Is 'Butter' Underperforming?

BTS just released their disco-dance song 'Butter' AKA 'Dynamite's' cooler and elder brother which broke YouTube records for most viewed video within 24 hours in the platform. However, besides their YouTube and Spotify records, is the song underperforming for their usual standards? The song is out of the US Spotify Top 10, is only #55 in AM, Performing badly in Itunes charts, #26 in in pop airplay charts and doesn't seem to be having a great debut in the Billboard Hot 100 especially after the spontaneous ban of website sales. Compared to the explosive performance of their last hit 'Dynamite', it is doing quite okay despite being a song coming from the biggest boyband in the moment. So does it make u think the song is and will underperform? I really don't want it to because it's a really good song and hit material but its stats are not really that much in BTS favor.

Thoughts? Lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Haha 1

I know they have a huge female tween/teen fanbase but are they huge on an American mainstrean level? Like yes, they perform on award shows and have won awards but I feel like I don't see them talked about on entertainment shows, and rarely hear them on the radio. Maybe that's why Butter seems to be under performing; maybe they are generational?

Idk, I'm speaking as a millennial who's musical taste have outgrown new boybands, so I could be wrong with my reasoning.

• Love 1
  • Like 5
30 minutes ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

I know they have a huge female tween/teen fanbase but are they huge on an American mainstrean level? Like yes, they perform on award shows and have won awards but I feel like I don't see them talked about on entertainment shows, and rarely hear them on the radio. Maybe that's why Butter seems to be under performing; maybe they are generational?

Idk, I'm speaking as a millennial who's musical taste have outgrown new boybands, so I could be wrong with my reasoning.

I think their American following should be huge. Didn't their last album debut with 240k copies in the US? I think they should be doing about fine there considering they have a #1 and grammy-nominated song there as well...

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I don't really listen to them but the song is surprisingly catchy and I enjoy it so much better than most western stuff that is charting.

Seeing how other Asian artists like Hikaru Utada and BoA failed miserably with their US debut despite being big Pop stars puts BTS' success in perspective, even more. They're LITERALLY making history. I hope the success doesn't stop now, they're really in the way of opening the doors for other Korean and Japanese acts, but there's still so much work left to do! :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

• Love 3

"Butter" is a basic song, and it tries to be too American, and I can't remember it after a few listens. That should tell you something.

Also, K-Pop fans love when their faves are unapologetically themselves, and here they (all talented and charismatic individuals, each with their own personality) are all washed up.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Underperformed or not, I still love them and appreciate their music. They put efforts on every release. They debuted off as really a small group from a small company. And to see them at least have this successful career outside Korea, really makes me happy. If people think this single is underperformed, it still performing well in my perspective. Oh ya I’m gonna get my BTS Meal since it’s available today in my country 😍

• Love 4

I've never understood the hype behind BTS. I am proud of them as a Kpop listener from back in the day when we dreamed of groups making it in America, but their music just isn't what I go to the Kpop genre for. I get creeped out by the whole hairless soft boys winking and biting their lip thing also. It really sucks because being a fan of theirs is likely an incredible thing. They offer so much in terms of opportunity to stan when it comes to massive shows and merchandise, but I just can't seem to get into them in the way so many have. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators

Short answer: no.

Streaming is amazing outside America. 
the only reason it’s out of Top 10 was Olive came in too strong with her streaming numbers.

Radio is always gonna pick up / a null factor for BTS. It wasn’t strong for “Dynamite” either.

The song is already on track to be the biggest debut of 2021 in terms of chart points.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block