Dua Lipa’s “Levitating”: Music video, achievements, lawsuit and more

RadicalOptimism

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

somewhat similar? :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: it sounds practically the same, the original just being slower than Dua's

For less than this, Exhalers kept saying Britney's Now That I Found You was a Wake Me Up ripoff, which were NOTHING alike, not even the same melody or rhythm or anything. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

That said, they would have to see if Dua actually did the sampling properly. For example, when Jerry Rivera accused Shakira of stealing his song for the intro of Hips Don't Lie, he was unaware that the record label had actually obtained the rights to the song legally.

I ignore this group or whether they belong to a record label or not, but this is far from being a coincidence. It could also be that they are sampling maybe an even older song, and they're thieves too. The melody actually seems to be very common or generic, since some parts of Levitating also sound like the exact melody of the verses of an 80's song by Spanish singer Miguel Bosé, but I doubt Dua or her producers would know this song, though everything is possible. Curiously, the song I talk about is called Don Diablo, and conveniently she ended up releasing a Don Diablo Remix that has nothing to do with that, and now that's what comes up when you Google "Levitating Don Diablo" :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay::blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

On a similar note: I have heard it is legal to steal other people’s lyrics for your own product as long as you don’t steal over 30 percent of the lyrics of the song. You heard that too or is it just me? 

Melodies are absolutely similar, and people need to stop pretending these kinda songs are unknown not everyone is listening to mainstream music. Did Dua copy it? Who knows but someone did take full inspiration from this song and there's no denying and it's robbery at absolute worst. If you want to sample you need to pay them, these people aren't famous like your pop stars they also want to make money off from their music. This plagiarism isn't a reach at all, it absolutely makes sense. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, maki93 said:

I do not understand why they don't just credit people that they are "inspired" from :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

I agree but I also wonder how much of the main artist even knows. There are 4 other people credited for writing and production. It just takes one to be “inspired” to come up with the stolen instrumental and a small melody. Then the singer comes in, and thinks that what she’s hearing is original and just adds on to what’s been started. 

if it wasn’t Dua that originated the track we now know, they should find out who originated the track and take most of their money that person earned from the song (and still a lil from Dua cuz unfortunately, she still profited from a stolen track).

• Love 1
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, LostAvenger said:

Swapped the names, my bad! Inspiration credit? Crickets.

Taylor seems to get away with taking from other artists but reference the smallest “Taylor-ism” in another artists song, and she’s coming after you faster than Lou M. Taylor and a cease and desist :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

• Haha 6
8 minutes ago, stanLOONA said:

I watch a Youtuber that reacts to this kind of things, and he says a lot of times that sometimes songs will sound familiar but that doesn't mean they are being sampled or plagiarizing

probably doesn't want to be ganged upon by the thiefhive 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block