Taylor Swift is the current biggest name in pop BUT does she actually have anything iconic?

• Super Mods

I'm kinda mixed tbh on this topic because she does have pretty memorable videos,

probably the most memorable videos of modern day pop girls.

HOWEVER if you compare those videos to iconic videos from the past from like Britney or MJ,

they are basic in comparison.

Plus she does not have iconic performances.

I will say though that out of all the recent pop girls that are popular right now,

she has the most iconic videos.

Her videos are the ones that come up in my mind when I think of iconic videos from the 2010s.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Two much different artists in two much different generations. Taylor does have a huge cultural impact and is obviously extremely successful. She has a dedicated fan base and marketing team behind her and she just doesn’t miss. I personally can’t stand her and don’t see the appeal but she is a phenomenon. 

Britney defined a generation. Love her or hate her, no millennial can say that she isn’t the one stand out pop star who as a whole between her music, videos, performances, brand deals, and tabloid culture was the fixture of an entire generation. 

people love to say “Taylor swift is the music industry” and in a lot of ways they are correct. But Britney Spears is Pop Culture personified. To me, that’s more iconic. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jamesedward94 said:

When did I say Taylor was basic and boring? I’ve said she is a great performer. I just simply don’t think she has anything at the iconic level. This is a pop music forum and we are allowed to discuss things. 

You never said this, but I'm saying that she is boring and basic in her pop music :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

16 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Exactly!

I am a fan of hers but she was NEVER as big as Britney.

She was just a Disney channel actress turned popstar.

Idk why they say that.

:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I take her as some ex-disney actor who tried to do some music.

I really like that performance in the rain she had at the CMA’s during her Fearless Era, but other than that I can’t think of too many big iconic moments that stick out. You know, something that everyone will notice and remember.
I can’t say I’m a huge Swiftie, I do like her though. 
And she’s got some really good videos, and her tours and pretty great, they just get bigger and more massive with each new trek. I’ll give her that, she’s that Gurl..  :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

Edited by MissSpearsSaysSo
  • Like 1

No , imo?

I can find thousands of girls who look just like her in America , I think she is kinda annoying, her music is just meh and I don’t think there’s anything iconic or interesting about her ….but it seems like people like her a lot so what can we do about it ? Just deal with it ?? I guess :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

Im sure around the 2000s a lot of people felt the same about Britney and we still love  her 23 years later so ..i think every generation has their queen :walkoff_miss_new_york_ny_tiffany_walking:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

shock value doesn't work the same way nowadays with social media. everything comes and goes so fast 

the reason she's big is marketing and keeping a clean image

for those saying she can't sing or some of the things she's done only matter to white gays... girl this is literally a Britney Spears forum

she's basically what britney would be if she never went "edgy" on her third album. the edgier taylor went was LWYMMD and it's still a pretty clean aesthetic compared to Britney's, Madonna or Gaga's videos. Madonna and Gaga always went for the gay public and true shock value, while Britney had the young girls once too, but she lost them the minute parents stopped liking her. People would take their kids to the Onyx Hotel Tour and leave horrified. Taylor is 32 and she's still singing with her guitar and long coloured dresses, she keeps her younger audience growing while her core fan base at this point have been with her for many years. She has the best team in music business and she has work ethic and she can handle big levels of fame without letting pressure get to her. 

I honestly don't see her going down ever, she might end up challenging madonna on biggest record sales or at least a close second 

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, Whitney Houston said:

:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I take her as some ex-disney actor who tried to do some music.

I think that is pretty accurate because Selena never expressed any love or passion for music before that.

It just seemed like she wanted to get more popularity from music like her peers at the time like the Jonas Brothers,

Miley and Demi.

However tbh I didnt like her Disney music that much.

Miley was my fave during that era.

It wasn't until Selena left Disney and pursued a solo career,

that that's when I became a big fan.

Her Revival album to this day is one of my all time fave albums!

• Love 1
On 11/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, The One and Only said:

Nothing at all. Also, her success isn't as impressive as people make it out to be. Britney had a peak in an extremely misogynistic time, and Taylor has a peak during cancel and stan culture, which gives her praise from every side. Streaming made it possible for non-singles songs to chart on the Hot 100, and fans can easily cheat the system. Touring nowadays is huge, especially after COVID. Tay herself uses a billion tactics to sell as many copies as possible, like releasing multiple versions and having months-long pre-orders, among other strategies. She's the biggest nowadays, but let's think about it. There's literally no competition from other pop girls at all, everyone retired except her. She's truly not that special

This reply is so so bitter and tragic I can’t bahahahaha

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

We've already listed plenty of iconic moments. Agree to disagree. :messbye_britney_pink_leave_walking_running_bye_goodbye_away:

And they have been disputed as actually not iconic outside of her core fans. Nothing she has released will be glorified by the general public in decades to come. She will be remembered as highly successful, but I doubt specific videos and songs will be hailed as some of pop’s all-time greatest like many of Britney’s are and will be. 

8 hours ago, Richie said:

shock value doesn't work the same way nowadays with social media. everything comes and goes so fast 

the reason she's big is marketing and keeping a clean image

for those saying she can't sing or some of the things she's done only matter to white gays... girl this is literally a Britney Spears forum

she's basically what britney would be if she never went "edgy" on her third album. the edgier taylor went was LWYMMD and it's still a pretty clean aesthetic compared to Britney's, Madonna or Gaga's videos. Madonna and Gaga always went for the gay public and true shock value, while Britney had the young girls once too, but she lost them the minute parents stopped liking her. People would take their kids to the Onyx Hotel Tour and leave horrified. Taylor is 32 and she's still singing with her guitar and long coloured dresses, she keeps her younger audience growing while her core fan base at this point have been with her for many years. She has the best team in music business and she has work ethic and she can handle big levels of fame without letting pressure get to her. 

I honestly don't see her going down ever, she might end up challenging madonna on biggest record sales or at least a close second 

Shock value doesn’t work as well?

Orrrr has pop music just not been interesting and artists aren’t taking chances? And it’s not like Britney thrived on shock value alone…it was always backed up by indisputable and remarkable one-in-a-generation talent. Britney did it all. She was not a one trick pony. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jamesedward94 said:

Shock value doesn’t work as well?

Orrrr has pop music just not been interesting and artists aren’t taking chances? And it’s not like Britney thrived on shock value alone…it was always backed up by indisputable and remarkable one-in-a-generation talent. Britney did it all. She was not a one trick pony. 

Who cares though I’ve been a Britney fan for years. She’s iconic so is Taylor that’s my opinion you just disagree cos you’re not a fan so what. 

these types of posts really make me question if everyone in here is over 18 and have a job 

ded 

1 hour ago, Gewakefie said:

Who cares though I’ve been a Britney fan for years. She’s iconic so is Taylor that’s my opinion you just disagree cos you’re not a fan so what. 

these types of posts really make me question if everyone in here is over 18 and have a job 

ded 

I mean, you made a statement about Britney and I was just defending my side…this is literally just fun discussion about pop artists. People can disagree. I was bored. Not trying to upset you. I’m actually 29 and have a graduate degree lol

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block