The Guardian says Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie." Do you agree?

1 minute ago, Jordan Miller said:

:xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

Intersting. Idk I don't really get that vibe. I feel like you're onto something with Camila, but Dua is a huge star (and not hated by most unlike Camila unfortunately for her) 

I think it's right, i don't really hear her name , like obviously new rules had a huge success on the radio and then  the "i moved on already " song i forgot the name right now , but she's not being talked about for some reason , unlike Billie Eillish for example who seems to have more personality and presence and people are more likely to know her name ......

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

How?

Dua’s star power is a growing one, on can tell from the evolution she’s had in both her albums. Even if she doesn’t become a superstar, her craft speaks for her. When she started (Be The One, Hotter Than Hell) many outlets and critics recognized her.

Does she have the looks of a model? Yes. Is she more than a song and a talented woman? Oh hell yeah 

Um, no. Do they ever say this about make artists? Are they ever like the weekend out michael’d Michael Jackson or Justin Bieber out Timberlake Justin Timberlake? No. 

I love Gaga and Dua, I like Kylie but I’ve just never been super into her. But like all 3 are COMPLETELY different to me. If anything, Dua gives me Cher vibes. Just because all 3 of them make dance pop music and are women? They’re voices are completely different. Dua can’t dance like Gaga or Kylie. Nothing about future nostalgia seems like it would be a Gaga album. I can maybe see a little bit of a Kylie comparison because it’s so leaning into Disco... but I mean, Kylie has been doing disco for years. While FN is def one of the best albums of the year, but I don’t think it’s like it had the impact with the gp like The Fame Monster or Born This Way had, I mean I still don’t think Dua is like a household name. She deserves to be, but I for sure don’t get Gaga vibes when I listen to FN...

I hate how the media loves to pit women against women, especially in this case where they're comparing a relatively new artist to Kylie and Gaga. That said, Dua might've outperformed them, but I don't feel that she outdid their artistry or their legacies. She's just a shiny new toy for people to play with.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

dua-gaga-kylie.jpg.a168197dd88c262cc89de202fadc7eb6.jpg

The Guardian published a piece ranking the top 50 albums of 2020. They claim that Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie."

I don't love the idea of pitting women against each other like this. All three had incredible albums. However, there is no denying that Dua had a pretty exceptional year (with no signs of slowing down rolling into 2021). 

What do you think? Did she out "Gaga" Gaga and out "Kylie" Kylie? :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

Here's the excerpt:

She also out Katie’d Katy, out tailored Taylor, out Beyoncé’d Beyoncé and out Grande’d Ariana this year as well!

• Haha 3

I can see some similarities between them but they are all in different lanes so I don’t get what they’re saying :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what:

Was Dua the “It” Pop girl? Yes and no. Shes young, hot and fresh to the game. It also helps that she delivered an infectiously good album.

Gaga at this point is a veteran and she also delivered a great album inspired by 90s house music. 

Kylie is an icon and went back to her roots with a great Disco album. 

All three kept Pop music alive when Trap music was dominating :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

3 hours ago, ExXL said:

Maybe her album was more successful this year , i don't really know about terms of sales , but she already had her peak with new rules , and i don't see her being as big as lady gaga in her prime ? But yes , her last album was very good, i just wish it was more original and less sampled :shaktongue_shakira_red:

Don’t Start Now was a bigger hit than New Rules what do you mean? :roxxy:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block