Is 'Butter' Underperforming?

• Content Curators
10 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I think their American following should be huge. Didn't their last album debut with 240k copies in the US? I think they should be doing about fine there considering they have a #1 and grammy-nominated song there as well...

Their last album cost $50 each. It’s important to note that.:drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

• Haha 4
11 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

I don't really listen to them but the song is surprisingly catchy and I enjoy it so much better than most western stuff that is charting.

Seeing how other Asian artists like Hikaru Utada and BoA failed miserably with their US debut despite being big Pop stars puts BTS' success in perspective, even more. They're LITERALLY making history. I hope the success doesn't stop now, they're really in the way of opening the doors for other Korean and Japanese acts, but there's still so much work left to do! :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

I also don't want them to burn out already! They really have worked hard for the position they are in :/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Invitation said:

Short answer: no.

Streaming is amazing outside America. 
the only reason it’s out of Top 10 was Olive came in too strong with her streaming numbers.

Radio is always gonna pick up / a null factor for BTS. It wasn’t strong for “Dynamite” either.

The song is already on track to be the biggest debut of 2021 in terms of chart points.

But didn't it just debut with 11 million streams only on Spotify?

38 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I also don't want them to burn out already! They really have worked hard for the position they are in :/

That's just K-Pop in general. Many groups who aren't even striving for international recognition work just as hard. I'm honestly surprised they managed to do better and better with each comeback because overexposure is a real thing.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, maki93 said:

I did not like the song, though I enjoyed Dynamite. 

This. Even thought I found Dynamite to be bland and generic, it was catchy. Butter is just garbage. Their fanbase is huge, no one can deny that. But Dynamite was able to get on the pop radio because it was generic and catchy enough to cross over to casual listeners. Personally I don't see Butter having the same success unless their fandom does nothing but request the song every second or their label pays for plays. 

(I prefer older BTS songs, so I don't hate BTS, I just hate their new mainstream sound). 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, AreYouReady said:

Yes, they wont last.

Bestie, they've been around for like 8 years already. People have been saying they won't last since 2017 when they first charted on the Hot 100. And even if they may slowly fizzle out in the US, they're still THE Kings of Asia by a mile. Like, there's literally 0 competition for them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

You can tell their success didn’t happen overnight at all! They are so deserving of this :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: I see many saying they are generic but they’re really not. The kind of pop they’re making, I don’t see any other men doing it. And on top of that, they DANCE. :neydedance_purple: I’m so done with the typical sappy singer songwriter with guitar and typical macho womanizer pseudo R&B singers. They’re fresh air :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Bestie, they've been around for like 8 years already. People have been saying they won't last since 2017 when they first charted on the Hot 100. And even if they may slowly fizzle out in the US, they're still THE Kings of Asia by a mile. Like, there's literally 0 competition for them.

Well, they prove me wrong many times, so maybe u are right. :bidengrin_point_smirk_joe:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

You can tell their success didn’t happen overnight at all! They are so deserving of this :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: I see many saying they are generic but they’re really not. The kind of pop they’re making, I don’t see any other men doing it. And on top of that, they DANCE. :neydedance_purple: I’m so done with the typical sappy singer songwriter with guitar and typical macho womanizer pseudo R&B singers. They’re fresh air :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

Omg I want to quote you 1000x because yes, I also so done with that typical sappy singer songwriter. I was growing up watching Britney Spears dancing like no tomorrow. So I can’t settle with anything above basic..

• Love 2

Not people in here calling them untalented, every era US people claim BTS will disappear soon enough and yet they only get bigger :clownery_makeup_meme: 

Butter broke all of Dynamite’s records so far, in my book that’s a success. Unfiltered streams were 20M, needless to say me and spotify aren’t the bestest of friends right now :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 4

Not a fan of those guys but the song just came out. Give it some time. Plus yea they are huge within their own right but people over a certain age don’t know who they are. That won’t change and they will eventually fade away. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Stefani said:

Literally everything that they do is underwhelming other than maybe their dancing, and even that is basically just rehashed NSYNC choreography but the tweens still fall for it because they don't know any better. BTS is so flavorless because of their lack of talent. Butter? More like cottage cheese. :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

If BTS doesn't have any talent than neither does Britney. I can admit that they aren't necessarily the best vocalists in the industry, but they can sing [live] and dance, they write and produce their own music, they conceptualize their albums themes and music videos among other things.

I get not being into kpop, but to say they lack talent when some western artists don't even do a fraction of what BTS does is a bit... sus. :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, IndoJabijin said:

If BTS doesn't have any talent than neither does Britney. I can admit that they aren't necessarily the best vocalists in the industry, but they can sing [live] and dance, they write and produce their own music, they conceptualize their albums themes and music videos among other things.

I get not being into kpop, but to say they lack talent when some western artists don't even do a fraction of what BTS does is a bit... sus. :clownery_makeup_meme:

You tell 'em! Don't you just love it when people have such a big hate-b***r that they can't even think rationally about the **** that comes out of their mouth? :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

• Love 2

@iAlwaysSingLive

Doesn't kpop do better in physical markets due to 8 different versions of the same album each with different content. 

I just realized that's why they're bigger on the physical front. 

@Blackout2006 can actually agree to this, in Asia streaming really isn't popular.  

Cds are still bigger there. In japan, digital markets suck compared to physical sales..

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block