Why do people say Bionic by Xtina was ahead of its time?

13 hours ago, Mister_Secret_X said:

Y‘all are blasphemic and definitely born after 2010 to not remember these godly statements: 

I honestly don't think anyone should be allowed to call their own work a masterpiece.

That level of ego is really off putting and is really responsible for a lot of the backlash she got.

That and the Gaga comments she made that Perez Hilton really ran with.

• Love 2

Honestly I really do love this album, but the tracklist was just so bloated and weighed the album down.

If she had just kept her mouth shut, kept her ego in check, and just let her work speak for itself it would have performed much better.

She should have widdled the tracklist down to this...

1. Bionic
  2. Not Myself Tonight
  3. Glam
  4. Vanity
  5. Woohoo
  6. Desnudate
  7. Elastic Love
  8. Monday Morning
  9. My Girls
  10. I Hate Boys
  11. Stronger Than Ever
  12. You Lost Me
  13. Birds Of Prey

I think she could have got more than two singles out if the era had been so filled with backlash due to her attitude.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, ivobb said:

I have to kindly disagree! Bionic was the album that made me a Christina fan, I’m not like a crazy fan, but that album is her best even better than Stripped for me. The ballads are beautiful, the production is top notch, and there’s not one album like that in the pop world. Not my fault you’re sleeping on it 😴 

I agree! Bionic is a full consistent body of work, like Back to Basics was in 2006. Even tho Lotus, for example, had more « hits » like Just a Fool, Your Body, Army of Me and Let There Be Love, the whole album seems more like a bunch of random songs put together just for a release!

18 minutes ago, Britney'sBish said:

Honestly I really do love this album, but the tracklist was just so bloated and weighed the album down.

If she had just kept her mouth shut, kept her ego in check, and just let her work speak for itself it would have performed much better.

She should have widdled the tracklist down to this...

1. Bionic
  2. Not Myself Tonight
  3. Glam
  4. Vanity
  5. Woohoo
  6. Desnudate
  7. Elastic Love
  8. Monday Morning
  9. My Girls
  10. I Hate Boys
  11. Stronger Than Ever
  12. You Lost Me
  13. Birds Of Prey

I think she could have got more than two singles out if the era had been so filled with backlash due to her attitude.

You Lost Me and Birds of Prey are ones of my favourite songs from her! And for me, the performance of an album doesn’t impact its quality! But I have to admit that I would have loved if she released a video for BoP...

• Love 1

It was a very divisive album which came right after the critically acclaimed Back 2 Basics. The theme she went for was very different, too different for her own good. 

ot was okay when she experimented with the futuristic theme a year before when she released her greatest hits, but it didn’t work in her favor when the bionic era centered around it. It drew comparisons with Lady Gaga (though LG wig + sunglasses look was not original since Gwen Stefani had done it a few years prior with The Sweet Escape).

on top of this, there was drama behind the scenes on which songs should make it to the album. From what I gather, the original sound of Bionic was like the bonus track Birds or Prey.

I’ve never understood this either. It came out post blackout and the fame.... electro dance music was already huge, abs that’s what about half of the album was... the other half was definitely not innovative. I do think Birds of Prey sounds like a song that could have come out later when chill dance music was popular. But that’s about it. And I’m not hating on the album, I like it. It’s just not ahead of it’s time by any means. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I’ve never understood this either. It came out post blackout and the fame.... electro dance music was already huge, abs that’s what about half of the album was... the other half was definitely not innovative. I do think Birds of Prey sounds like a song that could have come out later when chill dance music was popular. But that’s about it. And I’m not hating on the album, I like it. It’s just not ahead of it’s time by any means. 

That's what I was about to say!!

I also know Bionic, I like the album. But let's not act like it was a shockwave in pop music. It wasn't. Also you can see a lot of inspiration from Lady Gaga so it's definitely not innovative :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

• Like 2
On 3/9/2021 at 1:09 PM, dr34mc0r3 said:

most mainstream music from 2008-2011 aged like milk in my opinion... i just can't listen to any dancepop from 2008-2011 anymore.

I think one of the easiest ways for an artist to know if their music will sound dated is to take a listen to what else is coming out at the same time and try to avoid copying too many trends. If it's borrowing a lot of other currently-popular elements from other songs, there's a chance that trend will wear itself out and as a result will forever be seen as a sound of the year it was released in.

Not you reading Kanye and Beyonce for filth. Single Ladies was supposed to be "one of the best videos of all time." You really dragged 2008 :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, InTheZone4Life said:

Not you reading Kanye and Beyonce for filth. Single Ladies was supposed to be "one of the best videos of all time." You really dragged 2008 :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

I never got into Single Ladies i'm not sure why...I just think the song is quite boring when u don't watch the video. I do like the live performances tho, but the song is nothing special...  :gum_britney_chewing_chomping_2006_2007_Red:

People act like it's the best Beyoncé song ever lol, but in my opinion she has way better songs, like for example "Me, Myself and I"

Tbh even Taylor's Fearless album aged better than Single Ladies. That's what happens when you don't try to follow trends. The music will stay timeless.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, dr34mc0r3 said:

I never got into Single Ladies i'm not sure why...I just think the song is quite boring when u don't watch the video. I do like the live performances tho, but the song is nothing special...  :gum_britney_chewing_chomping_2006_2007_Red:

People act like it's the best Beyoncé song ever lol, but in my opinion she has way better songs, like for example "Me, Myself and I"

Tbh even Taylor's Fearless album aged better than Single Ladies. That's what happens when you don't try to follow trends. The music will stay timeless.

The taste jumped out! :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

• Love 1
On 3/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Britney has always and will always be my number one, but Xtina was once my Dua of today. I loved her and she’s the only other artist whose career I followed religiously growing up. I bought her albums on release dates and everyone knew that Britney and Christina were my girls. Imagine my shock at the 2003 VMAs. BUT Bionic is where she lost me. I still checked for new music and then Lotus really lost me. I have a few favorites from those albums, but I still haven’t listened to an album in full from her since Back to Basics :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

Couldn’t have said it better!! 💯

• Love 1

Can we all agree she at least got the album cover right? :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

I totally respect that people love the album and won't knock those opinions.  For me it felt like a combination of hopping on the electropop trend (a la Blackout, the Fame, etc.) and trying too hard to be edgy, which automatically makes it less edgy to me.  It doesn't showcase her voice, which always seems like a missed opportunity.  It's also looong.  I hardly ever listen to it the whole way through in one sitting.

I think the ArtPop comparisons are right on.  Both albums feel a bit messy to me.  Maybe overly ambitious?  Also some element of buying into their own hype at the moment.

But! I will always jam to Not Myself Tonight!  And stan Birds of Prey! :bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block