Exhale AMA with "Mood Ring" co-writer and vocal producer Jon Asher

• Verified
7 hours ago, 5HINee said:

hello,

- Do you consider yourself as a Britney fan after working for her or have you always been a fan?

- I read that you were into k-pop. Is there a k-pop group you'd like to work with? 

- Why is mood ring so perfect? :yesplease: 

• Love 5
  • Verified
7 hours ago, Louis_j said:

Hi Jon. I'd like to say how much I love Mood Ring. It's one of my favorites from Glory. So, my questions are :

•  
  • What was Britney like in the studio recording Mood Ring ?
  •  
  • What do you think about Britney's voice ?
  •  
  • A lot of producers like to over-produce Britney's vocals.. What's your opinion on that ?
  •  
  • Did you do any other songs with Britney ? If yes, can you talk about them ?
  •  

Thank you.

• Love 6
  • Like 1
  • Verified
7 hours ago, BritneyIcon said:

Hi Jon! Thank you so very much for contributing such an impactful song to Brit’s discography!

What specific considerations had to be made when vocally producing Britney’s vocals in comparison to other artists you’ve produced for?

• Love 4
  • Like 1
  • Verified
6 hours ago, Slayer said:

did anything surprise you about Britney?

any fun facts you can think of to give us in relation to your time working with Britney?

how do you feel knowing Mood Ring is a much loved fan track?

would you reach out to Britney regarding new music?

did you do any other songs with Britney that she recorded/wrote that didn't make the cut of the album?

what was britney like to work with?

Amazing work btw! :) I hope you work with Britney again in the future!

• Love 7
  • Verified
6 hours ago, Slayer said:

when were you informed of Mood Ring possibly being added to more streaming platforms? or were you not told?

what are your thoughts on Britney?

what was it like to work with her team?

is there a lot of rumours/mystery that you hear about britney in the music industry?

is it very hard to speak to Britney and do you have go through a lot of people to speak to her?

are her team overprotective of people talking to her? / do you think she is shielded?

• Love 7
  • Verified
3 hours ago, julianafac said:

Hello, Im from Brazil. Long time Britney fan.

My questions are:

. how was like to work with/for britney? Did she or her team request anything specific? Or gave any feedback regarding song type or direction? 
. do you have any idea as to why mood ring became a bonus track? Its a fan favorite and i think i can speak for every1 that we thought it shouldve been first or at least a single!

. I love the lyrics!

. Did you work on any other song for her (that we dont know of)? If yes, hows it is like? 

. And, do u have a hard time writing for women? * Sometimes i ask myself how men can write such feminine songs (not being ******, just curious. Cause i was listening to Outrageous and we all know who wrote that, And its a ****, feminine song).

thanks a lot, and again, I really loved the lyrics this time!!! And beat of course..

• Love 3
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

True. I wonder if Britney has any Dr. Luke stories like everyone else seems too. Sigh. We’ll never know. Anyways, Jon Asher can get it ☺️

uhm, I don't think she'll have anything but positive stories.. :awkblink:

From 2011:

Dr. Luke has become a big-name producer in his own right since your last album – is it different working with him now?
Not really. We have known each other for a really long time. Most people don’t know this but we actually worked together when I was recording “Blackout.” He was incredible back then and he has only gotten better over the years.

Dr. Luke said last fall that “I want [the sound] to get harder in some ways, and maybe a little more deep into electronic — grimier.” Did you have that same agenda for the album? Do you feel like you accomplished that?
When we first sat down to talk about Femme Fatale I knew I wanted to make a dance album that was ahead of everything else out there but unique to me which is why I was so picky with the recording process. I only wanted songs that I immediately connected to. I also wanted to make sure that this album was completely different from Circus or anything else I had ever recorded. I love Circus but I wanted something darker and edgier. I also wanted to make an album and didn’t want to just record a bunch of songs and put them together. I think Femme Fatale is really connected from start to finish.

What is it about Max Martin that makes you so comfortable collaborating with him? How much bigger of a role did he take on this album than he did for “Circus”?
Max played a huge role on this album and he has been there since the beginning so there is such a huge level of trust. He gets exactly what I am saying when I tell him what I want and don’t want musically.  His melodies are incredible and he is always coming up with weird sounds, which I love. The whistle on “I Wanna Go” still gets me every time I hear it. Who would have thought of that? There is nobody I feel more comfortable collaborating with in the studio.

How would you characterize the studio relationship between Max and Dr. Luke?
They are two peas in a pod. It’s a total bromance.