The Guardian says Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie." Do you agree?

I may agree she's might be one of the hottest musicians right now (according to Exale :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I really don't have any more parameters) but I think it's just a natural thing to happen, because well, she's one of the current artists, and young audiences will obviously consume and support more a new artist than a Gaga who's 10 years or more into her career or Kylie which is the triple or almost four times that. 

"out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie" implies she achieved her success by doing the same thing that Gaga and Kylie do, but better, and for the few things I've seen of her, it doesn't seem to me like she's anything like any of those singers. 

10 years from now, there'll be a new artist, and they'll claim she "out Dua'd Dua" or "out Lipa'd Lipa" or whatever but I think it's a silly comparison.

If they want to compare or pit an artist against another, put her against Ariana or William or Taylor (well, Taylor is not that new anymore, but she kinda still appeals to the young, I guess). 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

(according to Exale :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: I really don't have any more parameters)

Most Streamed Female Artists Globally:

1. Billie Eilish
  2. Taylor Swift
  3. Ariana Grande
  4. Dua Lipa
  5. Halsey

Most Streamed Albums Globally:

1. YHLQMDLG, Bad Bunny 
  2. After Hours, The Weeknd
  3. Hollywood’s Bleeding, Post Malone 
  4. Fine Line, Harry Styles 
  5. Future Nostalgia, Dua Lipa (most streamed female album)

Most Streamed Songs Globally:

1. “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd
  2. “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I 
  3. “The Box” by Roddy Ricch 
  4. “Roses – Imanbek Remix” by Imanbek and SAINt JHN
  5. “Don’t Start Now” by Dua Lipa 

:matches:

• Love 1
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

:shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:.

Future Nostalgia is a basic pop album that was done quite mediocrely, The Fame is an album released 12 years ago yet it's still remembered and Can't Get You Out Of My Head is a song that will forever be cemented in pop culture. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Wrong wrong wrong and wroooooong about FN. Right about the rest.

• Love 2

Dua Lipa kinda has the Camila Cabello syndrome : her hits are bigger than her. 

Havana was more famous than Camila Cabello , no one really cared about Camila as a celebrity or as an artist, her career never really took off, people were just carelessly chilling and bopping to the song.

It's the same for Dua, she's just a cute model covergirl singing cute generic manifactured corporate "disco" pop songs that she didn't write or compose. At the end of the day she has no real artistic identity, there's no lore, there's no mythology , she just goes with the flow. she's just a bored , dead in the eye pretty girl singing cute radio fillers that will be forgetten in 15 years from now. 

• Love 2
Just now, NotLouTaylor said:

It's the same for Dua, she's just a cute model covergirl singing cute generic manifactured corporate "disco" pop songs that she didn't write or compose. At the end of the day she has no real artistic identity, there's no lore, there's no mythology , she just goes with the flow. she's just a bored , dead in the eye pretty girl singing cute radio fillers that will be forgetten in 15 years from now. 

What? Dua Lipa was the co-writer for the whole Future Nostalgia album, and had ton of involvement with the album and it’s direction :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

What? Dua Lipa was the co-writer for the whole Future Nostalgia album, and had ton of involvement with the album and it’s direction :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

I didn't really follow the FN era closely,  i heard she used to write her own songs during her first album but it seemed like that at one point she was given songs other ppl wrote when she collaborated with some DJs like Calvin Harris ? It's cool to hear that she's involved tho :katybelt_perry_witness_yelling_singing:

It doesn't really bother me tho since I'm a fan of Britney and a lot of japanese pop stars who don't write anything.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Havana was more famous than Camila Cabello , no one really cared about Camila as a celebrity or as an artist, her career never really took off, people were just carelessly chilling and bopping to the song.

Yeah... wrong 

• Love 1
  • Leader
30 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

:xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

Intersting. Idk I don't really get that vibe. I feel like you're onto something with Camila, but Dua is a huge star (and not hated by most unlike Camila unfortunately for her) 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Maybe her album was more successful this year , i don't really know about terms of sales , but she already had her peak with new rules , and i don't see her being as big as lady gaga in her prime ? But yes , her last album was very good, i just wish it was more original and less sampled :shaktongue_shakira_red:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block