Who do you think influenced Britney more: Janet or Madonna?

I would say Janet. Both dancing styles could fit so well if you put them into a dance routine. 

When it comes to Madonna, I am a Madonna fan and I can tell that it was (mainly) the media who started the comparison between the 2, it was basically because there hadnt been any female music phenomenon as big as Madonna at the time, that's why they called her the Princess of Pop, there was already a queen of pop so the next royal title was a princess. 

Both Madonna and Britney started off their career delivering great and amazing pop classics but they were also involved in controversy but the attitude Madonna took to face that controversy was waaaaaay different than Britney's.

Madonna was courageous, bold, brave and even some times openly shameless about her controversial issues, while Britney was managed to be "the good girl". Both Madonna and Britney were blonde, ****, controversial (in their own ways) but as a music career, unlike Madonna, Britney has always gone the safe way while Madonna tries new things, different producers, themes, and the most important SHE SPEAKS ABOUT HER MUSIC, something I miss from Britney, since the Circus era, she barely talks about her work and I choose to think the c-ship has something to do with it and her freedom to speak about what she wants.  

• Like 2

The only thing Janet about Britney is the dance move. Madonna is kinda average dancer. So in that dept its Janet. Everything else her music and image is more Madonna. She went from pure pop records to Dance/electronics sane as Madonna. Janet has always been R&B. She was also provocative from day one and always played her sexuality well, not as much as Madonna but she is not shying away from it. Janet had her moments but overall she had a pretty clean image. So I dont know why everybody say Janet. To me I see a lot of Madonna in her

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, officialmaurice said:

I say Janet until the Blackout era (RIP UrbaNey) then the Madonna influences kicked in

i dont think musically she was ever in the same vibes as Janet. Janet was R&B, Britney had some R&B songs, but prior to In The Zone she was largely a pure pop singer like Madonna was back in the 80s. Then in the 90s Madonna went into EDM, same as Britney. Musically her influence would hv been Madonna. But dancing is probably Janet. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Afiq said:

i dont think musically she was ever in the same vibes as Janet. Janet was R&B, Britney had some R&B songs, but prior to In The Zone she was largely a pure pop singer like Madonna was back in the 80s. Then in the 90s Madonna went into EDM, same as Britney. Musically her influence would hv been Madonna. But dancing is probably Janet. 

Have you listened to the Britney (2001) album? The similarities musically towards Janet Jackson in that album are HUGE.

• Like 2

She dances and sings more like Janet(especially her more mainstream pop hits, "all for you" and "Nasty")

But I feel she personally prefers Madonna - has collaborated or covered with her several times - Human Nature, Like A Virgin, MATM, Burning up and covered playing her songs all the time in IG videos and photoshoots.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 2:41 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

Even when she mentions Janet it's a whisper. But her team will allow Beyonce to be mentioned as a mentor and an influence. 

This isn't entirely fair.  In 2000, arguably the peak of her fame (really, any year from 1999-2004 could be argued as her fame peak) she said Janet Jackson opened the door for her:

(3:08)

On 7/25/2020 at 10:32 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

Outside Britney Jean and Sporty spice, nobody does backflips on stage 

It's really only their thing cos they did gymnastics. 

Still, both Janet and Madonna (and Paula Abdul) were NEVER athletic enough to pull it off, ESPECIALLY LIVE. (And neither could most of her peers)  

The official Britney-related "Mom, can we have ___?" meme thread. - Britney  Spears - BreatheHeavy | Exhale

I mean, she also does it in arguably her most iconic video Toxic, and people called her a Janet clone during that era...

Britney: "I can still do the back handspring" - Britney Spears - FOTP

So in reality, she's influenced by a variety of artists, just like Madonna and Janet were before her...

• Like 1

I randomly came across the Nasty video on YouTube and noticed there were several moments in the song/video Britney referenced herself:

Janet shouting ‘STOP’ at the beginning - Britney said the same halfway through the Stop! Remix of (You Drive Me) Crazy

The cinema scene at the beginning of the video was also referenced in the Ooh La La video

Janet saying ‘I love this part’ halfway through the song - Britney said ‘I like this part’ halfway through Break the Ice 

And of course, Britney covered the song on the BOMT tour :tbh: 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Have you listened to the Britney (2001) album? The similarities musically towards Janet Jackson in that album are HUGE.

I agree on the 3rd album. There are some similaritirs but largely speaking "Britney" was still a teen bubblegum pop album. And also In The Zone has kind of an R&B vibe to it. But to be honest I dont think Britney was really into R&B. For example her record label wanted Outrageous to be her first single for ITZ bcoz R&B was the IT thing back then. But Britney pushed for Me Against The Music, then Jive wanted Boom2 for the 2nd single. But she pushed for Toxic. Plus lets not forget Baby & Oops are totally bubblegum pop, similar to Madonna's Like A Virgin & True Blue. Its obvious to me that she was proving a point that she wants to transition into club music rather than R&B. She really wanted to follow Madonna's footstep rather than Janet. It also make sense bcoz she talks about Madonna all the time and she doesnt talk about Janet that much. 

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Afiq said:

I agree on the 3rd album. There are some similaritirs but largely speaking "Britney" was still a teen bubblegum pop album. And also In The Zone has kind of an R&B vibe to it. But to be honest I dont think Britney was really into R&B. For example her record label wanted Outrageous to be her first single for ITZ bcoz R&B was the IT thing back then. But Britney pushed for Me Against The Music, then Jive wanted Boom2 for the 2nd single. But she pushed for Toxic. Plus lets not forget Baby & Oops are totally bubblegum pop, similar to Madonna's Like A Virgin & True Blue. Its obvious to me that she was proving a point that she wants to transition into club music rather than R&B. She really wanted to follow Madonna's footstep rather than Janet. It also make sense bcoz she talks about Madonna all the time and she doesnt talk about Janet that much. 

The truth is, when you look at her career COLLECTIVELY, Britney is her OWN ARTIST.  Yeah, she has her influences (including Madonna and Janet), but even they have their own influences too...

Just like Britney couldn't do things Madonna or Janet have done, Madonna and Janet couldn't do things that Britney did either.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2020 at 5:36 AM, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Britney and Madonna are both blondes 

AOH STOP SPREADING LIES!!! 

Britney LOVES Madge and has definitely referenced M in her videos too:

Sometimes VS True Blue 

Toxic VS Ray Of Light (Night City Scene vs Day city scene)

Everytime VS Drowned World

My Prerogative VS Justify My Love

Someday vs Love Dont Live Here Anymore

Gimme More VS Like A Prayer

I Wanna Go VS What It Feels Like For A Girl

And she definitely referenced BOTH artists in her albums too:

BOMT vs Dream Street

OIDIA vs Rhythm Nation 1814

Britney vs Control and janet.

In The Zone vs Ray Of Light, The Velvet Rope & Erotica

Blackout vs Like A Prayer

Circus vs All For You & Music

Femme Fatale vs Confessions

Britney is a Madge + Janet hybrid. A mix of Janets dance and performance and Madges image, but she is the white version of Janet, mostly.

This is for you @CrazyButItFeelsAllright  @samwoods321 @Britneyarmy8 and all you haters trying to downgrade M's impact simply bc yall dont like her. STOP

10 minutes ago, Leolileinstein said:

The "Britney" album is basically an album full of Janet rejects. Everything sounds like JJ

Even if it does. Its only one album compared to an entire discography based on Madonna's career. You cant say shes influenced by Janet when she is hardly an R&B singer because shes a pop singer. Her music evolution exactly follows Madonna footsteps. 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Afiq said:

Its only one album compared to an entire discography based on Madonna's career. You cant say shes influenced by Janet when she is hardly an R&B singer because shes a pop singer. Her music evolution exactly follows Madonna footsteps. 

Oh please, Britney's early work (BOMT, OIDIA, Britney) even Circus follows Janet's footstep. Only In The Zone and Blackout follow Madonna's footstep.

1 minute ago, Leolileinstein said:

Oh please, Britney's early work (BOMT, OIDIA, Britney) even Circus follows Janet's footstep. Only In The Zone and Blackout follow Madonna's footstep.

BOMT, OIDIA, CIRCUS isnt following Janet footsteps. BOMT, OIDIA, CIRCUS is a POP album. Janet is an R&B singer releasing R&B albums. BOMT, OIDIA is absolutely a teen bubblegum pop album that is similar to Like A Virgin & True Blue a largely bubblegum pop album. Then Madonna transitiom to EDM. Blackout is her Ray of Light, circus and FF is her Music & COADF EDM influence music. 

18 minutes ago, Afiq said:

BOMT, OIDIA, CIRCUS isnt following Janet footsteps.

BOMT is her Dreem Street

OIDIA is CLEARLY her Rhythm Nation 1814

Then Madonna transitiom to EDM. Blackout is her Ray of Light, circus and FF is her Music & COADF EDM influence music. 

Britney nay have followed madges career direction but its more like:

In The Zone is her Ray Of Light+The Velvet Rope (the love child)

Blackout is her Like A Prayer

Circus is her All For You/Music

Femme Fatale is her Confessions

BJ is her MDNA