Is 'Butter' Underperforming?

19 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

@iAlwaysSingLive

Doesn't kpop do better in physical markets due to 8 different versions of the same album each with different content. 

I just realized that's why they're bigger on the physical front. 

@Blackout2006 can actually agree to this, in Asia streaming really isn't popular.  

Cds are still bigger there. In japan, digital markets suck compared to physical sales..

Streaming has actually taken off in Korea over the past year or two if I'm not mistaken. It's just Spotify that's not very popular there, as it only launched in Korea this year. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: In fact, girl groups tend to be the queens of digital sales and chart hits, whereas boy groups get crazy physical sales. Though, lately idol groups haven't really been charting well because of real-time chart reforms. CDs are only bought by fans of idol music, and as I said, idol music doesn't really chart that well anymore. Everything else is mostly consumed digitally. They also have really cool streaming plans that give you a set number (50/100/etc.) of free downloads every month if you pay extra. And by downloads I mean that you get to download the actual MP3 files alongside streaming. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: When it comes to CDs, 8 versions is a bit of an exaggeration. While there have been such cases, it's usually 2-5 versions, which is still a lot. The sales are even more impressive considering how small the population is. I mean, Korea's 50 million vs. the United States' 328 million - that's a huge difference, yet the biggest K-Pop groups outsell most Western artists when it comes to pure sales. These days, a lot of international fans order albums from Korea too, but still... The ratio depends on the group. In fact, one of the bigger boy groups in Korea just sold 2 million copies in 2 weeks. :gaga_shocked_stare_lady_dead_white_what_surprised: As for Japan, you're right. From what I've heard, they aren't big on streaming just yet, but they're definitely moving towards it. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

• Haha 1

I saw tons of BoTS on Twitter freaking out about the possibility of Olivia blocking the song next week and I legit cackled. A year ago the thought of anyone blocking BTS from the top spot would've been unthinkable - what happened? The sheer desperation from the BoTS claiming that Spotify sabotaged the song is hilarious. They always victimize themselves and blame everyone else when they don't get their way. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Stefani said:

I saw tons of BoTS on Twitter freaking out about the possibility of Olivia blocking the song next week and I legit cackled. A year ago the thought of anyone blocking BTS from the top spot would've been unthinkable - what happened? The sheer desperation from the BoTS claiming that Spotify sabotaged the song is hilarious. They always victimize themselves and blame everyone else when they don't get their way. 

You’re the bot, clown :fruit_fall_trip_ouch_dead:

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Content Curators
3 hours ago, Style. said:

You’re the bot, clown :fruit_fall_trip_ouch_dead:

Less than a year ago, "WAP" was also predicted to be really close to blocking "Dynamite". I wonder where that poster was when Bardi Gang and ARMY were having stan wars.

The final number of "Dynamite" vs "WAP" was not even close, but people couldn't have predicted website sales. This is the same case for "good 4 u" vs "Butter", except the fact that they did not release any remixes for "Butter" in the 1st week, so they're pretty confident.

• Like 1

I don't like how uncreative it is. It's basic, nothing special at all and the video is also boring compared to their earlier work. Blood, Sweet & Tears was art.

I don't get why they choose to go this route now and on top advertise unhealthy fast-food (MC Donald commercials)? :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

To me, it couldn't be more obvious how much their care about only making money these days. Disappointing.

4 hours ago, FreeAsMyHair said:

I don't like how uncreative it is. It's basic, nothing special at all and the video is also boring compared to their earlier work. Blood, Sweet & Tears was art.

I don't get why they choose to go this route now and on top advertise unhealthy fast-food (MC Donald commercials)? :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

To me, it couldn't be more obvious how much their care about only making money these days. Disappointing.

That's...a very weird thing to say, considering MOTS:7 the album came out just last year and Black Swan among others was anything but basic, safe or a money grab. Do I have a different understanding of time? BE, too, actually. Anything but safe, they didn't even care to promote it all that much past the title track (and only single) because that album was for the fans. Honestly I'm tired of people claiming BTS only cares about the money now. They release two songs in english and suddenly they're fakes. I need people to stop pretending they as asian artists would have a chance in the racist, xenophobic states with anything but english tracks when it comes to the grammys, too. They want it because it's the last thing left for them to achieve pretty much. They should be allowed that goal, and they're trying to win in the only way the west might allow them to. I'm not talking about the person I'm quoting here, btw, I'm just ranting now. MOTS:7 by all means should've been considered, seeing how it was the bestselling album in the US and had huge numbers everywhere else, too. But it wasn't for obvious reasons. 
BS&T is truly art but I'm tired of people bashing BTS for, at this point, literally everything.

• Love 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block