Disney looking at a $200mill LOSS on Little Mermaid BOMB

Just now, Innate said:

Since Disney are so determined to “diversify” all their characters, perhaps we’ll get a Caucasian actress playing Tiana in the live action Princess And The Frog?

that’s not how it works honey and you know it

Tiana being black is a defining trait of her character, her story was inspired by Leah Chase, a black woman 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

Hey here’s an idea Disney, instead of turning already existing characters into different races, how about creating new ones in different races? Just look at Princess and the Frog.

She’s a literal mermaid, in a Caribbean setting… 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, everybodygoesdown said:

Honestly, I went to see it opening day and I was so disappointed they axed the entire scene with the cook and the crab in the kitchen. SO disappointing.

This. I'd even put up with that boring Eric song on repeat for an hour just to watch this scene live (*cough* cg-LiVE *cough*). I was so hyped. This was my biggest gripe about the movie.

Simply they could have waited for the technology to be better before making it necessary to do a remake. The fins didn't look that great all the time. Underwater didn't look that great all the time. I'm still digesting what happened to Ursula at the end. I just wanted more LIVE for the live action.

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Well, That’s what happens when you don’t make new films with new stories and ideas. Everyone has seen the original animated, plus with all of these remakes, we all know the endings.. Revamp culture has killed cinema. 

No. It was because of racists and that lame #NotMyAriel movement. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, MasterMindz said:

I mean I did question Halle being Ariel because it is such a big role and we have yet to see her act before compared to other rumored POC actresses, but she killed it! :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

I thought she killed it too. Who was the other actresses though? I don't recall a shortlist.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, GlitterRain said:

No. It was because of racists and that lame #NotMyAriel movement. 

No its because they **** up the remakes. They ruined the Jungle book by leaving out the music.

They ruined Beauty and the beast by casting an actress that cant sing and by making cute or fun characters look weird

potts.jpg?quality=82&strip=allchip.jpg58c6b0a70beac520008b4a06?width=1000&form

They ruined the lion king by making it to realistic and not fun enough. I know they are going for realism but the lions have ZERO emotions on their face. Its TALKING LIONS why not make it kind of like a realism - cartoon mix? Also the new music sucks. 

embed-5d39b70fc0d95.jpg5c13fb2686a4aefb30b559db311c5c76-1565613

they ruined mulan by taking out the best character Mushu, taking away Mulans hard work and intelligence and making her magic instead and also by taking out the epic music. 

Even without the casting  they changed song lyrics and the storyline to make it more woke.  +They made it look dull and gloomy.  It would have been hated either way. 

Look at what it looks like vs what it could have been (i think this one is too bright but im sure you get my point)

ariel.0.jpg

FcqXqqTaEAAK9pk.png

its the small things.. they could have easily given her bright red hair isntead of whatever it is her haircolor is in that movie? Dirty ginger? Idk. Like everyone said. She is a mermaid. Her having bright red hair doesnt have to be realistic.

then look at her disgusting friends... they are cute in the cartoon. And the same problem as the Lion King. Lack of fun expressions. 

flounder-vs.jpg?q=65&auto=format&w=2270&mermaid_crab.png

I think people are just sick and tired of Disney ruining things we loved in our childhood. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, HearMeOnYourRadio said:

You do realize almost every Disney story is copied from something else?

These people are too up their own to realize lol. She’s a literal mermaid and all Disney stories are, as you said, based on something pre existing. 

Contractually, it’s something like every 10 years there has be some sort of remake, sequel, or direct spin off to a Disney story. This is why you are starting to see so many pop up remakes.

The thing I find to be weird is and so telling is, I don’t think there was any backlash when Emma Watson played Belle, a French woman in Beauty and the Beast. There’s somehow only an issue when it’s an POC taking on the role of this literal mystical figure. Look at all the weird closeted racists here talk about how going “woke” will make billion dollar companies go “broke”. 

also, we still should consider that this movie is once again, the #1 movie in the world lol. And instead of the people in this thread saying that perhaps Disney shouldn’t be hiring a person of colour to take on some traditionally animated white role, maybe ask yourselves why so many around the world have a universal resistance to blackness lol. It isn’t because it’s justified, it’s because it’s anti black lol. That might answer so many peoples questions here about why the film “bombed” compared to other Disney remakes internationally

Edited by Rik vs Exhale
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MasterMindz said:

Y'll act as if Disney doesn't own and produce almost the entire Top 10 highest-grossing movies every year :akii_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

But sure, let us keep hating on this remake because the casting and/or storyline does not suit your standards :gobaby_cheering_yes_yas_wow_proud:

6 hours ago, KrisJ said:
TIMCAST.COM

Disney is on track to lose millions from The Little Mermaid, despite a strong turnout in the US for Memorial Day weekend.

Disney spent roughly $390 million on producing and promoting the film.

Theaters take approximately half the ticket sales, meaning the film must hit nearly $800 million to break even.

“If the film manages to gross only $600 million globally, it will result in a loss of $200 million, and even achieving this level of domestic earnings still needs to be determined,” the report explained. “Therefore, domestically, the likelihood that it could gross $300 to $350 million seems overly optimistic.”

Another failure for Disney. Next up “Elemental” and the horrible “Indiana Jones Movie”

I don't see the point in even creating the film if they knew they had to generate 800 million to break even.

I enjoyed the film, i'm fed up of the negativity surrounding it, certainly the racial aspects.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ThatWasFun said:

This. I'd even put up with that boring Eric song on repeat for an hour just to watch this scene live (*cough* cg-LiVE *cough*). I was so hyped. This was my biggest gripe about the movie.

Simply they could have waited for the technology to be better before making it necessary to do a remake. The fins didn't look that great all the time. Underwater didn't look that great all the time. I'm still digesting what happened to Ursula at the end. I just wanted more LIVE for the live action.

It honestly didn’t hinder the movie but I get how you felt betrayed. It didn’t need to be in there for me cause I didn’t even realize until I saw someone mention it on Twitter.

5 hours ago, Rik vs Exhale said:

These people are too up their own to realize lol. She’s a literal mermaid and all Disney stories are, as you said, based on something pre existing. 

Contractually, it’s something like every 10 years there has be some sort of remake, sequel, or direct spin off to a Disney story. This is why you are starting to see so many pop up remakes.

The thing I find to be weird is and so telling is, I don’t think there was any backlash when Emma Watson played Belle, a French woman in Beauty and the Beast. There’s somehow only an issue when it’s an POC taking on the role of this literal mystical figure. Look at all the weird closeted racists here talk about how going “woke” will make billion dollar companies go “broke”. 

also, we still should consider that this movie is once again, the #1 movie in the world lol. And instead of the people in this thread saying that perhaps Disney shouldn’t be hiring a person of colour to take on some traditionally animated white role, maybe ask yourselves why so many around the world have a universal resistance to blackness lol. It isn’t because it’s justified, it’s because it’s anti black lol. That might answer so many peoples questions here about why the film “bombed” compared to other Disney remakes internationally

They almost have a gleeful response. It’s creepy. 

Edited by HearMeOnYourRadio
  • Love 1
Just now, HearMeOnYourRadio said:

I think adults need to get over that Disney is not specifically for them. 

No genuinely so true; the people complaining about a black actress being casted as a mermaid in a movie made for children and blaming it on the cheese factor need to realize they’re in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. We are not children and having this little mermaid exist doesn’t take away from the other one lol

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block