The Guardian says Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie." Do you agree?

9 hours ago, Adriannn said:

Yeah... wrong 

9 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

:xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

Intersting. Idk I don't really get that vibe. I feel like you're onto something with Camila, but Dua is a huge star (and not hated by most unlike Camila unfortunately for her) 

Ok maybe i was a bit over-dramatic lol

But still, i feel like people aren't really fascinated by Dua as a person,  like they used to be with celebs like Brit, MJ, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna, Amy Winehouse, Justin Bieber, Gaga, Billie Eillish etc

There is no "Dua Lipa Mania" like there was a "Bieber mania", a "Beatles mania" or a "Britney mania"

But maybe it will come later in her career ? 

For me , the last huge popstar was Justin Bieber, whether you like him or not, people had an unhealthy obsession concerning his whole life/existence.  Dua never created as much infatuation, fascination, hatred, or indignation as people like Bieber and Britney did. It was like following a real life soap opera.

10 hours ago, Adriannn said:

Yeah... wrong 

10 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

:xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

Intersting. Idk I don't really get that vibe. I feel like you're onto something with Camila, but Dua is a huge star (and not hated by most unlike Camila unfortunately for her) 

25 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Ok maybe i was a bit over-dramatic lol

But still, i feel like people aren't really fascinated by Dua as a person,  like they used to be with celebs like Brit, MJ, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna, Amy Winehouse, Justin Bieber, Gaga, Billie Eillish etc

There is no "Dua Lipa Mania" like there was a "Bieber mania", a "Beatles mania" or a "Britney mania"

But maybe it will come later in her career ? 

For me , the last huge popstar was Justin Bieber, whether you like him or not, people had an unhealthy obsession concerning his whole life/existence.  Dua never created as much infatuation, fascination, hatred, or indignation as people like Bieber and Britney did. It was like following a real life soap opera.

Maybe it's location differences but in North America at least, @NotLouTaylor is right to say that Dua isn't a huge star. Where I am, at best she's a B-list Celebrity and that's at best. She has hit singles and decent chart performance but the songs overshadow her and I have never heard her name said in real life. I've heard she's really popular outside of North America so maybe there is some craze going on with her popularity in other parts of the world.

Maybe it's just me but even if Dua participates in the creative process, the songs tend to overshadow her because there's nothing the American media or public see as particularly standing out that's completely new in terms of personality. All I can say about Dua is that I think she's hard-working and talented, but that's such a common troupe that it doesn't stand out anymore. I'm not saying Dua HAS to change her personality but the public just doesn't see anything that particularly stands out. Like I'm sure people would know Don't Start Now or Break My Heart but not know her name. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 2

It's so stupid. This lame competition when they are not even close to similar. Just because you use a genre to mix it with your music, doesn't mean you are the same. As a performer, there is no way. I think she is the weakest performer of the three, but her record was pretty consistent. Why the comparison? It's stupid. 

12 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Every year, a new fad out "inserts name here"-s "insert name here".

Dua had a cute album, nothing more.

"Fad" :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

This "fad" you're talking about has had consistent success with her debut album and still retained furthermore success with this era and has collected some of the biggest hits of the last few years (New Rules, IDGAF, One Kiss, Dont Start Now, Physical) and is still to this day one of the most streamed female artist alive. But I guess since you stan someone who Is too afraid of becoming a fad, I dont think u would understand :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

"Fad" :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

This "fad" you're talking about has had consistent success with her debut album and still retained furthermore success with this era and has collected some of the biggest hits of the last few years (New Rules, IDGAF, One Kiss, Dont Start Now, Physical) and is still to this day one of the most streamed female artist alive. But I guess since you stan someone who Is too afraid of becoming a fad, I dont think u would understand :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Literally her only memorable hits are New Rules and Don't Start Now. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Also to be honest, no one really knows who Dua is in the public, at least in North America or even more specific, where I am. No one cared about the dancing thing because literally no one knew that happened. Dua hasn't struck any memorability with herself to the general public but her SONGs have. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

No, not yet. FN is a solid album which I enjoyed and bought, but she's not yet to beat icons like Gaga or Kylie. If she continues to bring out more, then we can tak about outdoing. Why. To me it's because I never reach for this album since summer. Yet the other two have lots of songs that have replay value over decade  or almost two! So I wish Dua luck.

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Literally her only memorable hits are New Rules and Don't Start Now. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Also to be honest, no one really knows who Dua is in the public, at least in North America or even more specific, where I am. No one cared about the dancing thing because literally no one knew that happened. Dua hasn't struck any memorability with herself to the general public but her SONGs have. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Where you live, it has sold 40k copies which makes it a gold certified record, so much for a “not discussed” album :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Not u considering the school you go the whole of Canada :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

And how funny you talk about her being only relevant in North America when Future Nostalgia went top 3 in over 20+ countries (#2 in the country you live in btw :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:) and is eligible for gold in various countries. Plus, Future Nostalgia has sold nearly 2 million copies around the globe and the album didn’t even go #1 in the US lol but she’s supposedly only relevant there :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Also, New Rules and Don’t Start Now aren’t her only memorable hits when the whole DUA LIPA era and Physical, Break My Heart too have memorability attached to their names considering they have been featured in almost every year-end best pop song list :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

No lol

I like the girl, she's talented (no doubt about that), and is definitely a threat in the making to a lot of girls, but right now? She has one acclaimed album under her belt, and a few hits to her name. The girl doesn't have a brand and that is what stops her from outdoing Gaga and Kylie. Both of them have brands, Kylie the hot disco queen and Gaga the weird girl who does weird ****. Dua is literally just a pretty face , the model turned singer. 

Do I think she will outdo them in the future? Only if she plays her cards right. Pop stardom is built on brands and I believe Dua knows that, so we'll see what happens.

But for the time being, she's just a brand-less pop girl who makes hits. I mean, ****, Ariana had tons of hits, but she didn't have a brand until around Dangerous Woman; it's basically when she became the girl who could sing, but has a ponytail! She's obviously evolved past that now, but it was her first indication of having a type of brand. 

So yeah, no, this is an article clearly written by a Twitter Gay who wants to rile up little monsters (Kylie fans too, but everyone knows Monsters are more aggressive than 90% of bases).

They just try to sell a bunch of lil quick articles. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I absolutely agree. Not only did Dua deliver the best pop album of 2020, she doubled down and gave us not only 1, but 2 remix albums, and a really innovative concert with Studio 2054. 

Chromatica is a lot of fun, but doesn't quite hit as hard as Future Nostalgia- it will be interesting to see how it ages as well. 

Disco was boring AF, and overly redundant. 

On 12/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, PickleSpears said:

Absolytely not. Gaga and Kylie have personalities, good videos, great songs, great performances, interesting style, can actually move their bodies. Dua has a few good songs and that's it. She doesn't come close to Gaga or Kylie.

:gerlwat_sunglasses_cigarette_looking_what_blink:Have you seen her live streaming concert?  She was moving her body the entire timeartwork-440x440-5.jpg

1 hour ago, HoneyBooBoo said:

:gerlwat_sunglasses_cigarette_looking_what_blink:Have you seen her live streaming concert?  She was moving her body the entire timeartwork-440x440-5.jpg

I didn't bother with it bc almost every single performance she's had until this point has been bad. I just don't see her as a good performer so watching a whole concert didn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll give this a shot if I get bored.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block