Why did Britney's "Glory" era get cut so short?

RCA was the issue. Plain and simple. They are a horrible record label and have screwed up many artist's album campaigns. 

When Britney was with Jive, all her album campaigns were handled in a more organized and professional manner. All of her albums, with the exception of Blackout, went at least 4 singles deep. Femme Fatale was her last great album campaign. Britney Jean and Glory were both messes with their campaigns. When she's free, I really hope she goes with Warner Bros or BMG, they both treat their artists like the legends they are and are great at marketing and running proper album campaigns. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Omg no, I accidentally spelt "Luv Me Down" when referring to the song "Love Me Down" because two Britney songs with the word "Luv" were in my head. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

It's her 4th best album. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Both of those tracks are immature and are some of the biggest weaknesses of the album. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

now this is incorrect

On 12/19/2020 at 5:52 PM, Sourab Patodi said:

Make me is a really good song! Katy Perry intentionally released Rise to deviate focus from Britney ...

Look I hate Katy, but why do some people drag her for that release and its supposed effect on Make Me? Rise was a flop by Katy's standards and peaked at #11. Even if she hadn't released it at the same time as Make Me, it just means that Make Me would've charted one spot higher at most

Katy's song was pretty much dead on arrival anyway, so I don't see how anyone can claim that Make Me was overshadowed by Katy's bland Olympics single that hardly anyone was excited about.

• Like 1

For me personally, the most ideal lead single would have been Love Me Down for a few very good reasons:

1. It fit summer 2016 radio amazingly

Everything about the song fit the radio like a glove. The lyrics, the trap in the chorus, the synths in the bridge, the slight reggae influences, it literally had "radio hit" written all over it.

2. The song is very "Britney Spears"

At least for me personally, the song feels very much like a Britney Spears song (Like with how people say that Poker Face, Applause, and Stupid Love sound very "Lady Gaga".) It has some more of the talking that is a throwback to Britney and In The Zone, the verses and bridge are a bit slower like Britney Spears likes, and the chorus gives us that strong and fast catchy sound that Britney Spears is known for.

3. The songs overall energy

The song has the power of a lead single in it.* This is because it comes at you in a more fierce way than Make Me (In my opinion).

----

Do You Wanna Come Over? would be a nice backup to Love Me Down in case RCA would want something else, but that's it.

----

*I am in no way discrediting artists that have released ballads as singles, but for the potential that this song had it really was lead single material.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2020 at 2:15 AM, Urbanney said:

Things died down for a couple months, but then we got the incredible Slumber Party video. By the way, Slumber Party deserved to be a single and you all know it. Exhale absolutely loved SP and wanted it to be a single. It was only once SP "flopped" that people started saying that it was boring and that it didn't deserve to be a single. It was also a perfect fit for what was popular in pop music at the time. But Britney and her team did zero promo for it besides the video, so it never got the attention it deserved.

This! Exactly my thinking. Its a good song and was a really good choice. and the hate only came when it failed to meet expectations.

not even in this chat people admit that. so lame of everyone except us.

was exactly the same with pretty girls, perfume, it should be easy, radar (first everyone was expecting a second toxic and it was from blackout and yada yada yada - but suddenly everybody acted like the always wanted one of the s h i tt y ballads of Circus)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Slumber Party was never a good single choice and most people didn't want it as a single.  

Its a good song and was a really good choice. and the hate only came when it failed to meet expectations.

not even in this chat people admit that.

was exactly the same with pretty girls, perfume, it should be easy, radar (first everyone was expecting a second toxic and it was from blackout and yada yada yada - but suddenly everybody acted like the always wanted one of the s h i tt y ballads of Circus)

Everything happened so weird that it seamed as if they DIDNT WANT to be the center of attention and #1 again. 

They avoided everything that could give Britney some classic britney controversy which EVERY succesfull era had.

1. Make Me as much as u love it was NOT  a britney spears lead club banger

2. So... Great that they wanted a change but at least they would have needed to release it with controversial visuals such as Davids video for it. Britney is a visual artist and every britney song that became pop culture had an iconic visual attached to it. An element, a dance move, or BOTH. The one MM had was SCRAPPED and changed for a forgetable disney video that had neither.

3. Britney was banging, looked maturely ****, centered, a grown up woman,funny and confortable at interviews. She was READY. But u have to admit MM live performances at TV shows were also disney like. Not memorable at all.

4. Thr comeback ti the VMAs was. HUGE DEAL for everyone, us, britney, and the insdustry itself. Yet MTVs commercial for it was more iconic than the actual performance with a low budget shadows effect. Yes, i loved her in it but because i stan. Britney and her team did NOT take advantage from that comeback.

5. BBMAs, along with the festivals she did was Britneys second prime and u know it. She delovered in a way that made me so happy. Not because of nimbers but seeing her so happy doing what she loves. But all this was promo for POM not GLORY as an era or album itself.

6. Slumber party video was great, good visuals, dancing, happy and **** britney. And then? Not one performance of sp in any place, tv show, awards show.

7. They constantly choose to use midtempo songs from the album, MM, SP, DUWCO, not even one smashing classic britney banger. And dont make me talk about private Chipmunk's show.

8. We even had a full live singing surprise song: something to talk about. again, SHE WAS READY. Yet they didnt chose to portray that anywere. That video got lost and forgotten in youtube. Why never again a britneh live singing performance in tv shiws such as the ones she used to do for everytime, not a girl, dont let me be the last to know? 

I can think of so many more factors but im sure most of u find this akready too long LOL so just put all this together and u get why an artist fails and is not appealing any more. Its a waste because she put her time effort and passion in 2016 but not in the places and manners it should have been used to make her a serious interesting artist for the general public one again

• Love 1
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods

Thank you @Urbanney for spilling ALL the tea! :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye: Especially for putting respect on Slumber Party, the unanimously loved song on Exhale that was rightfully chosen to be the second single. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

I have so much love for the Glory era. I feel like Britney exuded confidence, ***iness, and joy, something that we hadn’t seen in a minute. Her performances were hot, the music slayed, she had a packed promotional schedule, she felt relatable in her interviews/press stops, and she had her boys around her and seemed to have achieved a balance between “mom” and “performer” that she hadn’t really struck before. I always root for Britney, but Glory era just made me so proud of her and everything she has accomplished.  :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

However, there were obviously some frustrations throughout the era that dampened the energy that we all went into the era with. I think the Make Me video fiasco was a blow to fans, and potentially her VMA performance didn’t reach the hype that fans/the GP thought it would. Even though Britney had tons of promo lined up, her team never really capitalized on the energy that went along with those appearances. Like she performed at the VMAs, Apple Music Festival, iHeart Radio Festival, Carpool Karaoke, a few different TV performances, etc. and while they were all great, it never gave the album the attention it needed to gain more traction. And as we know are somewhat aware of, there were probably issues between her dad and conservatorship issues that most likely caused tensions behind the scenes.

That said, I think the Glory era had far more positive aspects than anything and, if we’re being realistic, may be the last full era we’ll get in a while. With that reality in mind, Glory really stands out and will always have a special place in my heart. I appreciated seeing Britney at her most radiant that she’s been in her adult life. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

tumblr_ocndg4RxEc1rkybl0o1_500.gif

tumblr_oefx64yKIK1us5kgqo2_400.gif

ezgif-2194910182.gif

dbaa5ad2ddd53f778d5e35f4b5fd7264dc371aed

3o6Ztqon9NDjWtnzdS.gif

• Love 3
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

Its a good song and was a really good choice. and the hate only came when it failed to meet expectations.

not even in this chat people admit that.

NOPE.  

4 hours ago, SlayOut said:

Thank you @Urbanney for spilling ALL the tea! :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye: Especially for putting respect on Slumber Party, the unanimously loved song on Exhale that was rightfully chosen to be the second single. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:I

Nope lol. Only like 50% of the people here wanted SP but yall were just the loud people who lack marketing skills.  I knew it was flop as soon as y'all were demanding it as a single.  

A few reasons I think.

- RCA sucks, they are a terrible label and ruin all eras tbh.

- The conservatorship/her Dad. She has no freedom as we know, she has to get EVERYTHING approved by her team and father which is ridiculous. I think that alone ruined a lot of it. When Britney did things HER WAY, she is incredible and it's always a success. The c-ship needs to end already and she deserves her life and to run her career how she wants.

- Make Me was a terrible lead single. I never liked it, it was boring and slow. Sounded IMO like a filler track. Slumber Party was a better single and should have been lead (without Tinashe) or Liar. Just my opinion.

• Love 2
Just now, Brat said:

Make Me wasn’t marketed right,  it should have been performed at BBMA and at the time the video should have been out.  DYWCO should have been released as a 2nd single with a neon inspired music video with choreography then slumber party. 

• Super Mods
3 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Nope lol. Only like 50% of the people here wanted SP but yall were just the loud people who lack marketing skills.  I knew it was flop as soon as y'all were demanding it as a single.  

Well we were loud and successful in making it a single! :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: Can’t relate, I see. :queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile:

It’s too bad DYWCO couldn’t be a single. It would’ve been a serve. I remember a lot of people were pushing for Better or No Seas Cortes, but they’re deluxe tracks, so not really single candidates. Love Me Down was another Exhale favorite but... I guess people weren’t loud enough. :awww_sarcastic_pout_britney_2006ney_idc_poor: And lacked the marketing skills. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Haha 3