Why did Britney's "Glory" era get cut so short?

38 minutes ago, Alio said:

No.

These informations are not true.

Here's what happened

So I think it was like in april (maybe March), from what I remember, RCA team left New York to Europe where they had meetings at different Sony Music offices (I think it was Berlin, Paris, London) and played the new songs that were supposed to be released that year. All the hype was for Justin Timberlake and Pink new songs, both from Max Martin, both catchy energetic pop hits so Make me was played after that and honestly the fact it was midtempo made them feel like summer should be for the two Max Martin songs and have Britney for the end of summer //September. So anyway the release for Make me was delayed ( G-eazy was already on the track by the way). The original video was NOT shot and there was NO plan for a performance at the Billboard awards for Make me. Since the release was for later that year it was never (or at least not in march/april) planned to have Britney perform Make me at that ceremony. Absolutly not. It was always a mix of her songs to 1 : sell Vegas show 2 : show she still got it and start a hype for the upcoming album.

Then, they shot the Lachapelle video but something went wrong between him and Britney (and//or Britney's team), the project was scrapped. It has nothing to do with RCA refusing the pictures because it's showing a cage or chains. These claims are conspiracy theories that people like to repeat on the internet and I can tell you it's NOT true at all. I think people should remember the label will never throw to the trashcan a project for wich they spent millions of dollars. Thankfully they had couple of brands sponsoring the video. (Also I don't know why people believe such things since RCA released these same pictures now in 2020)

Then a new video was shot and the rest is history.

Voilà my friends !

:wink_britney_everytime_white:

True. It wasn’t RCA that canned LaChappelle’s work, it was LaChappelle and Britney/her team. I do remember that fight between Brit and LaChappelle on the set of Make Me. I wonder if that played a part. What ‘didn’t work’ as Larry Rudolph put it? Britney knew what she was filming when she was doing it? Was it the cages? and chains? And her team was late to catch on? We need David LaChappelle to spill the DEETS

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

MM wasn’t the right lead single choice. It’s a mediocre song. If I’m Dancing or Man on the Moon would have been a better choice.

I’d have still releases Slumber Party as a single but perhaps not the second (maybe 4th). She should have promoted her second single more. 

Songs like SITS and Mood Ring should have been on the original album and replaced songs like Private Show, Clumsy and What You Need. 

She should have did a Glory tour outside of Vegas where it was themed and she did mainly songs from her new album (ie less of the Greatest Hits). She also should have focused more on the album during promotion rather than the recycled residency hits like WB, Slave etc. She could have been performing songs like Better and Love Me Down to showcase the album.

Honestly 2016 was such a good time for her career I just think the single choices were all wrong. She was promoting a lot during Glory and she was on fire! 

• Love 1

Thank you for highlighting all that the Glory era gave us. It did start out to be a very huge era. 

I'm all about the music and the album was amazing, her best work in years. it was an absolute crime that they didn't do it justice. I remember writing a flop thread about how each song would do well as a single. I stand by that. Even Clumsy for being a tad dated/britney jeanish - if it had a video on par with SP I wouldn't have been mad. 

I still think Tinashe should not have been added to slumber party. I think she should've just been a **** actress for the video to give it some extra buzz for the people who knew of her, but overall I think the gp would've been more into the song if they didn't have to also figure out who this b-level singer was. (no shade to Tinashe, I love her, and they're sleeping on her too) but I just think Britney isn't at a level right now where she can just attach herself to lessers and people think she's 'back'. Thank ******* god the video was amazing though after the MM mess. We deserved that and so did the song/album. 

:mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 2
4 hours ago, alleyesonme393 said:

Listen. I love the Queen to death but in my opinion her last two eras didn’t do that well because the GP got over “lazy Britney.” 

I’m in no way insulting Britney but when you have an artist who literally lip syncs 99% of the time while putting half hearted effort into their performances for over a decade it’s going to have an impact outside the fan base. 

We all know Britney has not been fully engaged in her career since she was forced back into the limelight before she was ready and has been forced to do work she probably hasn’t wanted to do in over 10 + years.

You have all these new younger pop stars who BTW could NEVER hold a candle to the power, performance and skills Britney had during her prime and STILL has but just doesn’t use them...but they work their mediocre ***** off while promoting the **** out of their material especially on social media and people eat it up.

I personally think Britney went on a career self sabotage a long time ago in hopes that people would move on and leave her alone. Sadly she’ll never be left alone because of who she is and how legendary she is but I think I’m getting my point across here.

I don’t think it has anything to do with people thinking MM was a “mediocre”‘ song. I mean listen to half the crap that are at the top of the charts. They are basic as **** and played to death but because those artists have a team that know how to promote their clients in today’s world they are successful.

All Britney would need (if SHE wanted) is the fire in her heart again/ a brand new team and she could EASILY be the number one artist again because she always has and always will be THAT *****.

End rant.

This. 

Honestly she needs to focus on music. 

Britney seems to have little involvements with her music and it deff turns the new generation off. 

Which makes sense with everything going on. 

• Like 2

You could tell she was really happy shortly before she started the era. The medley performance at the BBMAs proved it, she really tried to bring back her A game that time, something we haven't seen for YEARS. Something happened in the MM music video and all of a sudden it's like she just gave up and was ready to drop the era. I think she was pissed that things didn't go her way ONCE AGAIN and just said ''f*k this **** if it's not my way I won't do it''. And then 2017 happened, it all went downhill from that point. :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Alio said:

No.

These informations are not true.

Here's what happened

So I think it was like in april (maybe March), from what I remember, RCA team left New York to Europe where they had meetings at different Sony Music offices (I think it was Berlin, Paris, London) and played the new songs that were supposed to be released that year. All the hype was for Justin Timberlake and Pink new songs, both from Max Martin, both catchy energetic pop hits so Make me was played after that and honestly the fact it was midtempo made them feel like summer should be for the two Max Martin songs and have Britney for the end of summer //September. So anyway the release for Make me was delayed ( G-eazy was already on the track by the way). The original video was NOT shot and there was NO plan for a performance at the Billboard awards for Make me. Since the release was for later that year it was never (or at least not in march/april) planned to have Britney perform Make me at that ceremony. Absolutly not. It was always a mix of her songs to 1 : sell Vegas show 2 : show she still got it and start a hype for the upcoming album.

Then, they shot the Lachapelle video but something went wrong between him and Britney (and//or Britney's team), the project was scrapped. It has nothing to do with RCA refusing the pictures because it's showing a cage or chains. These claims are conspiracy theories that people like to repeat on the internet and I can tell you it's NOT true at all. I think people should remember the label will never throw to the trashcan a project for wich they spent millions of dollars. Thankfully they had couple of brands sponsoring the video. (Also I don't know why people believe such things since RCA released these same pictures now in 2020)

Then a new video was shot and the rest is history.

Voilà my friends !

:wink_britney_everytime_white:

your "theory" is just the same as everyone else. Speculation. or were you at the pool party too? I doubt it. Robin is a true insider and I believe him over you lol

1 minute ago, mannequin19 said:

it doesnt sound anything like a rihanna song. and even if it did, its still good lol. artists are allowed to experiment and switch things up

Sis, please.  The beat, the instrumental is all straight from Rihanna's Unapologetic B side library.  Unfort, all of the "Britney-esque" songs on Glory lack great choruses.  TBH the chill pop trend sucked to me so thats why Glory isn't in my trinity but I must admit MOTM and SITS are both amazing tracks that add something great to Britney's discography.  I wish "Invitation" was the 1st single from Glory tbh.  Anyways, Slumber Party is the last song that I wanted as a single.

Just now, jordeezy said:

Sis, please.  The beat, the instrumental is all straight from Rihanna's Unapologetic B side library.  Unfort, all of the "Britney-esque" songs on Glory lack great choruses.  TBH the chill pop trend sucked to me so thats why Glory isn't in my trinity but I must admit MOTM and SITS are both amazing tracks that add something great to Britney's discography.  I wish "Invitation" was the 1st single from Glory tbh.  Anyways, Slumber Party is the last song that I wanted as a single.

it doesnt sound anything like the b sides from unapologetic imo. and you just said chill pop was a trend, therefore making slumber party, one of the most unique songs on the album, a single was a good idea. it literally copied the intro from hotline bling so i can see her team thinking it wouldve caught on too, like how talk dirty was popular and then ariana's team made problem w the same type of chorus. and then fifth harmony followed up with worth it

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mannequin19 said:

it doesnt sound anything like the b sides from unapologetic imo. and you just said chill pop was a trend, therefore making slumber party, one of the most unique songs on the album, a single was a good idea. it literally copied the intro from hotline bling so i can see her team thinking it wouldve caught on too, like how talk dirty was popular and then ariana's team made problem w the same type of chorus. and then fifth harmony followed up with worth it

I don't know...I just don't follow the same logic.  I think people want Britney to release songs that sound like her own, not stale Drake or Rihanna leftovers.  Everyone loves a good Britney dance track and DYWCO was the closest thing Glory could have given them.  I think they should have rush released DYWCO once they discarded the original MM video.