Katy Perry's new song "Daisies" debuts at #40. Why?

9 minutes ago, Luminous said:

This..

• She's consistently released songs over the last year or two, so this doesn't feel like a "lead" single.

I mean, what is the difference between this song and the previous ones? There was no builld up, no excitement or something distinctive that makes you understand that it is a new era, the first single from a new era. There was no promo, absolutely nothing (at least that I know of), in fact, if it wasn't for this site, I never would've known that Katy is going to release a new album. :nyschool:

Does the world work with "eras" now, though? To me that's the most exciting part of pop music and pop girls, how each ear can be so distinctive and have its own vibe, but it's been years now since that methodology is being challenge with one off singles, so I'm not sure we should cling to that idea for much longer unfortunately... :(

I didn't know it was out. I like a lot of Katy's music but do people care anymore? Witness flopped and she's known for being silly and outlandish with her songs/videos. I'm wondering if a pregnant & more subdued song/video is going to be interested to people coming from her.

PS. I just listened to it and it's not a great song.

I think one of the main reasons is her fans have outgrown her or pop music doesn't have a real place for her since 2017. She's kind of turned into the wine aunt of pop music. Yes, her "Katy Kats" were big, especially during the early 2010s, but I have a feeling they all grew up and are now listening to Ari.

Gaga, Rihanna, and Taylor, who were really popular around the time Katy was have lasted the hype because they create mainstream culture rather than follow it (Aka A Star Is Born, Fenty Beauty, and Taylor just has huge eras like Reputation that are successes). Plus, they are loved by Stan twitter (idk about Taylor though), and Katy is not, so that adds to her downfall.

Overall, no one cares about Katy because everyone outgrew her music and she's more a relic of 2010-2013 rather than holding her own. Also when she fought Taylor, Taylor made much more of a profit on it and had better songs than "swish swish"

Plus, Witness ruined her career and she over-promoted it and she's left to die on American Idol. 

• Like 2

Her fanbase mysteriously disappeared during the Witness era. Like, it seemed to have literally evaporated. I don't get why, but I'm glad because I never thought that she deserved even 1/10th of the success she had during the TD and Prism eras. On that note, Daisies is awfully generic and not even in a good way, so it deserves to flop. :firega:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

katy-daisies.jpg.3a46b4b59e023a7a7990cdf2e73373a1.jpg

Our next #JusticeFor campaign should be for Bionic "Daisies."

Katy Perry's new music video for her lead KP5 single isn't lighting up the Internet the way I thought it would. At the time of posting, the video only racked up just over 5 million views since it's debut. It's her most underwhelming debut to-date. 

By comparison, her ballad, "Never Worn White," in which she announced her pregnancy, was viewed around 10 million times in its first day. "Never Really Over" surpassed that with 10-15 million views in its first day. Katy has 271 million followers combined on social media. Why is "Daisies" not slaying? 

I think there are a couple of reasons:

• She hasn't ever disappeared from the spotlight. American Idol I think is hurting her music career.
  • She's consistently released songs over the last year or two, so this doesn't feel like a "lead" single.
  • She stopped connecting with the GP.

I don't know. Am I the only one that still cares about Katy? Whether you're a Kat or not, I'd love to hear your opinions. 

And stream Daisies smh.

Despite the song being bad, she's the clear example of a popstar which is only represented by her songs. 

I mean... She had HUGE success in the past because her songs were hit, but she failed in creating a solid fanbase. The GP never cared about her, they cared about her hits. 

Britney can still sell 400k copies with glory despite the album being ignored by the GP, that's because of her huge fanbase. 

Katy perry simply doesn't have the same fanbase. 

When her music got boring and she stopped making hits, no one checked for her except her fans, which are way less than what we all thought. 

I like her, but she's the striking example of a disposable popstar. Sad but true. 

• Like 2

I just realized Taylor’s concert for lover comes on tonight after American Idol. Is this shade or was this always planned to air? I feel like this is only airing because the lover tour was postponed. What if Taylor’s songs chart higher than Katy’s?! I would literally die Kill Me Now Fresh Prince Of Bel Air GIF

19 minutes ago, Alex_1991 said:

Despite the song being bad, she's the clear example of a popstar which is only represented by her songs. 

I mean... She had HUGE success in the past because her songs were hit, but she failed in creating a solid fanbase. The GP never cared about her, they cared about her hits. 

Britney can still sell 400k copies with glory despite the album being ignored by the GP, that's because of her huge fanbase. 

Katy perry simply doesn't have the same fanbase. 

When her music got boring and she stopped making hits, no one checked for her except her fans, which are way less than what we all thought. 

I like her, but she's the striking example of a disposable popstar. Sad but true. 

She’s a product of Dr. Luke. Just like Kesha and as much as I live for her, so is Kim Petras. I can’t wait for Doja cat to start flopping with her nasty attitude though. She’s released 17 songs and it wasn’t until say so that she got a hit. It sounds like a Katy Perry song from 2013

idk why the LGBT community supports Doja. She is homophobic. Google it. doll hair flip GIF

• Like 2

Being in quarantine as an artist gives you no excuse to be lazy. Just look at how Little mix did the video for break up song. 

Not lazy. Girls were filmed separately and they even found a creative way to include the elements of the video treatment. 

The felt puppets of the girls, live performance. I mean I love these girls they understand quarantine or not. You still have to promote. Which is call in radio interviews. Oddly radio is still hige internationally. America is the only country to reject anything that isn't internet based media. Satelite televised interviews. 

Katy has no excuse to be lazy. Madonna was heavily pregnant with Rocco and she delivered in creative ways to give the video for her #1 hit Music. 

So. What's her excuse. 

@JordanMiller

@Roxxy

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Just look at how Little mix did the video for break up song. Not lazy. Girls were filmed separately and they even found a creative way to include the elements of the video treatment. 

:nonono:

I love you, Spicey. ❤ But just because they found a way to be creative at home, it don't mean it's good. I don't like both videos but I'll take the Daisies video over Break Up Song. I can atleast appreciate the outdoor setting than this quarantine skype mess. :imacat:

Right away I love the lyrics i think she always has super clever lyrics. It reminds me of Firework and Double Rainbow(one of all time favorite songs PERIOD).  I wouldn't expect it be a single, it's beautiful and i like that its introspective but it's not something i would listen to and it seems like a cut maybe leftover from Prism.

She’s been releasing singles for a year or 2 already now, so it’s not exciting to have a new one. I mean, she basically just released NWW.

Also, Daisies is kinda boring and a downer (even though the lyrics are encouraging) in a time when the world is already a downer. We need happiness and love, not to feel even worse. 

It’s karma for mocking the ruler of the pop universe and for being mean. I have always liked Katy’s music up until recently, I think that she had her time in the spotlight and there are more interesting artists to listen to now. I’ll still listen to Teenage Dream tho. 

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block