Why did Britney's "Glory" era get cut so short?

I think the whole era got messed up because the release schedule with “Make Me...” was changed

I remember she did an interview with Robin Leach and he said the plans were to debut Make Me at the BBMA’s and kick off the era then and there.

https://www.newnownext.com/britney-spears-will-debut-new-single-at-billboard-music-awards/05/2016/

They had already shot the video and done the shoot for the album booklet with David.  Then the behind the scenes stuff started happening with the video.  They say it was because the video just didn’t make sense but I imagine it had something to do with her not being able to use some of the imagery because someone blocked it either on the c-ship side or the label side.  

I think she performed the mega mix there instead because the video wasn’t near ready and they were going to re-shoot it, so it got pushed like 2 entire months and we were just kind of confused.  

Then they released it and Katy released Rise for the Olympics, and Make Me just started falling slowly, and then the “official” video was embarrassing, and then the song was hot for like 2 months after and she didn’t promote it.

I also think they should have just edited Private Show to be a full music video.  She did the choreo in at least 3 different outfits, and she lipped the song so I think that was a missed opportunity too.

And lastly, and people have said it already, the artwork...

• Love 8
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, FastCar said:

I think the whole era got messed up because the release schedule with “Make Me...” was changed

I remember she did an interview with Robin Leach and he said the plans were to debut Make Me at the BBMA’s and kick off the era then and there.

https://www.newnownext.com/britney-spears-will-debut-new-single-at-billboard-music-awards/05/2016/

They had already shot the video and done the shoot for the album booklet with David.  Then the behind the scenes stuff started happening with the video.  They say it was because the video just didn’t make sense but I imagine it had something to do with her not being able to use some of the imagery because someone blocked it either on the c-ship side or the label side.  

I think she performed the mega mix there instead because the video wasn’t near ready and they were going to re-shoot it, so it got pushed like 2 entire months and we were just kind of confused.  

Then they released it and Katy released Rise for the Olympics, and Make Me just started falling slowly, and then the “official” video was embarrassing, and then the song was hot for like 2 months after and she didn’t promote it.

I also think they should have just edited Private Show to be a full music video.  She did the choreo in at least 3 different outfits, and she lipped the song so I think that was a missed opportunity too.

They cancelled the MM premiere at the BBMAs because they chose to add G-Eazy on the solo version. Very bad move as per usual, and I highly doubt that this was Britney's choice to add him on the song.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, FastCar said:

Omg I forgot Robin Leach and that first part about Make Me being planned for release at the BBMAs. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

If what you’re saying is true (the video being already filmed and the fact that it couldn’t be released messing up the timing for everything else), it makes sense. Because it seems like the Make Me video getting scrapped is also what led to the scrapped artwork, which was another disappointment to fans.

Wow. :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

• Like 1

I don´t think it was Britney´s fault. Her team happened, as always. I think we would actually get Matches feat. BSB as the first single and a VMA performance with them. I can imagine when it would go after Britney´s will we would get at least 6 singles as we got during the Britney era. We would get the original album cover, the original Make Me video. Maybe a medley of the Glory songs instead of her old hits. Such chaos we got ( ugly album cover, worst video of her career with Make Me) happened when people meddle. I think she became too strong for her team. They were afraid that the public would wake up and realize she doesn't need the c-ship anymore. We would get her best era since In The Zone.:brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

• Love 1

The thing about her team is that they give up easily. Once the album did not debut at #1, they stopped every promotion. They dont really care about longevity. There are many albums that didnt debut at #1 but ended up selling good amount in the end because of continuous promos, but her team just likes to do promos during the week of the release and then stop.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Body ache said:

The budget was used for the MM music video. Her label didn't want to spend that much for SP. Neither song sold the album. In fact the whole fiasco and official MM music video turned off people from the era. Britney's first single rollouts are always top notch and hyped. Once the hype was met with an unappealing music video/performance, then it really ruined the era. SP had some hope but it didn't get any promotion.

It almost made me cry when you said Britney's first single rollout are always top notch and hyped. That is so true...the MM video that was released is not up to par. To compare it to her collection of past music videos makes me ill.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ElToxico said:

They used unpopular songs to sell the album and it fizzled out. Only Britney stans kept it a float.

I could randomly select any other song from that album that would have been better singles than Make Me or Slumber Party....

I agree with that. I would add that Invitation would have been a MUCH better buzz single/perfume tie in. Private show was cringe to me. Imagine a perfume called "Invitation" with that song instead. Would have been so much better.

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Honestly I loved how bubbly she was and her personality was shining so much! I’ll always be devastated this amazing album only had two singles :( 

I wish they promoted slumber party! There were so many single choices, I really wanted Better/Just Luv Me as singles.

I loved her interviews that era, the performances, the festivals she did - honestly she did do a lot more promo than she has in a long time. But there was a lack of promo at the times music was released. 

I’ll never forgive her team for cutting the era short.

Yes! My dream at the time was the third single would be "Better" with a music video shot in Hawaii. I think she should have quickly moved on to another song when SP didn't gain traction. They just cannot pick her singles.

• Like 1

The Album have ~330 million streams on Spotify which is equivalent to 220K album sales

it also sold 150k in physical/ digital downloads

youtube is close to 200 million which makes equivalent 130k sales 

total era album sales is ~ 800k worldwide

the album did good considering Britney is not a streaming artist. 

for B10 she really need to focus on streaming platforms. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sourab Patodi said:

The Album have ~330 million streams on Spotify which is equivalent to 220K album sales

it also sold 150k in physical/ digital downloads

youtube is close to 200 million which makes equivalent 130k sales 

total era album sales is ~ 800k worldwide

the album did good considering Britney is not a streaming artist. 

for B10 she really need to focus on streaming platforms. 

Her label needs to invest in getting her on Playlists covers on Spotify, Apple Music etc on top of getting banners.

That’s what other artists do. Taylor’s literally the first thing you’ll see on these platforms everytime she releases new music

• Like 3
3 hours ago, FastCar said:

the video was shot starting june third, so they couldnt have cancelled it when the bbma's happened

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FastCar said:

I think it was supposed to be a part of the Billboard performance along with the medley but it was rumoured that the release of the song was postponed to add G-Eazy to the song (hence why there was a solo version of the song being sent to radio). The video was supposed to be released shortly after the song but since they scrapped the original video, it was postponed and we got that mess of a Randee video instead

• Like 2
6 hours ago, 2K16NEY said:

Make Me music video killed the hype. Imagine if the original video had been released... everyone was excited for Brit’s big ‘comeback’ from that Britney Jean mess :( 

The original Glory cover did NO favors. It was basic and boring, I mean, it was a screen grab like come ON RCA!!!!!!! 

The interviews... she never talks about the music or breaks down recording the album and that would certainly help propel the album up the charts.

Then Slumber Party... no promotion... no attention. Then nothing else. 

Since Femme Fatale, her album rollouts are so ****** messy and lackluster. Glory had soo much potential, the potential was OOZING when Make Me was released... then it was downhill from there. 

EXACTLY. She needs a 'Womanizer' type rollout if she is ever going to be strong again in GP and charts. Otherwise, we will love her forever and always and she'll be a Vegas queen and have a career like Paula Abdul. 

Glory is my fave album by Britney. First of all, I think they didn’t release a 3rd single, because of the low sales. 2nd, I think that with better cover, the album could have more sales. Also Make Me wasnt a bad 1st single choice, but it was a basic R&B song. The era had to be iconic and I think that Do You Wanna Come Over was a perfect choice for that. Like imagine an aesthetic music video and killer performances. I can imagine VMAs with something like that

It was going to be way more iconic than the performance we got. Also at the BBMAs she really had to perform also the new single and they had to release at least the audio (if they couldnt make the MV so fast) on the night of the performance. Change your mind and Love Me Down could’ve been hits too if they were released as singles. Also the era deserved more performances like at the AMAs, or Ellen or Jimmy Fallon and etc. If this whole era was made by JIVE and not RCA, the era was going to be huge and iconic. :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

• Love 3

I think it was really stupid to have a song like beachy song like better on the album and not release it during the summer as the first single. 

This is my ideal glory singles list

1. Better ( a nice hot beachy song that would did great in July 2016) 

2. No seas Cortes (Spanish pop was really in that year)

3. Just love me (released in fall, very Selena Gomez vibes would’ve been a hit)

4. Liar (this would’ve been the epic song needed to close out the era, basically the “TOXIC” of glory) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrPieceOfMe said:

Glory is my fave album by Britney. First of all, I think they didn’t release a 3rd single, because of the low sales. 2nd, I think that with better cover, the album could have more sales. Also Make Me wasnt a bad 1st single choice, but it was a basic R&B song. The era had to be iconic and I think that Do You Wanna Come Over was a perfect choice for that. Like imagine an aesthetic music video and killer performances. I can imagine VMAs with something like that

It was going to be way more iconic than the performance we got. Also at the BBMAs she really had to perform also the new single and they had to release at least the audio (if they couldnt make the MV so fast) on the night of the performance. Change your mind and Love Me Down could’ve been hits too if they were released as singles. Also the era deserved more performances like at the AMAs, or Ellen or Jimmy Fallon and etc. If this whole era was made by JIVE and not RCA, the era was going to be huge and iconic. :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

Ugh that performance has so much potential. It was a 6.5/10 for me when i saw it and i wish Britney was more fluid here and actually singing live (because the choreography wasnt even DWAD level for her to lip sync it). The visuals and costumes were stunning so i wish she was more free and liberated in the performance :janet_jackson_chewing_eating_food:

• Love 2
6 hours ago, FastCar said:

6 hours ago, Urbanney said:

Omg I forgot Robin Leach and that first part about Make Me being planned for release at the BBMAs. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

If what you’re saying is true (the video being already filmed and the fact that it couldn’t be released messing up the timing for everything else), it makes sense. Because it seems like the Make Me video getting scrapped is also what led to the scrapped artwork, which was another disappointment to fans.

Wow. :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

No.

These informations are not true.

Here's what happened

So I think it was like in april (maybe March), from what I remember, RCA team left New York to Europe where they had meetings at different Sony Music offices (I think it was Berlin, Paris, London) and played the new songs that were supposed to be released that year. All the hype was for Justin Timberlake and Pink new songs, both from Max Martin, both catchy energetic pop hits so Make me was played after that and honestly the fact it was midtempo made them feel like summer should be for the two Max Martin songs and have Britney for the end of summer //September. So anyway the release for Make me was delayed ( G-eazy was already on the track by the way). The original video was NOT shot and there was NO plan for a performance at the Billboard awards for Make me. Since the release was for later that year it was never (or at least not in march/april) planned to have Britney perform Make me at that ceremony. Absolutly not. It was always a mix of her songs to 1 : sell Vegas show 2 : show she still got it and start a hype for the upcoming album.

Then, they shot the Lachapelle video but something went wrong between him and Britney (and//or Britney's team), the project was scrapped. It has nothing to do with RCA refusing the pictures because it's showing a cage or chains. These claims are conspiracy theories that people like to repeat on the internet and I can tell you it's NOT true at all. I think people should remember the label will never throw to the trashcan a project for wich they spent millions of dollars. Thankfully they had couple of brands sponsoring the video. (Also I don't know why people believe such things since RCA released these same pictures now in 2020)

Then a new video was shot and the rest is history.

Voilà my friends !

:wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 2
  • Like 2