Who do you think influenced Britney more: Janet or Madonna?

2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I actually think Madonna's influence on Britney is pretty low compared to other artists.

And the imbecile Larry Rudolph has never uttered the name Janet Jackson out of his mouth.  He simply can never be considered a great manager with one successful client.  Can you imagine him managing Beyonce or Taylor Swift?  They would commit suicide.

Anyway, even this message board from late 2003 that was critical of her even noticed the comparison:

"How many times can Britney do the lip sync to The Zone? Saw it on SNL a month ago then again tonight and also on the VMA awards. When I watch her all I can think is Janet Jackson ripoff..."

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/snl-rerun-with-britney-lip-sync.1854/

I don't consider Britney a Janet rip-off, but rather her performances from 2000-2004 were obviously heavily influenced by her.

That 2003 VMA with Madonna-probably influenced by Larry Rudolph- was probably a mistake in Britney's career.

• Love 5
  • Haha 1

Madonna.

Their career paths (Madonna’s and Britney’s) are similar and Britney’s music (apart from Britney) sounds a lot more like Madonna than Janet. They’re both some of Britney’s biggest influences but I see a lot more Madonna than Janet in Britney. Performing wise she’s probably more Janet, but music wise, iconic moments wise and just looking at her career, it’s Madonna. Plus it’s been made clear Madonna is Britney’s real idol and she clearly prefers Madonna’s music.

• Haha 4
  • Like 3

I think she was definitely inspired by both Janet and Madonna. I think that she became a hybrid of both, a little bit of Madonna with a dash of Janet and mix that in with Britney's own ideas and stuff and that’s what became Britney Spears, Ultimate Pop Star.

Mtv My Loneliness Is Killing Me GIF by Britney Spears

• Love 7
2 hours ago, EasyThere said:

Both.

Performing wise Jackson family in general.

Musically and image wise definitely Madonna 

2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

I think growing up, it was Madonna - cause who wouldn't be? But once she became an artist and watching and listening to other artists, she got more inspired by Janet. :mattafact:

It's normal that when you grow up, sometimes it's not your childhood inspiration that you follow - cause you discover yourself and what works for you. Like Britney is my inspiration growing up and I know for a fact that if I become an artist, I would be a Celine Dion and not a Britney Spears because although I can dance and I play pretend popstar in the bathroom, I know I am more suited to being a ballad diva. :tiffdrink:

There's no doubt Britney's team was far more inspired by Madonna from a marketing standpoint.  The problem with that is you're putting a teen to young female under intense global scrutiny, while Madonna (and Janet) were adults hitting it big.

And Britney's In The Zone was influenced by a number of artists, like Kylie Minogue etc...

• Love 2
  • Like 2