Taylor Swift is the current biggest name in pop BUT does she actually have anything iconic?

9 minutes ago, Estrella said:

Well, I have read the entire thread, and the main question still has not been answered xd.

There is a latin producer, who has a youtube video that says "why music from the past ages more gracefully." This is like a summary of  the video 

"In the past, you used to hear a hit on the radio or see it on television. Since you didn't know who sang it, you had to call the radio to find out, and if you already knew, you could call again and request it. Once a song became a hit on the radio, you started hearing it everywhere until you bought the physical album or recorded it on cassette, and you would repeat that song until you couldn't anymore. The whole process consumed your money, time, and effort.

Today, the path to success for a song is completely different. Now, on Thursday, they play 15 seconds of the video, and on Friday, they release it. You watch the full video on YouTube, add it to your Spotify playlist, or download it to your phone, and you listen to it as many times as you want. We don't care anymore about what the radio does with that song. So, the release of new music has shifted from the artist to the audience, and just as its beginning was fast, so is its end. In three months, you don't want to hear it anymore because there are 23 new songs. If you listen to old songs,  they have become timeless. These are songs that are not produced as commonly now, so they don't burn out as quickly" 

This producer has make a valid point.

The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Freddy Mercury, Britney, etc , they all have iconic  songs, videos an presentation, they are part of pop culture.

If we are going to start calling legends an artist, just because they have sold out tours, then Bad Bunny  could be considered one, his last tour sell around 575 000 tickets in his america leg, for a latin artist that is impressive.The World's Hottest Tour was the third highest-grossing tour of 2022, with earnings of over $314 million dollars for the year's 43 shows and around 1.9 million ticket sales. It thus became the highest-grossing tour in history by a Latin American act. So is he iconic too?

I don´t think so, just because he was able to sell so many songs, albums or a sold out tour, that does not make an artist a legend or iconic, in my opinion.

Great points! I agree.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, jamesedward94 said:

There is no question that Taylor Swift has become the biggest name in pop…

However, aside from “infamous” moments such as her many famous boyfriends and the Kanye interruption, does she actually have any iconic performances or videos?

I genuinely cannot think of one…

Britney: 2000’s VMAS performances stripping off outfit, 2001 with the snake, her matching denim with Justin, the Madonna kiss performance, Baby One More Time song and video, Oops! song and video with red latex bodysuit, Toxic song and video, Slave video - the list just goes on and on.

I will NEVER understand the Taylor hype!!! 

AGREED! As much as I love Taylor, I could not think of anything memorable. I am NOT a Taylor fan and if she has done something iconic, I should have at least noticed it and reached me but none they all look the same. I think the only one I remember that is kinda iconic is her dress in speak now with a guitar. All others are being forced fed to us where it doesn't have that magic and all.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Whitney Houston said:

I can't remember any hit since 2015, so what peak do you mean now? :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

Either you're delusional or purposely playing dumb. "Folklore" was her 2nd peak, and "Midnights" + "The Eras Tour" were another peak. Y'know, it's definitely not like "Cruel Summer" – a b-side from 2019, mind you – is one of the biggest hits of this year. :brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired: Y'all will claim "Hold Me Closer" was a hit, but then downplay every achievement Taylor gets, attributing it to "just her rabid fans". It's getting old. Pack it up. :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

Edited by i sometimes sing live
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

:inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

Yeah, why should I be pressed or jealous for award what IS NOT REAL award? You don't know how Grammy awards works? There are 500 people who can judge what album will win Grammy and if you donate this show, you will win your Grammy.

I prefer everything where people can give their vote and singer will win real award.

Just now, Adriannn said:

Gorl. Her last hit was Blank Space or Shake It Off, then she ended with radio hits. I'm sorry, but europe doesn't know her since 2015 :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

3 minutes ago, i sometimes sing live said:

Either you're delusional or purposely playing dumb. "Folklore" was her 2nd peak, and "Midnights" + "The Eras Tour" were another peak. Y'know, it's definitely not like "Cruel Summer" – a b-side from 2019, mind you – is one of the biggest hits of this year. :brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired: Y'all will claim "Hold Me Closer" was a hit, but then downplay every achievement Taylor gets, attributing it to "just her rabid fans". It's getting old. Pack it up. :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

Gorl. These albums haven't any radio hits. She sold her last album well because she released 20 versions of the same album and delulus bought all of them. Everything what makes this thing so BIG is just die hard promo. But these albums are not radio friendly. Sorry, but in Europe we have good music taste and she flopped in Europe :byebitch_britney_wave_black_white_and_bw_sunglasses_bye_hi_walking_leaving:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, jamesedward94 said:

Do you understand the word “iconic”?

Not saying she hasn’t been successful bc obviously she has.

How are those music videos iconic?? What is memorable and stands out? There is nothing in those videos that people will remember in years time. I can barely remember much about them. 

With Britney we have the school-girl uniform, the Oops! catsuit, the Slave outfit and snake, the Toxic flight attendance….also all of the choreography. Things people STILL replicate and dress up as 20+ years later.

Taylor’s music videos are good but NOT iconic in my opinion…

Hon, Taylor herself is the icon.

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Whitney Houston said:

Gorl. These albums haven't any radio hits. She sold her last album well because she released 20 versions of the same album and delulus bought all of them. Everything what makes this thing so BIG is just die hard promo. But these albums are not radio friendly. Sorry, but in Europe we have good music taste and she flopped in Europe :byebitch_britney_wave_black_white_and_bw_sunglasses_bye_hi_walking_leaving:

Since when does radio represent what people are actually listening to? :eyes_britney_laugh: And even then, you're wrong - she's smashing it in the UK too. When it comes to other European countries, it's harder to find data, but she's still smashing it globally either way. :useeinthis_chew_eating_pink:

Edited by i sometimes sing live
8 minutes ago, Whitney Houston said:

Yeah, why should I be pressed or jealous for award what IS NOT REAL award? You don't know how Grammy awards works? There are 500 people who can judge what album will win Grammy and if you donate this show, you will win your Grammy.

I prefer everything where people can give their vote and singer will win real award.

Gorl. Her last hit was Blank Space or Shake It Off, then she ended with radio hits. I'm sorry, but europe doesn't know her since 2015 :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Poor Taylor she will sing to empy stadiums across Europe :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

I wish I could live in your time capsule... 2015 had legit bops 

Just now, i sometimes sing live said:

Since when does radio represent what people are actually listening to? :eyes_britney_laugh: And even then, you're wrong - she's smashing it in the UK too. When it comes to other European countries, it's harder to find data, but she's still smashing it globally. :useeinthis_chew_eating_pink:

I can't remember any hit between 2016-2023. Sorry.

I'm happy that she is successful with promoting herself and her business plan, but she is not an icon, or good singer :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block