Does the Everytime video prove you can't 'blame Kevin Federline'?

zxcvb

Given that Britney actually composed the song and had specific instructions for David Lachapelle for her to die in it, the message was clear: she was done with her fame and the industry by that time in Spring 2004.

No matter how much she says she 'loves performing' or how much fans say she 'loves' to record and perform, HER message was crystal clear. 

You didn't have to be a fan of hers in 2004 to understand this. (In 2004 I admittedly was neither a critic or a fan nor did I see this video)

So at least for me, it ALWAYS COMES BACK TO did Britney have other contractual obligations besides Jive that demanded her stay in the spotlight that she was fed up with? (Probably signed off by Larry Rudolph)  Why didn't she leave her label if she had enough??? (NSYNC was also on Jive and probably was signed to release more albums, but were able to break-up and stop)

The problem with blaming Kevin Federline is this: It's one thing to marry Kevin Federline and have kids with him while completely staying in the spotlight,   It's another thing to marry Kevin Federline and have kids with him but move to Montana or Idaho where NOBODY would care about the relationship if she secluded herself there with the privacy she wanted and would easily be afforded.  Isn't that what SHE was hinting at with 'Everytime'?

It's reasonable to believe that Britney would have an itch to perform again or record again like most artists do, but a 'comeback' is not really what happened with either Blackout (no matter how great it is) or Circus because of her being constantly (forced?) in the spotlight.  Remember, she was just as 'famous' from 2005-2006 as she was from 1999-2004. 

If you want to make a comeback later, why not get out of the spotlight first?

In her February 2006 Access Hollywood interview, she says "she doesn't have a plan"  with music (2:56)

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2dyG/3k3L9Ekdp

Probably because she was still signed to Jive Records, thus remaining in the spotlight, perhaps even more important, not being able to release her own music on her own terms due to contractual commitments.  It signals that had she left her label back in 2004-2005 (as well as leave the spotlight) then she would truly be free to whatever she wanted.

Britney is supposed to be a 'survivor' with nine studio albums but the cost of problems associated conservatorship (including custody of kids) and her arguably decline of skills seem to offset the former.

I don't know how you can blame Kevin Federline when she could have married him and live in obscurity in Montana or Idaho with the privacy SHE wanted UNLESS she was CONTRACTUALLY bound to stay in the spotlight all these years.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She definitely was over it and wanted a huge *** break but her priorities changed, she thought she found THE ONE, wanted to get married, have kids right away and settle down. 

She remained in the spotlight even with Kevin with all the skits and interviews they did. She was definitely going to support her man all the way. She probably doesn’t like to overshadow people, so she wouldn’t even dare come out with something or release an album/era in the midst of Kevin’s debut. :new_york_breathless_uncannyxman:

He started going out leaving her behind with the kids, maybe was unfaithful idk but Kevin was not a good influence. The only good thing he did was give Britney the babies she wanted. 

I don’t really blame Kevin for her downfall. At the end of the day Britney chose to marry him. Britney chose to have 2 children with him. She was desperately lonely and was probably looking for an escape. 

Her team are to blame here for bombarding her and overworking her. You could see she was tired by 2003 even. There was a shift from Britney era Britney and ITZ era Britney.  She needed a break and for her team to actually listen to her.

Of course we can’t blame Kevin for everything, but it’s undeniable that he didn’t treat her right during the marriage and just took advantage of her and that broke her heart. She explained in FTR how devastated she was because of the whole thing. So his behavior is one of the reasons why she fell apart :pleaseshhh_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_tell_talk_preach_pollard:

The interview with Matt Lauer that was filmed in the summer of 2006 is pretty revealing.

She was excited about recording new music, saying it had to be "timeless" and that you had to work with "the best people."

But she said she had no plans to tour until her boo-boo's were old enough to enjoy it.

She seemed to be in the exact same place, mentally, that she is now...Wanting to release new music, but not wanting to tour.  She likes the creative process, but not the rest.

Something people always forget is how young she was !

She was 23, extremely rich, had all the attention of the entire world and was on the top of her business. 

Are we even suprised she married a random friend as they were drunk in Vegas for New year's eve ? Are we suprised she wanted to shock the world by being (almost) naked on the cover of every magazine, kissing Madonna on stage or even being shown dying in a bathtube in a video ?

Now that time has passed and that we got older I don't find this weird for a 23 years old girl in her situation to be a little rebellious and little scandalous. it's what young people do...so imagine with her power and money...

Though I do agree that it helped creating a way of thinking she seems to have in her mind.

11 hours ago, BritBreakitDown20 said:

:wink_britney_everytime_white: she was definitely looking for a loophole and everything happened on its own with the breaking knee injury and afterwards she found the excuse to actually take some time for herself and rest. 

She had every right of course but her team has always been pushy :walkin_fire_meltdown_burning_flames_panic_mess_exhell: 

10 hours ago, HIM said:

she thought she found THE ONE, wanted to get married, have kids right away and settle down. 

She remained in the spotlight even with Kevin with all the skits and interviews they did. She was definitely going to support her man all the way. She probably doesn’t like to overshadow people, so she wouldn’t even dare come out with something or release an album/era in the midst of Kevin’s debut. :new_york_breathless_uncannyxman:

He started going out leaving her behind with the kids, maybe was unfaithful idk but Kevin was not a good influence. The only good thing he did was give Britney the babies she wanted. 

4 hours ago, ElenaB said:

Of course we can’t blame Kevin for everything, but it’s undeniable that he didn’t treat her right during the marriage and just took advantage of her and that broke her heart. She explained in FTR how devastated she was because of the whole thing. So his behavior is one of the reasons why she fell apart :pleaseshhh_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_tell_talk_preach_pollard:

4 hours ago, Britneylandia said:

Her downfall isn’t all because Kevin Federline but he helped A LOT, with other man by her side the situation could have been way different.

But this is my point with Kevin Federline.  Had she moved WAY out of the spotlight to Montana or Idaho, would people care about that relationship?

4 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

The interview with Matt Lauer that was filmed in the summer of 2006 is pretty revealing.

She was excited about recording new music, saying it had to be "timeless" and that you had to work with "the best people."

But she said she had no plans to tour until her boo-boo's were old enough to enjoy it.

She seemed to be in the exact same place, mentally, that she is now...Wanting to release new music, but not wanting to tour.  She likes the creative process, but not the rest.

Well, I'm aware now that because of spotify/youtube, Britney gets a healthy percentage of accumulated music royalties (mostly sound recording royalties for the songs she didn't write)

Despite the money, she's paid a big price personally.  As I've said, if she started her own label back in 2004-2005 ( she could have released or OWN music WHENEVER she wanted to) and lived in relative obscurity out of the spotlight, it's hard to argue 2006-2008/conservatorship controversy would have ever happened.  Again, her own Everytime video clearly suggested she was tired of her fame and the music industry.  It's pretty obvious a lot of her staying in the spotlight was because of contractual obligations.  

AT THE VERY LEAST, she should have re-signed a contract with Jive that gave her far more creative control and artistic freedom.

3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

She still was happy in 2004 tho in my opinion 

Still, David Lachapelle said she wanted to die in 'Everytime' and he condemned Larry Rudolph and her family .

24 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

It's pretty obvious a lot of her staying in the spotlight was because of contractual obligations.  

Agreed.

I believe that was the entire purpose of the conservatorship at the time is was made temporary -- to get her back on an even keel so she could fulfill her contracts.

At some point (probably around this time: https://www.tmz.com/2011/09/27/britney-spears-dad-jamie-spears-larry-rudolph-manager-conservator-tour-manager-seven-figure-deal-femme-fatale-tour/) it became something far more than that.

1 hour ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Agreed.

I believe that was the entire purpose of the conservatorship at the time is was made temporary -- to get her back on an even keel so she could fulfill her contracts.

Ultimately, this is what 'DESTROYED' her, and supported by her own 'Everytime' video.  Not Justin Timberlake, not Kevin Federline, not the media,  not the public and not even Lufti or Ghalib (Her parents are still to blame for their nativity and absolutely using her as a cash cow)

Not a fan of the following forums or the threads in which they are criticizing Britney, but these comments have some truth in it:

"And...I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for her because she WANTS to be in the tabloids. She actively seeks it out. How do I know this? I know this because when she filed for divorce from K-Fed, she did so in Los Angeles Superior Court with a public judge. That is NOT how people who don't want their **** all over the magazines file for divorce in California. Ever wonder why you never heard the specifics of Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's divorce? They used a private judge and none of their filings were ever made public. This is not a difficult concept. And yet Britney finds it necessary to parade her **** in front of god and everybody. Why would she do that? Well, I'm betting it has something to do with the album she was recording this weekend. A little free press for her first release since 2003..."

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x5830042

And About the 2006 Dateline interview

"She obviously wants so badly to be able to live 'country' like she is still in smalltown Louisiana and yet isn't willing to give up what she has to go back to that life. I was disappointed Lauer didn't push it further when they started talking about the compromise celebs make with their public life in order to be famous and have a gazillion dollars. He pushes her to tears over the scrutiny she has gotten for being caught looking like a bad mom and then gets her to admit, she loves the money and big 'resort' house she lives in, etc. Maybe they figured the contradiction would be so obvious we would all just get it but for once Id like to see someone call these rich m-f'ers out out.

This is the deal you have made with the devil. The press will hound you until you selfdestruct or die like Princess Diana and that is why you are famous and have the power you do. Deal with it! If you don't like it, then fade into obscurity, go into rehab or go bankrupt and live a sad little normal life like the rest of us. She's not the first we will see like this or the last..."

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/468646-anyone-want-talk-about-britney-spears-interview-today-dateline-2.html

Of course she had to tour for Circus otherwise she was going to be sued into oblivion by Jive because she didn't tour for Blackout.

Britney could have left her label/industry back in 2004/2005 and retreat into seclusion in Idaho or Montana and get the privacy she wanted.  (Calling marrying Kevin Federline but remaining in the Los Angeles media spotlight a 'rebellion' is a joke.)

She could have re-signed  a contract with Jive in the mid-2000s to give her autonomy over her image or music.

I get that Britney might 'love to perform and record' but look at the consequences with the custody of her kids and still being in the spotlight.

She could have done those things with her own label or resigning a new contract with Jive.

Obviously she is very wealthy now, but I wish she wasn't in the spotlight (which her Everytime video suggested she was fed up with).

1 hour ago, Steel Magnolia said:

When did she sign the contract that she was under from 2004 to 2006?

Was that her original contract? Or a new one she had signed post-Oops era?

This is a key question;  Because And the end of the day, Jive Records/Larry Rudolph has as much to do with her downfall  by making her stay in the spotlight.

NOBODY signs a record deal for 8 albums; Britney Jean was the end of her previous record deal.

My guess is that her 'original' deal had to have ended somewhere after In The Zone but before 2006.   I mean, she said in that February 2006 Access Hollywood interview that she didn't have a 'plan' when it came to music.

During that period she should have either started her own label or re-sign a contract with Jive that gave her autonomy over her image and music.  She did neither. 

As I've said, I hopefully she can live/enjoy her life.  Bessemer Trust should be able to manage her assets properly.

11 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I mean, she did mention about wanting to perform again in 2006. I don't think she disliked touring as long as it wasn't in excess back then, but I wouldn't be surprised if she hates the idea of touring in general now.

11 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I think this interview as well as For The Record are archival pieces in the Britney narrative at this point. 

6 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Agreed.

At some point (probably around this time: https://www.tmz.com/2011/09/27/britney-spears-dad-jamie-spears-larry-rudolph-manager-conservator-tour-manager-seven-figure-deal-femme-fatale-tour/) it became something far more than that.

Yep; from the start it was to control her but I think you're right about when it became the insidious thing it is now and it was the FF era. This is also when we got robot-ney and didn't she disappear for a bit around this time (for reprogramming no doubt lol). 

As for the topic, is anyone blaming KFed for her entire breakdown or the state of affairs as they are today? In my eyes, KFed is a very small inconsequential player in all of this, then and now. I think he has never been a particularly great father to her kids insofar that he does not seem to give a **** about Britney and that he didn't help anything during the 2006-2009 or now. Overall, I just think he's a deadbeat and slimeball. 

5 hours ago, zxcvb said:

Britney could have left her label/industry back in 2004/2005 and retreat into seclusion in Idaho or Montana and get the privacy she wanted.

I highly doubt this. In any case, I think your conclusion that her label / father / management are to blame ultimately for this mess is true. Staying in the LA media spotlight may not have been a rebellion, but I think Kevin definitely was, and when that didn't work well ... we saw how 2008 went. 

• Super Mods

record companies put their artists in debt, no label has thousands of dollars lying around to fund projects. When they "pay" they are actually loaning the money to make the albums happen and so an artist assume the label is providing everything for them but in reality they are billing the artists so all the promo, studio time, producers, songwriters, music videos are basically paid by the artists by the label recuperating their costs and after they take their cut, whats leftover is what the artists gets hence why many singers go broke or one hit wonders losing it all because they might think the label is throwing them a party only to find out they are footing the bill just like Lance said in his documentary. I remember Britney saying that the DWAD tour was a huge spectacle but she found all her money was going to all the fancy special effects so she worked hard only to see her earnings being taken away due to expenses. Everyone knows artists tour to make up for the little money they get from record sales so I'm sure Larry was pushing her to get back on tour again and finish the onyx hotel. 

Honestly I think Jive is more fair than Larry, consistently he's always been a creative blocker to her and always wants to control everything. The fact they allowed her to do In The Zone and acknowledged she was getting older is better than Larry always trying to play it safe and assume she's always going to be teen sensation Britney Spears as apparent with Circus. 

I don’t think Britney hates her “job”. I think she loves being able to be creative and create something totally unique and something that is distinctly “her”. I think she hates being controlled and filtered, which has unfortunately been the case for her entire career. I mean look at her interviews leading up to Glory, she was really excited for the album. And then when it happened she seemed....off. I couldn’t tell what it was back then, but I knew there was something off. She seemed proud of the music, but something else was clearly bothering her. In retrospect it’s probably the fact that she got so censored with the visuals she wanted to create for the album. It wasn’t her full vision. Nothing she’s come out has ever been her full vision, just a glimpse. 

Archived