This Day in Pop: Britney Spears receives her first Grammy in 2005 (February, 13)

On 2/13/2021 at 2:45 PM, rennen said:

When Mariah Carey only has 4 Grammys, and there was a 15 year gap between her 1st and 2nd, you know they mean ****.

Mariah has 5 Grammys. As a child I always thought Mariah had the most Grammys ever because her music (especially before 1997) literally sounds like the Grammys. So the fact that she won 2 in that time period means utter sh-t.

• Like 2

The reason why Mariah Carey didn't win awards during her prime was basically because her husband was hated, So due to her association with Tommy Motorola both personally and professionally,  I think Mariah Carey got also the backlash as they took it personal and politically just because they hated Tommy. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I think if it had been released by any other artist, it would have swept the Grammys - or at LEAST gotten a Record of the Year nod. Britney had always been a “third rail” so to speak for critics. No one dared give her positive reviews because it would damage their own credibility.

I have faith that time will be good to Britney’s work and we’ll all acknowledge how underappreciated and underrated her music and influence was at the time. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

I have faith that time will be good to Britney’s work and we’ll all acknowledge how underappreciated and underrated her music and influence was at the time. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I think so too. Britney has released standard after musical standard throughout her entire career. She always sounds fresh or ahead of the curve with her sound. She really doesn’t get enough credit as an artist  

And most of her songs still sound pretty good and of recent musical tastes. I’d say really only BOMT sounds a bit dated. And that’s fair to say because it’s her oldest work. But it’s a classic..

She really came out at the perfect time, pop music was reinventing itself and she took it in a completely new direction. Britney has a certain contemporary timelessness to her artistry and I think that will serve her l legacy very well in the future. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Tear the floor up up said:

It's because the cut-off date for the '04 Grammys was September 30, 2003. As Toxic was released after this it was eligible for '05 Grammys instead.

Also Toxic was technically released as a single in 2004.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 11:14 AM, umr3000 said:

That was a long overdue Grammy Award. It’s crazy to think in over 22 years she has only won one of these considering the contribution she has made to popular music and how influential it has been. 

not to mention the VMAs...
I mean her first vma was in 2008 and for PIece of me... rly POM?! and the for womanizer (which is right) and then one for Till the world ends (which is also right) but to think that she did win any for toxic oops and baby...

8 hours ago, mfanbs said:

not to mention the VMAs...
I mean her first vma was in 2008 and for PIece of me... rly POM?! and the for womanizer (which is right) and then one for Till the world ends (which is also right) but to think that she did win any for toxic oops and baby...

...slave, stronger, lucky, crazy, inagnyaw, sometimes, overprotected, ilrnr, boys, the list continues... :disappointed_thinking_oh_okay_glasses:

• Like 1