Dua Lipa, "That Viral Video Of Me Dancing Messed With My Mental Health"

I'm too lazy to write anything myself, so I'll just paste the article. :eyes_britney_laugh:

https://attitude.co.uk/article/dua-lipa-trolling-over-viral-dance-video-messed-with-my-mental-health/23993/

Dua Lipa has had to develop a thicker skin than most as she sheds light on the anxiety she experienced after being targeted by trolls.

“I experienced a s*** tonne at the end of my first record, and it was definitely something that gave me anxiety and made me upset and made me feel like I wasn’t good enough and made me feel like, maybe I’m not meant to be here and on the stage,” she recalls.

“Even after the Grammys, some people were like, ‘Well, she doesn’t deserve it.’”

Dua – who won best new artist and best dance recording at the Grammys last year – is all too aware of the video of her dancing that went viral, doing the rounds as a mocking meme.

“There were so many things, especially when you start out, like a video of me dancing and they’re like, ‘Ah well, she has no stage presence’ – but they’d never been to one of my shows, they’d never seen me perform.

"They would take one small snippet and run with it and it would become a whole thing,” she explains.

“For a short period of time, it messed with my mental health. You know, I’d go on stage and if somebody was filming me, in my head, I wasn’t, like, ‘Oh, they’re filming me because they want to keep it.’ I was like, ‘They’re going to film it so they can laugh at me or something.”

“There should be a communal understanding that people make mistakes, and we should learn from each other’s mistakes and we should try to teach each other," she urges. "I think there is so much judgement and meanness… cancel culture is so dangerous and toxic."

This entire video is a mess, but the snippet @0:20 is the one that shook the internet. :straddle_britney_pink_yoga_meditation_bounce_legs_spread_gym: If anything, I think this whole situation was good for her - it made her comeback even stronger. EVERYONE praised her dancing when she first started promoting "Don't Start Now". :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

6D5574B9-A005-43A2-BB4E-783D9DEE880C.jpeg

Edited by Urbanney
🏅 Featured! -Urbanney
  • Love 5

Memes of celebrities have always been a thing, the first being on Britney, however that viral dance of her ended up becoming more than a meme. Dua received not constructive criticism but blatant disrespect and criticism. People thought she would end up a one-hit wonder, that she had no passion to stay in the industry, and she is some of the worst artist ever. I used to be one of those people, except i was more respectful and less-"twitter idiot" but i did think she would fade away after her debut. So it is sad to see her tell everyone she was mentally affected from it. Regardless, here we are in 2020, she served us the album of the year :liberatedaf_beyonce_yellow_lemonade_happy_free_carefree_smile_wind_hold_up:

• Love 2
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods

I did laugh about that vid obviously because its funny, but I'd be damned before I would actually humiliate a person over something so ridiculous to the point where she has mental consequences over it, nobody deserves sucha thing. I always liked her music and talent, even before Future Nostalgia. I am having a huge fight on reddit with people who blame her though. There's swarms of them attacking me because I said a pop star is not a role model and its not her duty to educate and bring up someone elses children and and teenagers :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Love 2

It’s sad it affected her. I don’t blame her. However, one of the things that made me rapidly gain respect for her is seeing how she took all of that criticism and worked on it and made it a strength, rather than ignoring it or complaining about it. She really took the criticism as advice which I can’t commend her enough for.

• Love 2

Sad it affected her but being a performer is putting yourself out there to have that judged. So yes it should be taken as constructive criticism and as said she has improved so much. But even Britney at her peak would be judged & critiqued. It’s part of the game. 

My thing is stop making artists dance if they can’t dance. 

• Like 4

A meme affected her mental health? Literally every pop girl has been made fun of through memes; some of them like Xtina, Gaga, and Demi have had that happen dozens of times. Someone pointing out that she's a **** dancer might sound mean, but I feel like she should have thicker skin considering that she's been in the music business for a while now, and should learn not to take stan culture too seriously. 

• Love 3

I think we shouldn't judge her for having a meltdown in the past for harsh memes or internet trolling, when we're fan of an artist that's been slaughtered by the media. I know, Britney went through heavy stuff, but there's not a scale of heaviness. Even celebrities and popstars have feelings that might get hurt, and the fact that the people on the internet spread negative stuff doesn't mean they chose this. They chose to make music and inspire people, not to be constantly judged by the public.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I'm too lazy to write anything myself, so I'll just paste the article. :eyes_britney_laugh:

https://attitude.co.uk/article/dua-lipa-trolling-over-viral-dance-video-messed-with-my-mental-health/23993/

This entire video is a mess, but the snippet @0:20 is the one that shook the internet. :straddle_britney_pink_yoga_meditation_bounce_legs_spread_gym: If anything, I think this whole situation was good for her - it made her comeback even stronger. EVERYONE praised her dancing when she first started promoting "Don't Start Now". :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

6D5574B9-A005-43A2-BB4E-783D9DEE880C.jpeg

It’s just a joke! It’s OK, but you can work on it and shut mouths...

Why can’t she be a good sport and laugh about it?

being under public scrutiny is part of a popstar’s job description. This is to be expected. If it was Gwen or Madonna, they’ll just make fun of themselves which in turn will show even more self confidence. Dua should should follow her recent collaborators way of doing things. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block