Kim Petras gets backlash for empathizing with JK Rowling

• Leader

The collective Internet labeled JK Rowling transphobic after she Tweeted her point of view on trans people. 

Rowling isn't back down. She penned a lengthy essay explaining her point of view. You can read it on her website.

Here's an excerpt: 

"All I'm asking -- all I want -- is for similar empathy, similar understanding, to be extended to the many millions of women whose sole crime is wanting their concerns to be heard without receiving threats and abuse," Rowling said.

It caught the attention of trans pop star, Kim Petras, who was on the other end of backlash following her Tweets to Rowling showing the empathy the distinguished author asked for.

In the now-deleted Tweet, Kim wrote:

"I'm honestly thankful for her taking the time and going in depth. I agree with a lot of this and disagree with some of it. I do think it's not right to write her off as a transphobe. Everybody has the right to an opinion. But now please can she talk about BLM.

EaLVq_GWoAY2oI2?format=jpg&name=900x900

People were quick to call Kim out, which prompted the "Malibu" singer to remove her initial Tweets and issue an apology. 

"I’m sorry . I informed myself about the transphobic attacks going on in the UK right now . JK Rowling’s excerpt being a part of it . Truly sorry to anybody I hurt . I don’t like hate . I thought we could disagree and move on to talking about BLM  . That was dumb , my bad ."

Yet another case of cancel culture. Not everyone is going to see eye-to-eye with Rowling, though she did her best to explain herself. Even if you don't agree with her, this notion of labeling someone something abhorrent doesn't sit well with me. It also sucks that Kim was pressured into retracting her opinion, too. How does bullying someone move any sort of conversation forward? 

Thoughts?

Related:

kim-jk.jpg.2f101a1c0921eae2e1b44edbf08dae9a.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I understand JK's point of view, and agree with most of it. In Daniel's input he accused JK of erasing people of their trans identity but then at the same time he said trans women are women. Doesn't saying that erase trans women of their identity as trans?  

It's a very difficult situation. JK believes what she believes and no one is gonna make her think otherwise, and people who already labelled her as a transphobe, won't change their mind either, no matter how many explanations she gives. In fact, I think the more she tries to explain herself, the more hate she will receive.

And anybody that tries to defend, or even be empathetic towards her, EVEN WHILE ADMITTING THEY DON'T AGREE WITH HER IN EVERYTHING, will automatically suffer the effects of the backlash JK is receiving. It's like the only political correct thing to do right now in this situation is talk about how wrong JK is, or not say anything at all. 

I think JK just needs to stop, yet again, who am I to silence anyone's opinions? So as I always say, people should just ignore her, but if they believe she's part of the problem by making these statements, again, who am I to silence them? :whatitellu: 

I personally believe her statements were incorrect and she's ignoring the rights and identity of many people, however, I KINDA get her point too, or at least I try to understand, because tbh that's the most I can do, try to be empathetic because I'll never be in her shoes, because I'm not a woman, and I'm also not a trans person either, so I can only try to imagine what both sides feel from their perspective. Again, it's really difficult, because just as all the people that are upset feel her statements or her way of thinking as an attack, she's also being attacked and she sees that from her point of view (even if most people will believe she deserves it). And there's also the fact that she's considered a privileged white woman, so that kinda cancels her right to feel offended or attacked. 

These situations are like you're either against or in favor, and there's no middle grounds. 

At the end I think people really need to use these instances to reflect what is it that we need to do to create a better world? Transphobia, homophobia, racism, xenophobia, misogyny are all real, and there's even people that have all of these and more, but the question is, do we just call them out racists, transphobes, etc and cancel them on social media? Shouldn't there be a way to educate these people, a way different than just sending hate? And I know it might be unfair to ask for this when there's been millions of people that have suffered because of this, but again, what is really the best solution? :idkney:

• Love 6
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, ol123 said:

I understand JK's point of view, and agree with most of it. In Daniel's input he accused JK of erasing people of their trans identity but then at the same time he said trans women are women. Doesn't saying that erase trans women of their identity as trans?  

That's a whole debate on its own, and I was reading about  it the other day too.

Like people who ask for neutral pronouns, like, for everybody, as in there shouldn't be male and female pronouns (well, it was for Spanish speakers), goes against transgender people that have fought for years to be recognized and referred to as who they really are and feel, or for that matter, any person that likes to be recognized as female or male. 

And as you say there might be people who do like to be recognized as transgender, so at the end I don't think we can generalize, because we end up creating a bunch of labels or categories and forcing people to pick whatever suits them best, ignoring their specific needs or issues. So I think the only thing we can generalize is respect for everybody's own unique identity and reality. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

People also like to push some kind of narrative that a trans women can't identify as just that a TRANS women and it seems to mostly be cis people that get mad about like, tf. The LGBT community is always pushing that people can identify as whatever they want, yet when what they identify as isn't what the community want, they get attacked and hated. Whether people admit it or not, the community beliefs as a whole is FULL of hypocrisy.

• Love 1
  • Like 4
20 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I think people still don't understand transgender still. It definitely should be addressed in high school ****** Health education classes..

I was reading the other day, that they had approved (I think) in the UK to include all these topics in school, and they even showed the book and the way they were gonna treat them to explain these different topics to kids, but people were rebelling against it, particularly religious schools who refused to include it on their program. Everybody in the comments section were furious too :nochillbrit:

10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I was reading the other day, that they had approved (I think) in the UK to include all these topics in school, and they even showed the book and the way they were gonna treat them to explain these different topics to kids, but people were rebelling against it, particularly religious schools who refused to include it on their program. Everybody in the comments section were furious too :nochillbrit:

In the US. It's more acceptable to be gay or a lesbian. It was way more accepted to be a lesbian. It took last decade for gay men to be accepted by the General public.  

Lesbians were always accepted. We all know why. straight men sexualized the idea of two girls to where it became acceptable in mainstream media. Even Now females are more into men on men Adult films than the audience it's intended for. 

It's a big mystery. 

• Love 1

JK Rowling should stop digging. The hole is too big. 
I’m upset that Kim tried to be understanding and even noted she didn’t agree and she still gets backlash. As a trans person :disappointed:Understanding and compassion go along way, especially in teachable moments. 
Clearly Rowling isn’t interested in changing her mind, so stop following her and reduce her platform. But just because Rowling refuses to see it any other way doesn’t give licence to incite hate. Stan twitter calling for her execution is just stupid. Just pity her narrow mind and move on :donewithit:

• Love 2

Trans women are not biological women, and I've never met a trans woman who does not understand this, hence the dysphoria. It's how JK Rowling uses that information that is so telling. Opposing the move for Trans women to be legally recognized in the UK, opposing trans inclusive bathrooms, those things are what reveal her to be transphobic, THAT is why she should be canceled. 

That being said, it's not the first time she's been in hot water over these views. This is like the 3rd or 4th time JK Rowling has been "canceled", why has nothing come of that. My biggest gripe with cancel culture is that it's not proven to be very effective use of anyone's time. Over and over again I keep seeing twitter make an absolute spectacle of her opinions, like,  honestly what's canceled about someone who's constantly making news headlines?:frenchy:  I suggest you just find you a new book franchise, give her opinions on this the solitude they deserve, and call it a day on that. 

• Like 2

I'm a male and I'm not trans. So in the conflicting discussions regarding 'terfs' and trans rights, it makes my head hurt. As a male, it is wrong for me to try and decide who are allowed in women's spaces and I respect the right for women to fight for their own identities. As a LGTBQ+ individual, I support trans rights and them being able to explore their identities without discrimination. When it comes to rights of groups I'm not apart of, I try to listen and support those voices. It makes it extremely difficult for me. I'm supportive of both sides and see valid arguments in both camps. 

One group's rights should not be eroded in assistance of another's. Period. With this belief, it makes taking a side this debate difficult. As one group is requiring concession from another within society. It's an important discussion to be having, though EXTREMELY difficult. idek. Being a human is difficult, but I try my best to not be an idealogue.

• Love 1

I'm very new to this cancel culture, I had to cancel Doja Kat these days (who didn't?) but sometimes everyone says something that sounds homophobic/transphobic/****** etc, but not because they're evil, maybe it's because of lack of education, lack of someone to give some hints and one different point of view of a subject. I believe when we cancel someone we are promoting that person and lots of people see that, and they come to support the canceled person because he thinks he/she doesn't deserve the backlash for something they agree eventhough it's a miserable opinion. If the person at least could say that is sorry, it could start to change something, though I don't believe in suddenly changes, but it's a beginning. The idea of stop buying their products it's very interesting, sometimes people feel more in their pockets than in their hearts.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I think it’s mature and understanding of her to say what she earnestly meant. It’s good for her to know and let others see that opinions are still good and valid things, even if you disagree with them. As a trans girl herself, Kim didn’t say anything wrong and she didn’t side with Rowling either, she acknowledged. I don’t think she saw it as an attack, and I like that she’s bigger and get might even somehow agree with some of Rowling’s statements. They’re both right. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, brycetippe said:

I'm a male and I'm not trans. So in the conflicting discussions regarding 'terfs' and trans rights, it makes my head hurt. As a male, it is wrong for me to try and decide who are allowed in women's spaces and I respect the right for women to fight for their own identities. As a LGTBQ+ individual, I support trans rights and them being able to explore their identities without discrimination. When it comes to rights of groups I'm not apart of, I try to listen and support those voices. It makes it extremely difficult for me. I'm supportive of both sides and see valid arguments in both camps. 

One group's rights should not be eroded in assistance of another's. Period. With this belief, it makes taking a side this debate difficult. As one group is requiring concession from another within society. It's an important discussion to be having, though EXTREMELY difficult. idek. Being a human is difficult, but I try my best to not be an idealogue.

I am also not trans,  I am male, gay,  black , and I am cisgender ; but I just want to toss around some thoughts on this because I think your post is really well intentioned. Do you remember a time in America, before same-*** marriage was legalized, when people proclaimed that they did not hate gay people, but actively opposed our right to marry?  JK Rowling is doing a very similar thing, she is saying that she does not hate trans people, but also publicly OPPOSING trans rights, and using every opportunity she speaks on this issue to emphasis her fundamental belief that she believes trans people are just their biological ***, and that any attempts at creating legal protections or inclusivity for trans people is an attack on "womanhood". 

The worst part is there are legitimate questions that require research and answers about trans identity. There are trans people who transition as adolescents and  de-transition later, there are people who find their trans identities much much later on in life, there is no definite answer to how much of trans identity is innate to a person and how much of it could be social factors. You cannot even begin to answer those questions though when you keep regarding trans-women AS men and acting like every positive step for their inclusion in society is an affront to biological women, because opinions like that is just the transphobia talking, my understanding good hearted sistren.:hugs:

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block