The Guardian says Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie." Do you agree?

• Leader

dua-gaga-kylie.jpg.a168197dd88c262cc89de202fadc7eb6.jpg

The Guardian published a piece ranking the top 50 albums of 2020. They claim that Dua Lipa "out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie."

I don't love the idea of pitting women against each other like this. All three had incredible albums. However, there is no denying that Dua had a pretty exceptional year (with no signs of slowing down rolling into 2021). 

What do you think? Did she out "Gaga" Gaga and out "Kylie" Kylie? :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

Here's the excerpt:

I suspect that Lipa will: 2020 is the year she became a pop behemoth. She transcended the “great look, serviceable songs” box she’d been marketed into and became one of pop’s most exciting major players: she out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie. In late November, more than 5 million people tuned in to her Studio 2054 livestream to watch her cavort around London’s Printworks with a gang of dancers and pop guests, heavy with product placement, meme-able moments and bookended by giant Lipa-helmed brand endorsements. It was enormous fun but less illegal rave than high-budget school disco, recalling the satire of Josie and the *****cats and images of the Spice Girls travelling through Times Square in Spiceworld, their own gigantic faces grinning down from every billboard. There was no hint of wryness here: Lipa is making hay while the sun shines. And why not, for a pop star who’s been building to megastar status breaking through when arenas are closed and clubs left dark?

7 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

If you want to get into the grammar of things, the author basically turned their names into verbs in the past tense:

• to stay (infinitive) - stayed (past)
  • to try (infinitive) - tried (past)
  • to carry (infinitive) - carried (past)
  • to Gaga - Gaga'd (past)
  • to Kylie - Kylie'd (past)

In this case, the d from the past tense form is added to say that Dua Lipa did what Gaga does BUT EVEN BETTER. Same goes for Kylie - the article is saying that Dua Lipa did what Kylie does BUT EVEN BETTER. I might have made this a bit too complicated, but I tried. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

Ohh now I understand. Thanks bby.. it’s really confusing sometimes when the writer tries put sassy things in their articles 😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Brat said:

Why does Dua keep getting compared to Kylie?  Their voices are so different :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

They're not necessarily comparing them vocally here but rather artistically in the pop genre. 

I don't like the expression they used but we have to give credit where it's due. Dua Lipa deserves album of the year. 

• Love 2

I agree. The songs were smashes, and were just perfectly executed. Honestly it did remind me of The Fame album in that every song just was a perfect pop song, no fillers, and just seemed to fill a void in what current dance pop music was missing!

Chromatica? Disco? No, not so much. 

33 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

They're not necessarily comparing them vocally here but rather artistically in the pop genre. 

I don't like the expression they used but we have to give credit where it's due. Dua Lipa deserves album of the year. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Because Kylie did disco the same year Dua did? Idk 

Dua never released Cool as a single :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block