The Guardian says Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie." Do you agree?

• Leader

dua-gaga-kylie.jpg.a168197dd88c262cc89de202fadc7eb6.jpg

The Guardian published a piece ranking the top 50 albums of 2020. They claim that Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie."

I don't love the idea of pitting women against each other like this. All three had incredible albums. However, there is no denying that Dua had a pretty exceptional year (with no signs of slowing down rolling into 2021). 

What do you think? Did she out "Gaga" Gaga and out "Kylie" Kylie? :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

Here's the excerpt:

I suspect that Lipa will: 2020 is the year she became a pop behemoth. She transcended the “great look, serviceable songs” box she’d been marketed into and became one of pop’s most exciting major players: she out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie. In late November, more than 5 million people tuned in to her Studio 2054 livestream to watch her cavort around London’s Printworks with a gang of dancers and pop guests, heavy with product placement, meme-able moments and bookended by giant Lipa-helmed brand endorsements. It was enormous fun but less illegal rave than high-budget school disco, recalling the satire of Josie and the *****cats and images of the Spice Girls travelling through Times Square in Spiceworld, their own gigantic faces grinning down from every billboard. There was no hint of wryness here: Lipa is making hay while the sun shines. And why not, for a pop star who’s been building to megastar status breaking through when arenas are closed and clubs left dark?

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

7 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

If you want to get into the grammar of things, the author basically turned their names into verbs in the past tense:

• to stay (infinitive) - stayed (past)
  • to try (infinitive) - tried (past)
  • to carry (infinitive) - carried (past)
  • to Gaga - Gaga'd (past)
  • to Kylie - Kylie'd (past)

In this case, the d from the past tense form is added to say that Dua Lipa did what Gaga does BUT EVEN BETTER. Same goes for Kylie - the article is saying that Dua Lipa did what Kylie does BUT EVEN BETTER. I might have made this a bit too complicated, but I tried. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

Ohh now I understand. Thanks bby.. it’s really confusing sometimes when the writer tries put sassy things in their articles 😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I agree. The songs were smashes, and were just perfectly executed. Honestly it did remind me of The Fame album in that every song just was a perfect pop song, no fillers, and just seemed to fill a void in what current dance pop music was missing!

Chromatica? Disco? No, not so much. 

33 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

They're not necessarily comparing them vocally here but rather artistically in the pop genre. 

I don't like the expression they used but we have to give credit where it's due. Dua Lipa deserves album of the year. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Because Kylie did disco the same year Dua did? Idk 

Dua never released Cool as a single :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad: