The VEGAN thread

6 hours ago, Danielle1987 said:

Let me say, I logically and morally agree with veganism. I believe being vegan truly is the right way to go for your health and spirit. I’ve been vegan off and on. I’ve been vegetarian off and on. Are you familiar with Dr. Sebi’s alkaline electric diet (which is also vegan)? I’ve been that, too.

I was most recently on Dr. Sebi’s diet & I started feeling extremely weak. It was exhausting moving my muscles, I felt like I was gonna fall out. So, I knew the way I was getting protein wasn’t “enough” for me. I bought chicken breast and ate grilled chicken. I immediately felt better and got my strength back. 

I’ve been eating meat and dairy ever since. Cheese is the biggest weakness. But I do not eat a lot of meat - I’ve invested in protein shakes. Since I’ve found a good protein shake, I’ve been considering trying that alkaline electric diet again. But...cheese!!!

Urgh. Cheese was the hardest thing to give up for me 

The  violife vegan cheese is pretty good though

oh I’ve never heard of the Dr Serbi diet. It sounds like it was intense and wasn’t right for you though.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, bspearsMJfan5 said:

Just saw this thread from the Demi debacle.. I'm vegan as well, I was vegetarian for 10, been vegan for almost 5 years. It'll be 5 on the start of 2021. I suffer from fibromyalgia, so some days are extremely difficult but I do this for the animals. 🙏😍❤️💋

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

:mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

• Love 1

I tried it once. I discovered through cooking with coconut oil that I had a coconut sensitivity. Had severe constipation. Then I tried nuts. I developed a nut sensitivity and it also caused gastrointestinal problems overtime too. Soy also made me sick. So I learned you can't go into extremes with anything. It didn't make sense to go Vegan. Even if you eat vegetables and fruits, GMO vegetables and fruits have extra sugar. So I strictly stick to an organic diet. With meats, I make sure I'm only eating 100% Organic Grass-fed and Grass-finished (because some cows are fed with soy foods). Same with chicken breast, no soy-feed diet. I eat the same two meals everyday practically. No processed foods. No fruits (as few sugars in my diets as possible). No dairy aside from organic cheese pizza from time to time (organic grass-fed cheese aren't bad in moderation).

From the research I looked at comparing brains of those who are vegan vs. vegetarian vs. vegetarian/meat eaters .... a balanced diet of vegetables and organic meats lead to heartier brain development overtime. So we essentially need Vitamin B in meat to keep us sane essentially unfortunately. Although I commend people who don't because they don't want to harm animals. So I respect that. I honestly tried and this is the best diet for me.  

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I'm going to try going vegan again soon. Honestly, I can't have cheese anyway so I'm halfway there although I do love cheese and sometimes have it and pay for the consequences later but I know that has to stop as it also makes my skin breakout. I don't even love meat that much other than hamburger meat, I don't love turkey or any of that other meat. Chicken is good but I can take it or leave it. So I'm hoping to go full vegan asap.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sweetkiss said:

I became vegan too officially just recently so Im glad to collect some recipes from you guys. I was always eating plants mostly so if made sense to me since I dont eat much meat anyways. I think its healthier + we dont get bad karmic points (buddhist belief)

Soo many amazing vegan recipes out there and much more options available today compared to when I first went vegan in 2015/16.

Have you checked out Deliciously Ella, Happy Pear and Vegan Richa?

im pescatarian bc i dont like the taste of meat, my moms vegetarian (its also the taste for her) and my best friend is vegan

i really like vegan food but thinking about supplements and nutrition and stuff sounds really hard, i tried going vegan for my best friend but im way too anemic by birth so it didnt work out

• Love 2

I'm not a vegan YET. Cause I feel in the future it will be easier because there will be more options to eat etc. I've started to be a vegetarian tho 2 years ago and it was extremely easy to me, I just stopped eating it. I just find meat extremely disgusting and I felt like I was eating death and pain of killed animals and obviously seeing all of these animals being killed is horrible and Im 100% against it in this world when we dont have to do that and we are intelligent enough to see what's good and what's bad (animals can't obvi so they can eat each other cause they try to survive but it's still horrible). It's so pathetic when influencers, celebrities etc. upload a photo of forests being burned down and that it has to be stopped cause animals are dying and then... they eat ******* meat... disgusting. And I feel like I just couldn't date a person that eats meat, seeing them eating it around me, the smell, kissing them after they did that and it's even in their s***m GROSS. 

• Love 2

I was vegetarian for 10 years, and I've been vegan for the last 5. Best decision of my life!!! I do it for the animals, and the planet. :)

I've always had a connection to all animals but always was blinded by the disassociation of "companion" animal vs. "food" One of my best friends since high-school became vegetarian in high-school and he inspired me; we went to community college together and his words and my research made me a veg head!!! The horror and atrocities committed everyday against animals in this world is appalling!! I cannot and will not support that!! I struggle with fibromyalgia and have really bad days quite often, but I still stick my values. I take a daily Omega vitamin/b-12 just as a precautionary and try to live as vegan as possible. Obviously some things are unavoidable, it's about doing your best and doing you!! Any decrease in animal agriculture in any form is better for them and for the planet. :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Love 1
  • 1 month later...

I was vegan for almost 4 years. But recently, started eating everything again.

As bad as it sounds, I feel like I have gotten over an eating disorder. it made me too restrictive and extreme. And if I am honest quick to anger. I went from being a passionate and adventurous food lover to basically being ecstatic if my food was vegan, even if it tasted like old socks.

Once I came to the conclusion that any diet which requires you to take supplements and pills is not healthy in the long term, I never looked back. It didn't help that the vast majority of vegan restaurants in my city served fast food, while the other dining establishments served overpriced organic-ecological-macrobiotic-blessed by a monk food. I couldn't win. So, cooking 4 meals a day eventually became a chore. 

I live in Spain, so the Mediterranean diet suits me well. And considering it's known as one of the healthiest and tastiest in the world, with little to no meat or dairy, I am completely fine with that. Plus, when people come to visit, I don't need to make excuses about where to go eat.

I don't think I'll ever switch back to being 100% plant based, I'm happy to go the Ottolenghi route and being PB 75-85% of the time. Which means I can have a freshly prepared stone oven cheesy pizza, followed by a Tiramisu, now and then and not feel bad about it.

My grandmother who is almost 100, and eats everything, always says it's best to eat what is native to you. She's probably right. Though, I think her secret is that she only eats 1 or 2 smallish meals a day. And she probably has good genes.

vegan GIF

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Justin Woodpond said:

I was vegan for almost 4 years. But recently, started eating everything again.

As bad as it sounds, I feel like I have gotten over an eating disorder. it made me too restrictive and extreme. And if I am honest quick to anger. I went from being a passionate and adventurous food lover to basically being ecstatic if my food was vegan, even if it tasted like old socks.

Once I came to the conclusion that any diet which requires you to take supplements and pills is not healthy in the long term, I never looked back. It didn't help that the vast majority of vegan restaurants in my city served fast food, while the other dining establishments served overpriced organic-ecological-macrobiotic-blessed by a monk food. I couldn't win. So, cooking 4 meals a day eventually became a chore. 

I live in Spain, so the Mediterranean diet suits me well. And considering it's known as one of the healthiest and tastiest in the world, with little to no meat or dairy, I am completely fine with that. Plus, when people come to visit, I don't need to make excuses about where to go eat.

I don't think I'll ever switch back to being 100% plant based, I'm happy to go the Ottolenghi route and being PB 75-85% of the time. Which means I can have a freshly prepared stone oven cheesy pizza, followed by a Tiramisu, now and then and not feel bad about it.

My grandmother who is almost 100, and eats everything, always says it's best to eat what is native to you. She's probably right. Though, I think her secret is that she only eats 1 or 2 smallish meals a day. And she probably has good genes.

vegan GIF

Totally respect this as veganism is not right for everybody and you have to do what’s best for your body.

I’ve been lucky that I haven’t faced any health problems in vegan journey thus far *knock on wood (...actually I feel like my health has improved overall)

Thanks so much for sharing your journey ❤️

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block