The VEGAN thread

On 11/29/2020 at 1:17 AM, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

From the research I looked at comparing brains of those who are vegan vs. vegetarian vs. vegetarian/meat eaters .... a balanced diet of vegetables and organic meats lead to heartier brain development overtime. So we essentially need Vitamin B in meat to keep us sane essentially unfortunately. Although I commend people who don't because they don't want to harm animals. So I respect that. I honestly tried and this is the best diet for me.  

That's why vegans must supplement B12. All other nutrients can be acquired through a balanced and well-planned diet, though. Those who don't supplement B12 for whatever reason are dumb (or haven't done enough research) and are setting themselves up for failure. I think a lot of vegans fail because they restrict themselves too much - you will see people going vegan AND adopting some other unnecessary crap on top of that, such as high-fat/low-carb or high-carb/low-fat, or gluten free, or fully raw, etc. Salads, rice, potatoes, and fruit aren't enough. You need protein, which is why soy, beans, lentils, peas, buckwheat, nuts, and seeds exist. Fortunately, the research you looked at is wrong. It is literal scientific consensus (when it comes to reputable research at least) that a balanced vegan diet is just as healthy as a regular one (yes, even for kids). Problems arise when people treat veganism as some sort of magical cure or turn it into a pseudoscientific fad diet. It's not much healthier than a regular diet (if at all, though, there might be a reduced risk of colon cancer and some other stuff), but it can be just as healthy if done right. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

Obviously, if you have problems with nuts, beans, soy, and fructose, veganism isn't for you. I'm just talking about why new vegans often fail in general. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

• Love 1
On 8/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Danielle1987 said:

Let me say, I logically and morally agree with veganism. I believe being vegan truly is the right way to go for your health and spirit. I’ve been vegan off and on. I’ve been vegetarian off and on. Are you familiar with Dr. Sebi’s alkaline electric diet (which is also vegan)? I’ve been that, too.

I was most recently on Dr. Sebi’s diet & I started feeling extremely weak. It was exhausting moving my muscles, I felt like I was gonna fall out. So, I knew the way I was getting protein wasn’t “enough” for me. I bought chicken breast and ate grilled chicken. I immediately felt better and got my strength back. 

I’ve been eating meat and dairy ever since. Cheese is the biggest weakness. But I do not eat a lot of meat - I’ve invested in protein shakes. Since I’ve found a good protein shake, I’ve been considering trying that alkaline electric diet again. But...cheese!!!

I just looked into it, and it's way too restrictive - there's your problem. It literally reads like "How To Become Malnourished For Beginners: ABC Guide". This is why new vegans often fail - they restrict themselves too much. Don't conflate veganism with a pseudoscientific fad diet. If you ate a normal, balanced vegan diet without any stupid restrictions, took B12 supplements, and followed your protein and caloric intake, you'd most likely be completely fine. Beans, lentils, peas, soy products, nuts, seeds (hemp, flax, chia, etc.), high-protein grains (whole weat, barley, buckwheat, etc.), nutritional yeast are your friends. Not trying to shame you, of course. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you, but you don't sound very convincing with the whole Dr. Sebi diet.

• Love 1

Not vegan. I tried a few years back and lasted about a week. It took too much focus and training for me at the time, I’d be interested in starting again but IDK where to start. I think it would be wise to try because lately I’ve been feeling not so great with the food I consume.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

Not vegan. I tried a few years back and lasted about a week. It took too much focus and training for me at the time, I’d be interested in starting again but IDK where to start. I think it would be wise to try because lately I’ve been feeling not so great with the food I consume.

I would recommend doing a trial period like 2/3 weeks and see how you go and if it feels right. Maybe start with vegetarian meals and slowly build up to vegan meals (I was vegetarian for a year first and then went vegan)

Theres lots of amazing you tubers who can help get you started. I posted one from Rainbow Plant Life on page 3.

Hope it helps 💚

• Love 1

I will admit, I am not a vegan, but there is a place that I go to in Vancouver to eat vegan comfort food. Honestly really good.

I did do keto for about a year, lost a bunch of weight blah blah, but now i'm back eating whatever I want... in moderation..... I had mcdonalds at 3am last night. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

That's why vegans must supplement B12. All other nutrients can be acquired through a balanced and well-planned diet, though. Those who don't supplement B12 for whatever reason are dumb (or haven't done enough research) and are setting themselves up for failure. I think a lot of vegans fail because they restrict themselves too much - you will see people going vegan AND adopting some other unnecessary crap on top of that, such as high-fat/low-carb or high-carb/low-fat, or gluten free, or fully raw, etc. Salads, rice, potatoes, and fruit aren't enough. You need protein, which is why soy, beans, lentils, peas, buckwheat, nuts, and seeds exist. Fortunately, the research you looked at is wrong. It is literal scientific consensus (when it comes to reputable research at least) that a balanced vegan diet is just as healthy as a regular one (yes, even for kids). Problems arise when people treat veganism as some sort of magical cure or turn it into a pseudoscientific fad diet. It's not much healthier than a regular diet (if at all, though, there might be a reduced risk of colon cancer and some other stuff), but it can be just as healthy if done right. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

Obviously, if you have problems with nuts, beans, soy, and fructose, veganism isn't for you. I'm just talking about why new vegans often fail in general. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

Well, the research wasn’t in regards to whether one was healthier the way you are interpreting it. In terms of sustaining strictly brain health, the one that’s balanced was better. You can supplement with vitamin B, however, it’s just not the same as the real thing and there are issues with supplementation. Since it is a great importance on brain health, those on a vegan diet are more prone or susceptible to degenerative or cognitive decline in comparison. Sure they have working body, but you have dementia etc...

People actually do live longer on a high carb and low to moderate protein diet. 

Some also argue plants and vegetables are all living things too in which we kill. All living things have energy. So... to discriminate one from the other shouldn’t justify or absolve one of whatever guilty feelings. Some argue the slaughtering process should be more respectful then. 

Who knows. At the end of the day, I try to respect the sacrifice made. With processed foods and junk contributing to a host of issues, such as gene activation or gene aging that contributes to the activation of  underlying psychological issues ... I’d like to reduce the ratio of sociopaths low in this world imo. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I definitely recommend you guys that if you are looking for delicious but healthy food that is vegetarian or vegan, Indian food is your friend. Since 30% of Indians are vegetarians, around half of our dishes are vegetarian and taste AMAZING. However, I do suggest being careful tho because they r vegetarians not VEGANS, so it’s frequent to include milk or cheese in their curries and stuff so do know your stuff. Some dishes I recommend to try are:

• North/South Vegetarian Thalis
  • Puri bhaji (fried bread with potato bhaji)
  • Pulao 
  • Samosa (Potato and pea mash wrapped in fried dough) (it’s some of the best stuff your tongue will ever taste :wink_britney_everytime_white:)
  • Tomato rice
  • Cauliflower manchurian
  • Cauliflower bhaji

There is dozens more I can list, but this is what has crossed my head so far. You can check many Indian recipes that are vegan or vegetarian friendly. Hope this helps :) 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I definitely recommend you guys that if you are looking for delicious but healthy food that is vegetarian or vegan, Indian food is your friend. Since 30% of Indians are vegetarians, around half of our dishes are vegetarian and taste AMAZING. However, I do suggest being careful tho because they r vegetarians not VEGANS, so it’s frequent to include milk or cheese in their curries and stuff so do know your stuff. Some dishes I recommend to try are:

• North/South Vegetarian Thalis
  • Puri bhaji (fried bread with potato bhaji)
  • Pulao 
  • Samosa (Potato and pea mash wrapped in fried dough) (it’s some of the best stuff your tongue will ever taste :wink_britney_everytime_white:)
  • Tomato rice
  • Cauliflower manchurian
  • Cauliflower bhaji

There is dozens more I can list, but this is what has crossed my head so far. You can check many Indian recipes that are vegan or vegetarian friendly. Hope this helps :) 

Dahl is honestly so delicious and probably one of my favourite Indian dishes 

❤️

• Love 1
  • 10 months later...

I’m transitioning to becoming vegan. The reason I say I’m transitioning is that I still have some leftover non-vegan food items that I won’t waste by just throwing away. Plus, with the holidays coming up, I’m going to see a lot of family I haven’t seen in a couple years who only just found out about me being gay this year, and I don’t really want to throw in the conversations about going vegan either or have to be high maintenance. I think, for now, I’m okay with being vegan for my own food I make and buy, but I’ll eat non-vegan food at family/friend events, work events, etc. 

I’ve only been buying and making vegan food for the past couple weeks, and so far, it’s going really well. It’s easier than I thought it would be. It’s fun getting to experiment with food and try lots of new things while feeling healthier, friendlier to the environment, and saving the lives of animals.

I’d say a downside is that a lot of the foods I use to treat myself with/save for special occasions, I now can’t have and don’t have an alternative. Like, for instance, pizza and ice cream. I’ve only heard of one vegan pizza option near me, and the pizza place isn’t known for being good. There are a lot of ice cream options at the store, but they’re a lot more expensive, and the one I’ve tried so far was just so-so. It didn’t even feel like that much of a treat. This is sort of a good thing because it should force me to be healthier, but it also still sucks in a way.

Another downside is that I just have to think a lot more about food. A lot of the stuff I was used to making I now can’t have or I have to think about altering, so a lot of my quick go-to meals aren’t available anymore. I’ve had to start going to a different grocery store to get vegan items. It’s just less convenient.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, kfitz421 said:

I was vegan for 6 years and I had so many health problems by the end of it. I began to eat animal products and am feeling much better. Veganism was just a way to make feel like I had control over food

Did you eat vitamins etc. as a replacement of important things in some products? It's important in vegan diet. In vegetarian not really... but it's always good for you to take something extra  

• Love 1

I was vegan for 9 years , then I began feeling unwell at the beginning of this year and went back to eating milk and eggs , honestly my health problems weren't due to veganism but that said it's so much easier being a vegetarian , especially where I live the grocery store in my neighborhood is really expensive and they barely have vegan products beside vegetables and bread , so yeah I'm no longer vegan because I am so skinny and I have to gain weight, but I'm not touching meat ever again the smell of it really disgusts me... I can't eat it .... I hope I'll live without consuming animal products in the future , I know it's wrong what we're doing to these poor animals.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block