Olivia Rodrigo's new song "Drivers License" hits #1 on Billboard and breaks Spotify streaming record

1 hour ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

the audacity to compare this basic chick to Britney in her prime

tumblr_n08u88ug3J1rr883co1_400.gif

you standards are lower than the waist of Britney's jeans in 2001

tumblr_n08u88ug3J1rr883co1_400.gif

:imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

i read that as standards lower than Britney Jean, which is is also fair :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Not comparing at all, just it’s funny to me that people always hate on upcoming music, despite themselves loving music that was hated on by the generation above as well.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

i read that as standards lower than Britney Jean, which is is also fair :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Not comparing at all, just it’s funny to me that people always hate on upcoming music, despite themselves loving music that was hated on by the generation above as well.

but Britney was huge since day 1, if this girl go out in the streets no one recognize her :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

Wow this totally sneaked up on me. Number 1 song in the country and I've never heard it before lol. I'm so out of touch. 

I had to go listen to it. Was expecting a fun bop but...it's a teenage love song. I'm about to be thirty so the subject matter sounds a little too melodramatic for me lol but I'm happy for her success. I really do miss fun and energetic pop music. Not that it doesn't exist anymore because of course it does, but the trends recently seem to point towards darker, sad, more moody music. Trends come and go , I guess.

Congrats to Olivia:wendy_williams_bop_listen_music:

• Love 2
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

My mom loves Britney when I was 9 yo, but she doesn't speak English. Baby One More Time is the reason why I learned English as well. I think I'm in the phase where I don't understand the hype on most of the new music right now - because I was growing up listening to singers who used to dance on stage and put so much effort on their performances. Not saying that today's singers are lazy and selling only aesthetics.

I still enjoying Kylie's new album because I can dance to it. Same goes to Little Mix's Confetti because I still can dance to it. Music has changed and for me, that's the truth. From my opinion, the newcomers can be considered as great when they can choose type of music that can be accepted by both new and old generation.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, OnlyBeyonce said:

someone still give a **** about those charts? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: i mean, we already know that people can easily buy the #1 :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

IDGAF about charts, awards, reviews or people’s opinions. You can buy EVERYTHING nowadays, so I just enjoy the songs I like. But this ain’t one of them... The world is sad enough today, I need music to enjoy and listen while I workout. If only was real and honest, but it’s just a part of an embarrassing marketing strategy. So, IDGAF...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mannequin19 said:

some of yall sound so OLD and BITTER :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:if this 17 year old girl was able to achieve all of this through payola......why haven't bigger, more established artists (who are signed to much bigger labels) done the same thing ? 

Most of those artist work a lot to get a successful song on the media, a tour, etc... And using payola is a record label move, it doesn’t come usually  from the singer. How Ariana, Billie, Dua and so many others got to the number one in the charts? It didn’t happened in a week!!! We aren’t bitter and we aren’t fools... I never heard the song nowhere and that’s not usual when a song is successful. And what about that love triangle story? PURE MARKETING!!!

Is not usual at all that a song that nobody heard got so many success just in a few days. That’s not the way things happens, specially when we all saw a lot of artist coming from nothing to a global success. But the most important thing, what make people think that his label is using payola is this (And I believe most people think the same as me):

i dont know her mariah carey GIF

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NobodyKnowsPete said:

Most of those artist work a lot to get a successful song on the media, a tour, etc... And using payola is a record label move, it doesn’t come usually  from the singer. How Ariana, Billie, Dua and so many others got to the number one in the charts? It didn’t happened in a week!!! We aren’t bitter and we aren’t fools... I never heard the song nowhere and that’s not usual when a song is successful. And what about that love triangle story? PURE MARKETING!!!

Is not usual at all that a song that nobody heard got so many success just in a few days. That’s not the way things happens, specially when we all saw a lot of artist coming from nothing to a global success. But the most important thing, what make people think that his label is using payola is this (And I believe most people think the same as me):

I agree for the most part. It's a bit odd for something like this to happen organically to someone completely unknown. Billy Eilish's story was a bit more believable. It slowly grew for at least a year.  There are little giveaways that reveal, at least, that she had huge support. For example, the budget for her video is clearly not small. Compare it to other artistss' first videos and the difference is clear 

Now, the song is pretty good, I definitely think it is not unique or innovative, but it's good. The thing is, I can think of 3 other artists that have had equally good and powerful songs, if not better, that have been completely ignored. And I mean really talented people (not saying Olivia is not. She seems to be skilled.) 

As for what you say about that love triangle, I totally agree, it seems soooo planned. It is definitely a page out of the Taylor Swift very annoying, but extremely effective marketing moves. Give people a victim with a story that your cousin could be telling you over the phone, while you remember your own tragedy while listening and bam! You got a good mktng plan. 

Anyways, although I really don't hate on her success, it seems strangely strategic?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bigno said:

I agree for the most part. It's a bit odd for something like this to happen organically to someone completely unknown. Billy Eilish's story was a bit more believable. It slowly grew for at least a year.  There are little giveaways that reveal, at least, that she had huge support. For example, the budget for her video is clearly not small. Compare it to other artistss' first videos and the difference is clear 

Now, the song is pretty good, I definitely think it is not unique or innovative, but it's good. The thing is, I can think of 3 other artists that have had equally good and powerful songs, if not better, that have been completely ignored. And I mean really talented people (not saying Olivia is not. She seems to be skilled.) 

As for what you say about that love triangle, I totally agree, it seems soooo planned. It is definitely a page out of the Taylor Swift very annoying, but extremely effective marketing moves. Give people a victim with a story that your cousin could be telling you over the phone, while you remember your own tragedy while listening and bam! You got a good mktng plan. 

Anyways, although I really don't hate on her success, it seems strangely strategic?

It is not hate, just...

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, NobodyKnowsPete said:

because you're old....i have heard the song everywhere. just because YOU haven't doesn't mean there's anything wrong or shady going on. you completely missed my point as well because i didn't say that artists used payola for themselves. if it were that easy to buy super successful #1s, every label would do it for their artists, especially their bigger ones. the song spread through word of mouth (i heard about it from my friends) and blew up on tiktok. she then got attention from taylor swift stans who then tried to get the song to #1 because olivia is a big fan of taylor

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

It's a good song. It blew up on Tik Tok. It got attention from Taylor Swift. End of story and get over it.

I played it for my friend (a total normie LOL) who immediately started CRYING at the bridge.

Call it basic or whatever, but it resonates with the locals and THAT'S what the charts reflect.

Be happy for this girl ffs

1 hour ago, mannequin19 said:

because you're old....i have heard the song everywhere. just because YOU haven't doesn't mean there's anything wrong or shady going on. you completely missed my point as well because i didn't say that artists used payola for themselves. if it were that easy to buy super successful #1s, every label would do it for their artists, especially their bigger ones. the song spread through word of mouth (i heard about it from my friends) and blew up on tiktok. she then got attention from taylor swift stans who then tried to get the song to #1 because olivia is a big fan of taylor

Or it’s because you are young and gullible...

“whyhaven't bigger, more established artists (who are signed to much bigger labels) done the same thing ?“.

You name the artists, not the labels. That’s why I said it’s the labels decision. Also we have the Doja Cat example with Tik Tok: It took weeks and a TV performance for her to get known with “Say So” and even a remix to get to the top of the board, that’s why I think that being viral in that platform is not enough. Tik Tok and Swifters?

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

It is all a marketing move, but it is Ok. Enjoy your jam and that fake love triangle story.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block