Disney looking at a $200mill LOSS on Little Mermaid BOMB

5 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

We watched a different movie.

The underwater world looks both beautiful and real. The lighting (I'm a photographer) is subtle but powerful, exquisite really.

Design of characters? Done by literally a ream of professionals... The nerve... I understand not being someone's cup of tea, but it was very well done. Sebastian looks like a real crab, yet it's expressive! In the 3D he stood out so much more.

I counted the minutes when the scenes changed from water to land: almost exactly one hour before she gets her legs. Then one more hour until the end.

The relationship between Ariel and Eric? SUBLIME. So many things to point out (shared interests, both teaching each other, the little mermaid figure, the way she tells him her name, the interaction in the market, how they both love Max, how they help each other during Ursulas battle, etc)

Weaker points: the music was NOT cohesive for me, the orig. has impeccable music transitions, nonstop. This one misses the mark there a bit. The new songs are nice but they seem like they are from another movie. And I hated not seeing her mermaid to human transition by Triton or her in a wedding dress (though I understand this last one would have been unnecessary)

Were you a photographer... on this film??  That would explain why you're going so hard for it.  Haha I'm playin'.  

Separately, not related to this poster, I still haven't seen it, but I'm honestly not going to spend money on it because I hated the Beauty and the Beast remake,  I hated The Lion King remake... and it's really silly of people on here to be arguing against the people who don't want to see it because it looks dark because they "don't know how the industry works" and the "final film" looks different than the trailers... that's ridiculous.  The trailer is supposed to show you what's in the movie and what to expect from the movie.  You can't blame people for using common sense.  In addition, I think a lot of people got turned off to all of the news that was breaking from the film about the "bad new Awkwafina song" and the "autotuned new Halle song" and how the new songs don't hold a candle to the new one and the fact that they changed lyrics from the original songs, on top of Halle doing interviews where she came across as belittling to the original Ariel character.  People learned their lesson with The Lion King... yes it made a ton of money, but it tricked people.  I would say a majority of people I know who went to see that film criticized the hyper-realistic animals, and they all commented on how it removed emotion from them, and then the company went and did it again with this film.  No wonder they removed the Chef and Sebastian song scene, that entire chunk is carried by Sebastian's facial expressions.

50 minutes ago, Bigno said:

A month ago I said it looked like it was going to barely make it and someone told me it was going t be huge. There was no way

Definitely not going to be huge. It’s very easy to say that Disney expected $1billion - in line with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King. They all easily made $1bill + 

This movie will struggle to break even and will lose out. For anyone to say Disney will be happy with break even or even a small profit is serious levels of COPE. 

By all accounts it is a huge bomb and disappointment. It will reach nowhere near the $1bill mark - with Spiderverse, transformers and other summer movies coming out, there will be less Screens available for TLM as well. 

It’s not being hateful, it’s just the reality of the situation. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KrisJ said:

Definitely not going to be huge. It’s very easy to say that Disney expected $1billion - in line with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King. They all easily made $1bill + 

This movie will struggle to break even and will lose out. For anyone to say Disney will be happy with break even or even a small profit is serious levels of COPE. 

By all accounts it is a huge bomb and disappointment. It will reach nowhere near the $1bill mark - with Spiderverse, transformers and other summer movies coming out, there will be less Screens available for TLM as well. 

It’s not being hateful, it’s just the reality of the situation. 

Agreed 100%. 

I think if they are going to exploit old projects, theyno need to respect the original ideas and create new ones to allow fresh things.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:27 AM, Innate said:

Since Disney are so determined to “diversify” all their characters, perhaps we’ll get a Caucasian actress playing Tiana in the live action Princess And The Frog?

Can we pls get a Bangladeshy Mulan 😍😍

This movie clearly has NOT been made for kids but for the generations who watched the original, so it wouldn't make sense to compare its success to other huge films that are specifically targeted to younger audiences, so I assume Disney isn't expecting enormous numbers at the box office (now merchandise? off the shelves). That's definitely weird, almost like a gamble, and it shows a true love for the original material, which would be unusual in the movie business world, but I don't really know about that...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block