Was Gaga's Peak (2008-2011) Bigger Than Britney's Peak (1998-2004)

On 11/24/2020 at 9:07 AM, Needleney said:

Holy cow, is this person serious? The thing she/he says are so weak.

'Britney Speats is more basic compared to Gaga

- Britney isnt/wasnt 'basic' compared to Lady Gaga. Britney didnt need to wear weird costumes or create weird acts to stay relevant. Britney was super controversial and **** for her time, she had a strong image. Britney was 'famous' for being controversial -for her time-, Lady Gaga was famous because of her fashion costume looks. Both Britney and Gaga werent 'basic'.

'Lady Gaga is the most searched person in the world

- Umm yes? So is Britney. Britney has been one of the the most searched celebrity during her whole career: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/most-searched-celebrities-past-12-years-britney-spears_n_2244614?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLm5sLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAExEb7VUXHKqRsW7LA7OWonrz7ABSTBeoau6xP5Z-lolRfNMjjIrXOvqWtLZaz842IIJ8vnE1cFku-u0m17_glnTT76BEucJXmB4-H9aVlSvGf8JrXT4BvsnOqM_wfnITm09BeXl3g_bvcSocDJRLyjwM0y4mYEOyOrVFYgMUCDZ

'Lady Gaga had multiple mega iconic hit, everyone was talking about her.'

Ummm..Where have you been the last 22 years? Britney had multiple mega iconic hits as well, everyone was talking about Britney during her prime. Also, Britney outsold Lady Gaga big time.

Edit: Also, Britney has one of the biggest celebrity famous scandels (head shaving, and even more). I know, its not positive, but it made huge impact on pop culture. Lady Gaga has like, none?.... Also, Britney was  the most photographed woman on this planet in 2009.  Lady Gaga? Never archieved such thing. Also, Britney has one of the most iconic, controversial and most talked about Rolling Stone magazine cover.  (the teletubbi one when she only was 17 years old). Also, Britney has several VMA performances that shaped pop colture (Oops, the snake, Madonna kiss, Gimme more mess). Gaga only has...like, one or two?

Next time come with good facts:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

I mean if it wasn't for Britney, Gaga would've never really been "Gaga". Britney essentially paved the way for her in the same essence that Madonna paved the way for Britney. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

No one was bigger than Madonna, during her prime, not Britney, not GAGA-nor do I think we’ll ever see a female artist be that famous or have a career that has last decades. Her ability to completely reinvent herself has kept her popularity all these years.madonna smiling GIF

But she's lost her touch (Face and taste and personality)...

She's so up above that there are enough people who will kiss her *** even if she's doing just stupid stuff just because she's Madonna. I bet that will break her career or what's left of it, that attitude that once was about society and fighting against war. Now only shallowness.

I think it just appears that Gaga had more fame as she was everywhere and on social media and she played the game with the paps, that Britney didn't want to play since 2002.

Her management burned her even more than britney I think, fearing she'll be that one hit, one album, two album pop girl that won't have a run for years or decades.

But Gaga handled the fame better than Britney I would say, which of course happens to have to do with age as much as with her craving for it in the beginning until everyone turned their back on her between artpop era.

And Gaga have the media something to talk about wholeheartedly. I mean her having a *****, her dressing as joe Calderon, her dropping from the ceiling covered in blood, her vomiting on stage.... She wasn't afraid of the news and media, she was in control most of the time of the narrative. I gotta hand that to her, no matter what they threw her way.

3 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

Recently she has lost her touch, her reign is probably over but you can’t dispute she’s the Queen of Pop and she’s the only musician who has had at least 50 number one hits on any Billboard charts and number one hits in five decades. That’s a long reign that neither Britney, X-Tina nor GAGA will touch because that can’t hold on to popularity for that long. There’s a spike in Britney popularity not because of music but because of the c-ship, and both her x-Tina hasn’t put out good music in a while and GAGA I don’t follow her but she doesn’t holds a candle the Queen. 

I think your facts are incomplete, Billboard first of all is only USA as I am sure you must know second of all due to clear channel contract Britney had little to no radio play starting from 2001 lasted till her Blackout era hence the single charting has been poor. On UWC charts Britney is behind madonna for placing the most no 1s as a solo act and overall she's 3rd behind Rihanna this is also considering the fact that Britney has less then 50 singles released WW while both the other women have more than 100. Britney's some singles has also been exclusive like Born to make you happy - Anticipating etc! 

Billboard is not a correct picture to describe someone's career. 

Gaga was a successful singer. 

Britney was a music phenomenon. Music phenomenons go beyond of whats measureable, it a musical fever that gets people's attention, from young children to adults. It goes beyond music industry.

The Beatles, MJ, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Madonna, and Im not saying Britney is equally talented as these people but Im just giving examples of how immense these legends were despite selling more or selling less than their peers. It's not just numbers or charts. It really goes beyond that. Gaga was big ofc but Britney's peak was immense. 

They couldnt call Britney the queen of pop because there was Madonna, so the next title was a princess. Im a stan of the 2 girls and I would never get into an argument about who was bigger bc I know how BIG madonna was.

I have seen many fans complaining that Britney was more inspired by Janet than by Madonna but I feel like the constant comparisons came from overall aspects. Both smashed the music industry, both became global icons and both used controversy in their favor. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

I think a lot of it is most of us weren’t born/old enough to witness the Madonna mania, Britney had mania too when she burst on the scene but the thing with Madonna is she was able to completely reinvent her theme over and over and over. Christina does this probably better than most but her music is getting boring-she had the reinventing thing going for a while though...Britney’s eras don’t have much  variety she still a blonde doing pop music except for Blackout. Plus neither had or I think will have a Ray of Light in their lifetime..also Brit and Christina both have quite a few bad albums during their 30s Madonna was still producing major hits at that stage in her life. This says 50 number ones on any given billboard record this was in 2020...a radio ban for one era isn’t a huge factor when your talking over decades...and it wasn’t a complete ban. Britney’s was 1998-2007/08 time will tell if she can get it back but her music she made from 08-now is imo pretty forgettable. Same with Christina and I love both but I’m also not delusional. Had mod do a not had Ray of Light the conversation may be a different one but that cemented her as a icon here for the long haul.

https://www.madonna.com/news/title/madonna-achieves-50th-no-1-on-dance-club-songs-chart

Huh? Where did I mention Madonna's smashing? I just mentioned how Britney didn't charted better despite dominating her heydays you completely changed the comment. 

I was 8 years old when Britney came along, I remember her music was everywhere, but I was too young to realize the impact she was having. When Gaga appeared I was 18/19 years old and with her yes, I remember her impact not only on music but also on fashion and videography. Both are pop artists and in one way or another changed the direction of music when they appeared, however I don't think the two should be compared because they appeared at different times and ages.

Call Britney basic? This girl, with 16/17 years old and wearing sneakers, attracted crowds just to see her perform on stage, while Gaga had to go through a whole marketing strategy to gain visibility by wearing flashy clothes to attract attention and only then did they start looking at her music, she herself once said after 4/5 years of career that she was tired of wearing clothes just to get attention when what she wanted was for people to just look at her music. Gaga has only one thing better than Britney and that is her voice, and that makes her more credible in what she does.

Britney appeared at a time when the cultivation of the external image was at its peak and it counted a lot to have the typical image of a beautiful and innocent girl in music, after 10 years Gaga appears and changes all that stereotype by saying that "I can't be beautiful" but I will avenge and stay in the history of music for my talent and that opened many doors later for other artists.

• Love 3

The hate from the Britney fandom towards Gaga is due to the Britney Fans wanting Britney to continue to be successful way past her prime.

They felt their idol was being replaced. While in 2008 - 2012 Britney enjoyed commercial success, it was by no means anywhere near 1998 - 2005. Let alone, other (and younger) female pop artists emerged such as Gaga, who was everything Britney fans wanted Britney to be; explosive success, artistic direction, fresh sound, and look and feel. it wasn’t as big as Britney’s debut of course but it would have been amazing if B continued to to be on top.

to end it on a positive note, some fans saw it as Britney handing over the torch to the next pop generation; Gaga, Katy and Kesha.

• Like 1

Ok let me explain how big britney was by giving an example.

I was born in early 90s in Turkey. Internet was not popular, not everyone had it. TV stations did not have much international music channels and there were like 2-3 radio channels that were playing songs from other countries. 

So basically, not much connection to other countries.

BUT when i was like 8-9 years old, EVERYBODY knew her and was talking about her all the time. The ONLY three names/artists I knew were Madonna, MJ and Britney. People were talking about Britney too much that at one point I was thinking she was a very old lady (i thought britney was "madonna"). Because i did not see her picture or music video anywhere. But her name was everywhere. 
She was on "legend" status for me at that point like everyone else.  I saw her on Sabrina for the first time and I was shocked when I saw how young she was. Because she was always talked as a legend and everybody knew her.

So basically, almost no internet, not much international tv or radio stations in 90s but she was known by almost everyone in different countries worldwide. There was no tiktok, youtube, insta or any other social media like today.

Anyway, gaga became popular during internet age. It is not that hard to become famous with everyone accessing every information from any country. She got 70%'s of her popularity due to her outfits not because of her talent. People were talking about her outifts more than her songs.
Also, the reason she's compared to madonna was that she was copying her at some point.  LOL. 

• Love 6

Gaga never sold near as many records as Britney. She's not even in the top 10 of highest selling female artists.

During Gaga's peak, she was outsold by Taylor Swift and Adele. Adele would go on to completely outsell Taylor too. 

Gaga came off as a tribute act, more than an original star. Grace Jones called her a tribute act and accurately summed it up. Everything was mimicking sounds of the old and she lacked that original touch that the people had who she was influenced by. It also didn't help that she has to overcomplicate everything and act like what she is doing is super hard and complex. As a music star, she was always overrated and having star power producers and other performers (Beyonce for one) help her, didn't exactly translate to good results. 

Art Pop was a major flop and her musical career went south after that. A Star Is Born resurrected her career and she's now a respectable actress, though I even think she's overrated with that too. She's been in two movies with solid stars (Bradley Cooper in Star, and the whole A list cast of Gucci). Let's wait and see if she can lead a movie herself. 

• Like 6