Justice sends Justin Bieber a cease & desist for 'Justice'

• Leader

justice-vs-jb-justice-1616076353.jpg

A band titled Justice is demanding Justin Bieber cease and desist using the Justice logo on his forthcoming album and merch.

Justice believe Bieber use’s of the stylized crucifix logo, a “Mark” that they trademarked in France and the European Union, StereoGum reports.

“Your use of the Mark is illegal. You have not received permission from Justice to utilize the Mark,” the letter states. “Moreover, Bieber’s work is in no way affiliated with, supported by, or sponsored by Justice. Such use of the Mark is not only illegal, but likely to deceive and confuse consumers.”

The band says they received tons of messages from people asking if they were collaborating with Bieber.

“We have received emails from them where a member of [Bieber’s] management team specifically attached the Justice logo and asked to connect with the Justice logo designer,” Justice co-manager John Scholz adds to Rolling Stone. “They mentioned it was to work on a Justin Bieber project, they did not give us any details about it, no mention of an album called ‘Justice’ or a logo using the word ‘Justice.’”

“Not only was Bieber’s team actually aware of Justice’s use of the Mark, they sought to use the same artist to essentially duplicate it for the Album. This is textbook bad faith and willful infringement,” Justice’s cease-and-desist letter continues, arguing, “Through your illegal co-opting of the Mark, you are now subject to immediate legal action and damages including, but not limited to, punitive and injustice relief.”

The Biebs' new album is out tomorrow, so I imagine there won't be any ceasing or desisting. :bieber_justin_smirk_weird:

Related:

justice-logo.jpg.03f829ce8adf877bc8281ba20b886fb7.jpg

• Haha 1

OH SO THAT'S WHY IT RANG A BELL!!!

face flying GIF

I definitely remember (NOW haha!) this band, especially the logo because I always thought it was simple but clever with the cross as the T, and right in the middle (jus + ice), and that perspective makes it look grand too...

25 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

The Biebs' new album is out tomorrow, so I imagine there won't be any ceasing or desisting. :bieber_justin_smirk_weird:

Ouch... :s

• Love 1

I've worked in patents and trademarks and they do have a case here. Its not the cross thats trademarked or just the word "justice". Its the combination that produces the likeness of how their logo appears. I was assisting an attorney on a trademark case concerning Monster Energy drinks. i had to go through tons of trademarks that bare the word "monster" and if any of them had those claw marks, I'd flag those and they would be used in the suit.

103ac919f856fd68940f67d976327400.gif

It sounds petty but after all the fees you pay, time it takes for your logo to finally get trademarked and then you pay yearly fees, I think anyone would hate for a larger artist or anyone really, to come in and essentially steal what you paid to ensure would be yours. 

I mean just because most have never heard of Justice the group, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to own their name and logo. Remember when Kylie Jenner tried to get the rights to trademark "Kylie" away from Kylie Minogue? Minogues fans were so upset. Just because she's not extremely well known in America or with a younger fanbase in America, Jenner thought she had more rights to own "Kylie". I was extremely glad that the courts denied Jenner's request.

• Love 5
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ExXL said:

So because the T in justice is like a cross they claim it's their mark ?? Lollll I don't like bieber at all but these guys are delusional anyone could come up with such a basic logo † New York Tiffany GIF

But it's trademarked in France and Europe,  if they win the case,  if they sue, by European copyright laws, the album will be banned in Europe until he fixes the artwork for European audiences. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ExXL said:

So because the T in justice is like a cross they claim it's their mark ?? Lollll I don't like bieber at all but these guys are delusional anyone could come up with such a basic logo † New York Tiffany GIF

That is not a basic logo, otherwise you would not be having Justin Bieber's team going out of their way to hire the exact same artist that did it. Justice is an amazing band and if I were them I wouldn't want to be connected to Bieber either, they are DJs doing frech electronic music and they have a very well respected album (can't say they followed up with same success with the newer ones though). You can't just come and infringe on something that is trademarked and you are paying for. I can very possibly see they either settle this and earn a bunch of money below the table from Biebs, or otherwise Biebs will have to change the artwork for France (and any other country that is trademarked in)

You guys do know Justice.

They remixed Me Against the Music for Your queens first remix album, and sampled me against the Music in one of their songs, 

Original lyrics by the band, but given how it was way to similar to Madonna's outro on the 2003 track, they knew legally themselves,  it's too similar, everybody gets legal credit. 

I believe I shared that track in a post here. 

• Love 3
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, ExXL said:

It's called copyright and protection of intellectual property.

Their branding use the t as a crucifix, which was registered to them, and team bieber's actually tried to copy it.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block