Taylor Swift is the current biggest name in pop BUT does she actually have anything iconic?

13 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

She IS an icon, but doesn’t have iconic moments to me. Difference between being an icon and having iconic videos and performances that will be remembered decades later. She is talented for sure.   

It's a pointless discussion - we could list iconic moments, and you'd just say they're not iconic to you. As I said, it's much harder to create iconic moments these days because everyone lives in their own bubble of content. Considering what's left of megastardom and the pop music industry, these were for sure iconic moments:

• "Blank Space" music video
  • her (albeit cringy) girl squad and "Bad Blood" MV
  • "Reputation" era, snakes, "the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now..."
  • "22" MV (it's a pretty popular Halloween costume actually)
  • more recently, "Anti-Hero" and "it's me, hi..."

Just to name a few...

Edited by i sometimes sing live
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, i sometimes sing live said:

It's a pointless discussion - we could list iconic moments, and you'd just say they're not iconic to you. As I said, it's much harder to create iconic moments these days because everyone lives in their own bubble of content. Considering what's left of megastardom and the pop music industry, these were for sure iconic moments:

• "Reputation" era, snakes, "the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now"
  • "22" music video (it's a pretty popular Halloween costume actually)

Just to name a few...

These examples are soooo 2012/14/15 or for die-hard fans 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, i sometimes sing live said:

• "Reputation" era, snakes, "the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now..."
  • "22" MV (it's a pretty popular Halloween costume actually)

Just to name a few...

Those are all a big stretch honestly. Absolutely nothing about those are going to be long-term remembered in many years by anyone except major fans. Britney has many video and performance aspects that much of the general public as a whole knows about more than two decades later. Iconic moments can be appreciated by non-fans too and I would be able to recognize if Taylor had them even though I am not a fan.

Taylor’s legacy is based on her success. To be peak famous in today’s world is a completely different story than what it was in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. 

Also, you can say it’s pointless, but almost every other comment has had a different opinion. Obviously many people feel a different kind of way. 

Edited by jamesedward94
  • Love 2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, i sometimes sing live said:

You're acting like streaming/digital sales make getting Diamond certified albums easier, but that simply isn't the case. Taylor and Adele are literally the only modern artists to have Diamond certified albums, and that is super impressive:

Screenshot-2023-11-15-at-11-21-16-PM.png

If anything, it's just as, if not more, impressive considering people buy physical media so much less. And no one knows how Brit's career would've turned out, but what we do know is that Taylor has been huge for like 15 years now, and every time people said she'd had a "flop" era, she came back bigger than ever. She's literally had like 3 career peaks, and that is almost unprecedented unless you're one of the greats.

If you can use the "but times are different now" argument, I can do it too. Back then, everyone was glued to the same TV screens and radio stations, so, of course, it was easier to go down in history with iconic moments. These days, people can pick and choose what content they want to consume. If I were to look at the Billboard Hot 100, I'd probably recognize like 5 songs, which should tell you something - we all live in our own bubble, and there is no monoculture anymore. For this reason, it's borderline impossible to become a Britney/Madonna/Michael kind of megastar in 2023, so the fact alone that Taylor is one of the few to have come close speaks for itself. She is a legend whether you like it or not.

The fact that Taylor has been able to break through the noise of the 2010s and 2020s and still sell out stadiums is a very big deal. She also puts significant more effort into her art than britney ever did — from music video visuals to song writing to press to charity to executive producing to creative directing. The amount of work she puts into PR is next level, always making sure her fans are never embarrassed for showing their support. Compare Taylor’s social media and engagement to Britney’s. Oh wait, Britney had to turn her comments off because she doesn’t want to read what y’all are saying.   Again, I am not a taylor swift fan but you cannot discount her accomplishments by comparing them to britney’s. Britney hasn’t really had a “career” since they put her in X factor in 2012. Britney is left with a BRAND. Not a career. A very good brand that needs refurbishing. But a brand nonetheless. 

Edited by Talkdirty
  • Love 1
Just now, Talkdirty said:

The fact that Taylor has been able to break through the noise of the 2010s and 2020s and still sell out stadiums is a very big deal. She also puts significant more effort into her art than britney ever did — from music video visuals to song writing to press to charity to executive producing to creative directing. Again, I am not a taylor swift fan but you cannot discount her accomplishments by comparing them to britney’s. Britney hasn’t really had a “career” since they put her in X factor in 2012. Britney if left with a brand. A very good brand that needs refurbishing 

Do you not know Britney’s story and how controlled she has been???

When Britney tried to put effort and be an artist she was denied. They never let her do what she truly wanted. She wasn’t ever given the chance not once. When she did contribute - such as HER idea for the Baby video - it was very successful. She actually contributed to most of her video concepts. If Britney was given the full control Taylor has had then things would have been different.

Also, constantly bringing up Taylor being able to sell out stadiums has nothing to do with the topic of having iconic moments - that is only saying how successful she is. Not the point…

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

Those are all a big stretch honestly. Absolutely nothing about those are going to be long-term remembered in many years by anyone except major fans. Britney has many video and performance aspects that much of the general public as a whole knows about more than two decades later. 

Taylor’s legacy is based on her success. To be peak famous in today’s world is a completely different story than what it was in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. 

Also, you can say it’s pointless, but almost every other comment has had a different opinion. Obviously many people feel a different kind of way. 

This.

She is doing her "best" for to be popular, but there are not things what would make her memorable in future :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I'm glad that she is doing well, but there is no reason why should I become her fan, she had nothing to offer, there's nothing to catch her, she doesn't have what Britney had - naturalness, humanity and modesty anytime she went somewhere.

Taylor is like a factory that tries to make a recipe of everything that someone else already sells, and because of good promo, her products sell better than the competition and because her products have nice packaging, but in reality there is no originality. That's THE WHOLE POINT. 

She lost her originality by transitioning to a pop albums.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Talkdirty said:

The fact that Taylor has been able to break through the noise of the 2010s and 2020s and still sell out stadiums is a very big deal. She also puts significant more effort into her art than britney ever did — from music video visuals to song writing to press to charity to executive producing to creative directing. Again, I am not a taylor swift fan but you cannot discount her accomplishments by comparing them to britney’s. Britney hasn’t really had a “career” since they put her in X factor in 2012. Britney is left with a BRAND. Not a career. A very good brand that needs refurbishing. But a brand nonetheless. 

This comparison is unfair since we all know she was in those years under her father control. if we are going to compare Brit vs Taylor, I would do it from 1999- 2007. In that case, I would say even gimme more perfomance is more iconic that anything that Taylor has done. And this song has aged so well , even though it was released 16 years ago.That is what the op is asking, if Taylor has a song, perfomance or video that will be remembered in 10,15 , 20 years...

Edited by Estrella
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Whitney Houston said:

This.

She is doing her "best" for to be popular, but there are not things what would make her memorable in future :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I'm glad that she is doing well, but there is no reason why should I become her fan, she had nothing to offer, there's nothing to catch her, she doesn't have what Britney had - naturalness, humanity and modesty anytime she went somewhere.

Taylor is like a factory that tries to make a recipe of everything that someone else already sells, and because of good promo, her products sell better than the competition and because her products have nice packaging, but in reality there is no originality. That's THE WHOLE POINT. 

She lost her originality by transitioning to a pop albums.

She charts a lot bc she releases about 15 vinyl variations for everything. And it’s wayyy easier to consume music now. It just is. Britney had to put enormous amounts of effort into promo and radio tours and advertising to become huge. She HAD to have the iconic moments to make her stand the test of time and be memorable. There was no YouTube or music streaming or anything like that at all. I think it says way more about how big Britney was than trying to say Taylor has “broken through” during this era of streaming. Britney’s success impresses me way more.  

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, jamesedward94 said:

When Britney tried to put effort and be an artist she was denied. They never let her do what she truly wanted. She wasn’t ever given the chance not once. When she did contribute - such as HER idea for the Baby video - it was very successful. She actually contributed to most of her video concepts. If Britney was given the full control Taylor has had then things would have been different.

Also, constantly bringing up Taylor being able to sell out stadiums has nothing to do with the topic of having iconic moments - that is only saying how successful she is. Not the point…

I

3 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

Unfortunately Britney’s iconic moments are equivalent to Selena and Miley’s imo and not Taylor’s 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Talkdirty said:

I

Unfortunately Britney’s iconic moments are equivalent to Selena and Miley’s imo and not Taylor’s 

Britney danced with a LIVE PYTHON on stage and executed memorable, extremely tough choreography with absolute precision. 

Britney’s debut song reached number one in EVERY single country it was released and the video which was COMPLETELY her idea has often been voted one of the top of the 90’s and is one of the most famous and popular of all time. 

You’re going to compare her to Selena Gomez??? Be so for real and go study pop music a lot more bc that is absolute delusion. 

Edited by jamesedward94
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

She charts a lot bc she releases about 15 vinyl variations for everything. And it’s wayyy easier to consume music now. It just is. Britney had to put enormous amounts of effort into promo and radio tours and advertising to become huge. She HAD to have the iconic moments to make her stand the test of time and be memorable. There was no YouTube or music streaming or anything like that at all. I think it says way more about how big Britney was than trying to say Taylor has “broken through” during this era of streaming. Britney’s success impresses me way more.  

You’re right it’s just the same 6 fans who buy the same record over and over 😂 yet still  sells out 75,000 seats on average PER NIGHT. Britney’s residency attracted 900,000 attendees across multiple YEARS.

Taylor fills stadiums and will fill 5 million seats just this year. That’s about 4.1 million more butts in seats than Britney per year. So obviously many more people think she’s iconic 

Edited by Talkdirty
9 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

Agreed. Britney had everything more difficult, but she proved that she is worth for to be remembered decades later.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Talkdirty said:

You’re right it’s just the same 6 fans who buy the same record over and over 😂 yet still  sells out 75,000 seats on average PER NIGHT. Britney’s residency attracted 900,000 attendees across multiple YEARS.

Taylor fills stadiums and will fill 5 million seats just this year. That’s about 4.1 million more butts in seats than Britney per year

Once again, you CANNOT compare Taylor’s current success to Britney’s when we know Britney’s story and how controlled and abused she was. And also once again, this topic is about iconic moments, not success. It also DOES matter that Taylor releases so many variations of a single release. 15 vinyls of a project is a cash grab to guarantee higher sales and chart placement. Britney never did that and still had major success and miltiple number 1’s and diamond albums.

Edited by jamesedward94
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

Britney danced with a LIVE PYTHON on stage and executed memorable, extremely tough choreography with absolute precision. 

Britney’s debut song reached number one in EVERY single country it was released and the video which was COMPLETELY her idea has often been voted one of the top of the 90’s and is one of the most famous and popular of all time. 

You’re going to compare her to Selena Gomez??? Be so for real and go study pop music a lot more bc that is absolute delusion. 

Yes Selena Gomez and Britney Spears enjoyed the same level of popularity during the peaks of their respective careers. Selena was even dating the worlds biggest superstar Justin bieber. Did y’all forget the last 15 years lmao 

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block