Dua Lipa’s “Levitating”: Music video, achievements, lawsuit and more

RadicalOptimism

38 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Taylor seems to get away with taking from other artists but reference the smallest “Taylor-ism” in another artists song, and she’s coming after you faster than Lou M. Taylor and a cease and desist :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

@maki93 please answer to this accusation, 'inspiration' needs to be credited so you being a huge Taylor fans I would like to know your beautiful thoughts on them :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

48 minutes ago, stanLOONA said:

I watch a Youtuber that reacts to this kind of things, and he says a lot of times that sometimes songs will sound familiar but that doesn't mean they are being sampled or plagiarizing

I’m sorry to say this to u……… but  It legit is a copy this time around fr 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Taylor seems to get away with taking from other artists but reference the smallest “Taylor-ism” in another artists song, and she’s coming after you faster than Lou M. Taylor and a cease and desist :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

Yup

• Haha 1

Imagine Dua going to the studio all excited and working hard on a cool new song and then years later somebody says "oh but it sounds like this ****ty song we made years ago in our basement!" what........ Sometimes it's obvious that there were connections between two or more artists, or that they worked together at some point and that's where the inspiration came from, or how one of them stole a sound or whatever, but this is clearly not the same... Nobody is inventing the wheel here, chill.

37 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

Imagine Dua going to the studio all excited and working hard on a cool new song and then years later somebody says "oh but it sounds like this ****ty song we made years ago in our basement!" what........ Sometimes it's obvious that there were connections between two or more artists, or that they worked together at some point and that's where the inspiration came from, or how one of them stole a sound or whatever, but this is clearly not the same... Nobody is inventing the wheel here, chill.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

3 hours ago, LostAvenger said:

@maki93 please answer to this accusation, 'inspiration' needs to be credited so you being a huge Taylor fans I would like to know your beautiful thoughts on them :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

What exactly has she stolen??? Without Me and Wildest Dreams ok. So here is the thing, both songs share one of the most common chord progressions used in pop music during the chorus only. The melodies are somewhat similiar but there's only so many different pop melodies u can write to those chords. When it comes to these type of accusations usually the song has to have either exactly or almost the same melody or/and share the same rhytm. Wildest Dreams doesn't have enough in common with Without You to be called plagiarizism. If you are wondering "how taylor got away with this" the answer is very simple. Lana or her people didn't think Taylor was ripping them off or felt like they got a strong enough case. They are the only people who could sue her and they didn't feel like she plagiarized enough to do that. And yeah they have most certainly heard Wildest Dreams. If you're talking about her shake it off case, that is about some random artist trying to sue her over using the phrase "players gonna play" and "haters gonna hate" which both are somewhat common phrases. It is not unheard of that during these last 40 years someone has used them in a song lyric aswell before Taylor. No crime here. Also I can't recall Taylor suing artists over copying her? Olivia Rodrigo credited her on Deja Vu but like tbh that seemed like Olivias own decidion not Taylors legal action. As for Dua Lipa case, the problem here is that this reggae songs shares both the melody and the rhytm of levitating. That makes a strong case on plagiarizing and they could very well win this case if Lipa's lawyers don't work magic. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Popcornie said:

What exactly has she stolen??? Without Me and Wildest Dreams ok. So here is the thing, both songs share one of the most common chord progressions used in pop music during the chorus only. The melodies are somewhat similiar but there's only so many different pop melodies u can write to those chords. When it comes to these type of accusations usually the song has to have either exactly or almost the same melody or/and share the same rhytm. Wildest Dreams doesn't have enough in common with Without You to be called plagiarizism. If you are wondering "how taylor got away with this" the answer is very simple. Lana or her people didn't think Taylor was ripping them off or felt like they got a strong enough case. They are the only people who could sue her and they didn't feel like she plagiarized enough to do that. And yeah they have most certainly heard Wildest Dreams. If you're talking about her shake it off case, that is about some random artist trying to sue her over using the phrase "players gonna play" and "haters gonna hate" which both are somewhat common phrases. It is not unheard of that during these last 40 years someone has used them in a song lyric aswell before Taylor. No crime here. Also I can't recall Taylor suing artists over copying her? Olivia Rodrigo credited her on Deja Vu but like tbh that seemed like Olivias own decidion not Taylors legal action. As for Dua Lipa case, the problem here is that this reggae songs shares both the melody and the rhytm of levitating. That makes a strong case on plagiarizing and they could very well win this case if Lipa's lawyers don't work magic. 

Wildest dreams chorus sounds exactly like without you, the denying of fans is surreal that's why I don't get into all this. Lana and Taylor can be friends, that is not the case nor how much the song is copied or not the case is to credit lana's song for it. General public who is listening to pop music is not seeing outside music a lot anyway so what people don't know shouldn't be even mentioned. Who's talking about Lana suing? I am saying Taylor credit is where? 

And what others do doesn't justify what you do, if Olivia copies then she should credit too and that's the same for everyone. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LostAvenger said:

Wildest dreams chorus sounds exactly like without you, the denying of fans is surreal that's why I don't get into all this. Lana and Taylor can be friends, that is not the case nor how much the song is copied or not the case is to credit lana's song for it. General public who is listening to pop music is not seeing outside music a lot anyway so what people don't know shouldn't be even mentioned. Who's talking about Lana suing? I am saying Taylor credit is where? 

And what others do doesn't justify what you do, if Olivia copies then she should credit too and that's the same for everyone. 

They sound similiar but no they are NOT the same. If you play the melodies on piano u'll see that the phrases "Hello" and "Say You'll Remember" are same. The rest of the choruses don't overlap. That's not enough for me to say it is plagiarism. These types of similiriaties are very common today there are so so many songs. I have studied music theory for 5 years so I do know what I am talking about. Artists very rarely credit their inspirations in their songs. The songwriters and producers of the original song are only mentioned if it is sampled or by court decided that its copied. You don't see Lady Gaga saying on every booklet how Madonna inspired her. We don't see Britney talking about how Janet Jackson influenced her music and stage performances. Taylor could be influenced by Lana but she isn't required to state that in her songwriting credits, because Lana wasn't a songwriter for Wildest Dreams, she just has a song that has a similiar part to it or a song that may have inspired Taylor because we don't know if they're similiar because Taylor was inspired or because one of her co-writers was inspired or by pure accident. This all coming from a big Lana and Taylor fan. Taylor did praise Lana in her artist of the decade speech and even stated her as one influence so its not impossible but again she isn't legally required to credit her. 

There are many songs which sound like Taylors songs aswell. One example is the new Eurovision track "Guilty Pleasure" by Mia. Pop has been very limited on what chords and types of melodies you can use so these types of cases are inevitable. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Popcornie said:

They sound similiar but no they are NOT the same. If you play the melodies on piano u'll see that the phrases "Hello" and "Say You'll Remember" are same. The rest of the choruses don't overlap. That's not enough for me to say it is plagiarism. These types of similiriaties are very common today there are so so many songs. I have studied music theory for 5 years so I do know what I am talking about. Artists very rarely credit their inspirations in their songs. The songwriters and producers of the original song are only mentioned if it is sampled or by court decided that its copied. You don't see Lady Gaga saying on every booklet how Madonna inspired her. We don't see Britney talking about how Janet Jackson influenced her music and stage performances. Taylor could be influenced by Lana but she isn't required to state that in her songwriting credits, because Lana wasn't a songwriter for Wildest Dreams, she just has a song that has a similiar part to it or a song that may have inspired Taylor because we don't know if they're similiar because Taylor was inspired or because one of her co-writers was inspired or by pure accident. This all coming from a big Lana and Taylor fan. Taylor did praise Lana in her artist of the decade speech and even stated her as one influence so its not impossible but again she isn't legally required to credit her. 

There are many songs which sound like Taylors songs aswell. One example is the new Eurovision track "Guilty Pleasure" by Mia. Pop has been very limited on what chords and types of melodies you can use so these types of cases are inevitable. 

I know music theory as well, I don't deny your claims nor I said it's copied but they indeed are similar. Looking at Taylor vocal range and her catalog she barely has songs which pushes any boundaries musically. Artists don't give credit I understand that, but both choruses are indeed similar and Pop was never limited look at MJ's catalog only singles are needed to know what I am talking about or ABBA or Donna Summer pop is now lazy never was before. 

Funny how they’re suing Dua for “stealing” their song but they’re over here sampling sounds from Daft Punk. Yah okay…

literally the same chords and they used the weird vocal modulations towards the beginning too.

Girl bye…

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block