Katy Perry's new song "Daisies" debuts at #40. Why?

I really love Daisies, I love the lyrics, the melody, the positive empowering meaning behind it. The video is not good at all. It needed something more powerful for people to connect. I am not here for Katy, as an artist, take care for her tours or anything BUT I am here for her songs and releases. I think a few things went wrong:

- Her whole Witness era was a MESS. The music, the interviews, her stylistic choices, everything.

- American Idol is NOT doing her good. One season would have been enough, to use it as a platform to launch an album and connect with the GP but I dont think they handled that well either.

- And she failed to connect with the GP the last 3-4 years. I think she was trying to hard at some point.

I lost interest in her, I have no excitement anymore if she is releasing an album or single. But saying that, if I like the song I will stream it or possibly even buy the album. I think she needs to take a break and  they just need to restart her whole career, do a 360. And since she is having a baby its  the perfect time to do it. Come back fresh as  momma and bring us those tunes. Also the musical landscape is changing so quick and fast, its really hard for most of the 2000's artists to find there spot. Not for all, but for most.

• Love 2

Her Career is pushing up daisies! She needs to face the facts, Dr. Fluke, and Bonnie Mckee Made her. Now she's nothing (what she used to be)...that's the industry for you.  Her Hype was a concept (someone else's). It wasn't very natural (for her) and it had an expiration date (being a concept and not the actual vibe or personality of the artist). I was living a Teenage Dream when all that fun **** came out. Now I'm old, and bitter. lol

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I still can't believe why you're all so WORRIED about her... She's proven time and time again that she's hard-working, productive and super creative. She won't stop writing and recording music and making videos or whatever makes her feel good (while making money). She's alright. And her head is in being a mom now, so I'm sure we can all give her a break. Even then, she's still working. Seriously you need to chill.
PS: And I love how she screams "...daisies, daisies, DAISIEEEESSS!!" :clap::haha::ramona:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

She did say she's not worried about the charts. But lets face facts. 

She's a product of Dr. LUKE. JUST LIKE KESHA.  She wasn't a Madonna or gaga. Where the artist made the producers. 

She was a product of the producer makes the artist. Her and Keshas career took a tumble when both couldn't work with Dr. Luke. Even though she worked with Max Martin. You can clearly tell dr. Luke produced a bulk of her biggest hits. 

Cos Taylor swift worked with Max Martin who produced Bad Blood. So I did find it odd. Katy was willing to work with him on witness. Plus Katy was called out by the LGBT community for working with migos and other homophobic acts for street cred. That was after gladd honored her. Which led to a petition to have Gladd remove her honor when bon appetit was announced. 

• Love 5

I think ppl are just over her and there’s nothing all that special about her. Her voice is average, most of her songs are average, and during the witness era (and ever since) her personality became insufferable. I think she kinda got lucky with Teenage Dream. Don’t get me wrong, I love that album, but it just kinda hit at the perfect time, when pop music was dominating. She was popular with her first album, but it was kinda like how Rihanna started. She was that girl on the radio who had a lot of hits, but not really a superstar. So when teenage Dream came out ppl still didn’t feel strongly one way about her or another, she had good catchy songs and was pretty, and started to copy Gaga but in a more vanilla/approachable way, where she was more like the girl next door. So ppl just kept wanting to hear her songs on the radio, and she had really good videos for a while. she sorta had a niche with her first album too, she seemed like the goofy hipstery pinup girl who played guitar, but then she changed so much each era, it just all seems fake as opposed to reinvention. 

I just don’t think Katy Perry really has the IT factor. She’s not like Britney, Beyonce, Madonna, Michael, Janet, etc. she’s not even like Taylor, who might be kinda basic, but we all know she’s an amazing songwriter, and she’s really smart, whether real or fake, she’s always kinda had a narrative around her each era that keeps you talking. Katy writes her own songs, but they haven’t been as good since the teenage Dream era, which makes you think that dr luke, Bonnie McKee, and max Martin are mostly the reason those songs are so good. 

all that being said, I like her new song Daisies. It doesn’t really seem like lead single material, but I still think it’s good. Not amazing, but better than her other recent releases. Also the only reason Never Worn White got a lot more views much quicker is because she used it as a stunt to announce she was pregnant. And it’s another really famous persons baby. People checked it out cause it was a news story. It’s the equivalent of when Britney posed nude and pregnant on a magazine (like many other celebs) or when Beyonce showed her bump at the VMAS. The video for Daisies was clearly made low budget and most likely in quarantine, it’s boring I don’t think ppl are really gonna want to watch it over and over. I hate never worn white, but the video was pretty at least. 

• Like 4

I love the song but there wasn't much excitement. The song follows Never Worn White too soon. Also, releasing a leadsingle in a pandemic just isn't good. No or barely interviews, no radio appearances, ... She can't promote it decently and somehow I believe that Katy going Miley Cyrus with her hairdo back in the Witness days and becoming an alter-ego was the worst part of it all. People and the GP hooked off. She literally got compared with Miley all the time and her trash talking about many artists wasn't doing any good either...

People liked her wuth long black her, somewhat silly and goofy personality but that changed with Witness and I think many just are yet to turn back in into her.

Re-inventing is a 50% chance it might work or not, she took the gamble and she lost I'd say. Even Madonna, the queen of re-inventing, didn't always win this (American Life was her worst re-invention which she had to re-invent herself from as people called her over and her career really suffered from it). Let's say Katy is in that situation now.

Witness was Katy's American Life somehow and she needs her Hung Up.

Well, it's not as if it was over. I think Katy would need some sort of reinvention sonically. She is a great songwriter, and she has a greally good ear. I really do think that Daisies is one of the best pop tracks of 2020 so far. Not only is the content of the song perfect, I think her vocal performance is great.

I just think she is in a transition artistically.

This..

• She's consistently released songs over the last year or two, so this doesn't feel like a "lead" single.

I mean, what is the difference between this song and the previous ones? There was no builld up, no excitement or something distinctive that makes you understand that it is a new era, the first single from a new era. There was no promo, absolutely nothing (at least that I know of), in fact, if it wasn't for this site, I never would've known that Katy is going to release a new album. :nyschool:

Also, she is pregnant and we are in quarantine, there was not so much to expect tbh (at least visually speaking // unless they had done everything months ago).

1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

She did say she's not worried about the charts. But lets face facts. 

She's a product of Dr. LUKE. JUST LIKE KESHA.  She wasn't a Madonna or gaga. Where the artist made the producers. 

She was a product of the producer makes the artist. Her and Keshas career took a tumble when both couldn't work with Dr. Luke. Even though she worked with Max Martin. You can clearly tell dr. Luke produced a bulk of her biggest hits. 

Cos Taylor swift worked with Max Martin who produced Bad Blood. So I did find it odd. Katy was willing to work with him on witness. Plus Katy was called out by the LGBT community for working with migos and other homophobic acts for street cred. That was after gladd honored her. Which led to a petition to have Gladd remove her honor when bon appetit was announced. 

wow I never thought about that..... I kinda feel like she got in a rut, that she's trying to find her voice. Sometimes I feel like she's all over the place and not giving one clear message, like most other girls. To me she's definitely the nerdy one out of all the main pop girls, so she should just go with that haha
Oh and she started getting depressing in her singing since "Prism", that's for sure.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block