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/britney-traumatized-by-disappointed-australian-fans.15859/page-2

Still, Britney is wealthy now, still gets royalty checks on top of her wealth she has, and that should be it. 

ur an ******* 

1 hour ago, f**knfurter said:

Oh, everyone knew. You can't honestly have watched fans complaining since the Circus era and thought nobody noticed? Its simply that most convinced themselves things would change, Britney would get better, etc etc. 

Technically, we've all convinced ourselves of this, or none of us would be on this forum anymore.

Isn't this because of Larry Rudolph's lying?  When the **** is Larry Rudolph going to be investigated/reported on???  Why do people pretend he was ever a great manager??

1 hour ago, Toulouse said:

I think Britney is a victim of her own choices! She got famous incredible young and had a lot of pressure to deal with but instead of trying to become a more serious artist she wanted to be a *** symbol, I think what helps a lot of others grow is their drive to express themselves artistically and I don't think she ever had that kind of vision for her career. She felt trapped by her fame but by 2002 she was famous enough and old enough to take control of her own career, ITZ was a start but not enough and I think beyond that she lost interest in her growth as an artist. She felt lonely and isolated but instead of getting help she started to make the worst choices possible.

I know she loves her boys and I know she wouldn't trade them for anything in the world but I think she got pregnant too young, her marriage with Kevin ruined her image even more and then bringing children into that mess of a marriage, by that point she couldn't even handle herself, so it was doomed from the start.

What makes me angry sometimes is, how she and her team threw everything away, she was on top of the world and had everything going for her, instead of just admitting that she needed a break and seeing that being a *** object is not artistic growth she threw everything away.

She should have gotten professional help and a long break in 2002 right after the break up with Justin, and after that, she could have had a comeback with a more mature image and sound something like Nelly Furtado did with Timbaland.

Again with Larry Rudolph.  The stupid prick is the one that paired her with Paris Hilton, which is the real reason 2007 happened (****** flashing turned the media entirely against her because during the Letterman appearance she was getting good press after divorce.)

Scooter Braun?  He is a great manager.  You can see the list of successful clients.  You cannot see that with Larry Rudolph whatsoever.

She was never supposed to marry Kevin.  She already married Jason Alexander and it was broken up by Lynne and Larry.

I don't think people realize just how many comeback chances Britney has gotten to become a 'great'/satisfactory performer again:  

Letterman in fall of 06 (People were rooting for her after divorce until her flashing), 2007 VMAs (Probably shouldn't have even performed but still), Circus era and beyond. 

Why the **** did she even sign the Domination contract?  Is she that much of a puppet?  But then again I said she checked out during/after Circus.

None of those rehearsal clips are good enough.  The Janet Jackson routine she posted should be how she performs for an ENTIRE SHOW.  Britney can't really be complaining about negativity either.  Back then people still packed her tours regardless of the negativity from the industry/press.

50 minutes ago, Jaaaayku said:

ur an ******* 

Britney's mother and manager are the ones who did what they did.  They're the ones who exploited Britney.

I've said many times I'm pleased Britney is comfortably wealthy, but I strongly dislike her mother and Larry.

Archived