"Oops!...I Did It Again" Is Britney's Peak & Here's Why...- A Thread

4 hours ago, ColdAsFire89 said:

I think there are different peaks in Britneys timeline..

Peak in popularity/sales: I agree with you is 2000

peak in beauty: probably 2001

Peak in artistry and dance is: 2003

Peak in media interest: 2000 or 2007

Peak in tour gross: 2009

sadly all her peaks are pre-2010... :( 

Peak single sales 2011

Peak residencies concert - oops she set the trend

Britney career unlike lady Gaga and Katy Perry was very long. I am sure she is going dominate next 10 years!

reason BJ and Glory flopped because of her conservatorship and conservative father! Original concept of WB, perfume, make me were scraped 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Goten21 said:

Her chart success peak was Femme Fatale

Mostly In the US though.. 

She was charting higher in Europe when she was flopping in the US and later it was the other way round. 

so not sure when her charting peak was... in terms of longevity and WW. I mean... HIAM a was a total front loader hit #1 and fell off the charts almost immediately.

whereas MATM was a #1 on the world charts back then for example.. It would need to be assessed if FF was her best charting worldwide

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Sourab Patodi said:

Peak single sales 2011

Peak residencies concert - oops she set the trend

Britney career unlike lady Gaga and Katy Perry was very long. I am sure she is going dominate next 10 years!

reason BJ and Glory flopped because of her conservatorship and conservative father! Original concept of WB, perfume, make me were scraped 

Peak single sales is circus. Look at the numbers.

Womanizer and circus sold more than TTWE+HIAM+IWG in numbers worldwide

• Love 2

Omg I remember I was devastated when my parents said we couldn’t go to the store until the day after Oops was released. The world would be listening to the album a whole day ahead of me!! 
crushed noo GIF

It’s also hard to explain how novel Oops felt. Compare the album art between the two. It was just over a year apart, but she looked so much more mature and fierce.

The Oops publicity blitz was everything. She was everywhere. SNL, TRL, Good Morning America... She occupied the media space like no one else.

I might be alone here, but I prefer the BOMT album to Oops now (though not at the time!). The first 7 tracks of Oops are flawless, but it kinda lags for me a bit after (except “Can’t Make You Love Me,” which is straight fire). It’s a close call, but I find BOMT to be a bit more consistent. That said, the Oops era itself is hard to beat.

The VMA performance alone was everything!  And resulted in my favorite Britney gif (her power :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:) :

3RHJ.gif

• Love 2

I have alot of nostalgia for OIDIA :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

It's a great album, especially as her last bubblegum pop record, most if not all the songs could of been singles.

But her "peak" wise imo was still Britney, and then post-breakdown was Circus and some arguments could be made for FF.

I also think Britney will have a unqiue peak again, similar to Circus after all this C-Ship.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, ColdAsFire89 said:

I think there are different peaks in Britneys timeline..

Peak in popularity/sales: I agree with you is 2000

peak in beauty: probably 2001

Peak in artistry and dance is: 2003

Peak in media interest: 2000 or 2007

Peak in tour gross: 2009

sadly all her peaks are pre-2010... :( 

I'd say 2000, 2003, and 2007 were all huge years, for the media, with Britney!

4 minutes ago, brit4u1998 said:

I'd say 2000, 2003, and 2007 were all huge years, for the media, with Britney!

true.. but I think 2007 was arguably the biggest in regards to media attention, interest and search.

“The photo agency X17, which has a team trailing her 24-7, estimates that Britney accounts for 30 percent of its revenue: It sold $2.5 million worth of Britney photos in 2007 alone, including $500,000 for its exclusive Bald Britney pics. Competitor Splash News says that Britney accounts for 10 to 15 percent of its business, boosted this year by $200,000 for photos of Britney in a hot tub. All told, Britney probably makes up a full 20 percent of the paparazzi business.

Estimated average annual take: $4 million

The Media
If it seems like every time you see a newsstand, Britney is on the cover of another magazine, that's only because.she is. A celebrity tabloid with Britney Spears on the cover sells 1.28 million newsstand copies, some 33 percent more than the average. Between January 2006 and July 2007, Britney was a cover subject of People, Us Weekly, In Touch, Life & Style, OK!, or Star a total of 175 times in just 78 weeks. During that period, newsstand sales of issues with her on the cover amounted to a staggering $360 million. She's also topped the annual Yahoo Search rankings in six of the past seven years, slipping to No. 2 only in 2004, when Paris Hilton briefly stole her crown. Searches for Britney were up 60 percent in 2007, the year of her divorce, shaved head, and car wreck. "If there was no Britney, would all Web traffic stop?" asks Vera Chan, senior editor at Yahoo. "I would hesitate to give her that much power, but it's hard to argue with the facts."

Estimated average annual take: $75 million”

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ColdAsFire89 said:

Mostly In the US though.. 

She was charting higher in Europe when she was flopping in the US and later it was the other way round. 

so not sure when her charting peak was... in terms of longevity and WW. I mean... HIAM a was a total front loader hit #1 and fell off the charts almost immediately.

whereas MATM was a #1 on the world charts back then for example.. It would need to be assessed if FF was her best charting worldwide

Okay well her USA charting + USA airplay peak is in 2011, which is absolutely respectable and definitely something to give her for the 2010s decade

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dirk said:

ITZ was a mistake, the sound and image for the 4th album should be more like Oops-Britney, a popish futuristic album. 

WHAT!? SIS IS U OKAY? :gunriah_mariah_carey::deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

Had she gone for a OIDIA-Britney sound, the record would have flopped! And there would've been no Toxic in our lives :dead_falling_wig_dying: Self-titled was basically adulterated and more modern version of Oops!...I Did It Again if you think about it, so why would she have to do it again for the ITZ album :lmao: The album is her most relevant record from her peak era and is one of her most streamed albums so I would not see the reason for why one would switch the amazing sound ITZ held to itself for teen pop music :triggered: Plus, she cannot be sticking with the same sound the whole time or else her discography at the time would be so monotonous, ITZ was a breath of fresh air into her artistry and career :saladga:

• Love 2