Is Britney On MJ's level?

Justney

3 hours ago, Goten21 said:

Just because something is written for you doesn’t mean it doesn’t go hand in hand with your personal vision. I genuinely believe Britney was expressing herself through music and concepts, and there is proof of that. Unfortunately it’s all a bit he said she said so people often don’t give Britney where it’s due, but the evidence is pretty stacked. Even though a lot was done for her, she still pushed the singles and concepts that ended up making her the pop icon she is today.

it’s when her vision stopped going hand in hand with what her team wanted that she had to rebel. She ended up removing everyone from her team and released her magnum opus, Blackout. She’s an artist through and through.

BOMT was the success it was thanks to a team effort that Britney played a big part in. That goes for Oops too. That goes for Britney’s tours too and In The Zone. It’s like saying someone didn’t design their house because they didn’t make all the items. She still picked them to be in their house.

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve credit where credit is due. I didn't say that she has 0 input into her career. She definitely did. But the original question was if Britney and MJ are on the same level and the answer is no bc of the reasons I listed. There's no doubt about that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PickleSpears said:

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve credit where credit is due. I didn't say that she has 0 input into her career. She definitely did. But the original question was if Britney and MJ are on the same level and the answer is no bc of the reasons I listed. There's no doubt about that.

Lol nah you opened another can if worms with your original wording but if you don't wanna discuss about that it's cool

I don't think she's on MJ's level either.

4 hours ago, Easy There said:

Unfortunately Britney doesn't have that meaningful anthem that stands for something.

4 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I think @Hooked-On-Knee could clarify this? :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Excuse me. Listen to the Oops!...I Did It Again album and come back. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Stonger, Lucky, Don't Go Knockin' On My Door, What U See (Is What U Get), Girl in the Mirror fit this role perfectly. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

And so do certain tracks from the Britney (2001) album and the outtakes from that era. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

4 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Excuse me. Listen to the Oops!...I Did It Again album and come back. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Stonger, Lucky, Don't Go Knockin' On My Door, What U See (Is What U Get), Girl in the Mirror fit this role perfectly. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

And so do certain tracks from the Britney (2001) album and the outtakes from that era. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Gurl 

7S8CKQx.gif

Ok ok I see a lot of warranted no's, and I definitely agree.  I think my original question was too general and vague. 

Britney doesnt touch Michael Jackson's level, but I think in the first years of her career she was really close as a phenomenon,  one which I've only seen Beiber get so close to being similar as Britney. And even then in a lot of ways Justin has surpassed her with sustainability and ever evolving maturity in his songs and sound--unlike Britney who has stayed stuck to ***/party type songs since 2007. 

But undeniably Britney made a deep mark on the music industry so quickly after her debut,  that she was soon revered as princess of pop. I know they hand that title out like candy now but THERE is a reason why she was the only princess of pop next to michael and madonna and (sometimes included JT as prince). That's where I can't explain to my brother why she was so special she could reach MJ like royalty in the pop pyramid. 

Anyone can look at her career now and laugh and say she's a has-been or she "went crazy and burned her career" or whatever the gp thinks after looking at her albums past Blackout and the charts or whatever but before all of that Britney was a world wide explosion.  That's what I meant.  She WAS mesmerizing to watch.  Everybody parodied her everywhere like go back to early 2000s shows like icarly or fairly odd parents they all had a Britney character. She was in the news daily,  on magazine covers weekly and everyone had a strong opinion of her.  She broke records at the time didn't she?

That's more of what I was talking about.  MJ is definitely next level and will be long remembered whereas  Britney sadly has been on her way to being forgotten in a long list of other pop stars since her break down. But those magic prime years I really really think she was close because she was a huge deal,  not because of his talent vs her talent. My brother didn't get to see her when she was a huge deal so he thinks she was no different than maybe Ariana Grande or Billie Eilish in terms of her prime career.  But there's a huge difference.  I just wasnt sure how to express that to him.

8 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

13 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

I don't think she's "just" a puppet but what I meant is that some artists are heavily involved with their art - writing and producing music, directing and editing their own videos, etc. and Britney's never been like that. She co-writes some of her music but it's a very small percentage. For the most part, her team picks her songs and directors, etc. and she just shows up and does it. Yes, since 2008 that was prob bc of the c-ship, but that's still almost 12 years of her career. Plus she did it a lot before the c-ship too.

Obviously I love Britney and I respect it for what it is, but she's not really an "artist" and Michael Jackson definitely was.

Firstly, I have to agree that she's not on MJ's level but 'Everytime' alone proves that she's an artist regardless of what she's done before and after.

And It's not just 'one song' that she's composed...

(1:50)

It's one HIT SONG... By contrast Beyonce Knowles has written or composed 0 hit songs in her entire career.

Truth be told, she really could have continued to evolve her artistry if she left her label to start her own label and leave the spotlight back in 2004-2005.

10 hours ago, zxcvb said:

Firstly, I have to agree that she's not on MJ's level but 'Everytime' alone proves that she's an artist regardless of what she's done before and after.

And It's not just 'one song' that she's composed...

(1:50)

It's one HIT SONG... By contrast Beyonce Knowles has written or composed 0 hit songs in her entire career.

Truth be told, she really could have continued to evolve her artistry if she left her label to start her own label and leave the spotlight back in 2004-2005.

Go back and read what I said though. This conversation is about Michael Jackson vs. Britney Spears, not Beyonce. It's awesome that Britney has composed a couple of songs but MJ composed countless. Who contributed to pop music more? It's no secret that MJ was more of an artist than Britney Spears. It's not even a question.

And sure maybe Britney would have continued to evolve her artistry around 2004-2005 but she didn't.

7 hours ago, Richie said:

I won't say on his level because nobody is, just like someone said above. I do think tho, that, as solo popstars, the ranking goes Michael, Madonna and then Britney. I'd say that is pretty much a fact nowadays. 

I disagree that Britney is even second. Madonna would be second. She did so much for pop music and opened the door for so many women in pop and women's ***uality. Almost every girl in pop music was inspired by Madonna. 

• 1 month later...

I like Britney too much, I think even when she hasn't the best voice, and dancing, she has that mystical touch that only the greatest have.

But MJ was something out of the planet. He had unique achievements or eccentricities (yeah, all genius are eccentric, Einstein, Beethoven, etc.), which makes him not only a big artist, but also a legend, an icon. Like being the Beatles catalog owner, being more known and respected than popes, presidents, and all across the globe, all those amazing concerts, I have been on one on the late 90s, ad was just amazing, something no one can repeat.

I think you should stop arguing about that, and enjoy when they both performed The Way You Make Me Feel.

Just for sure they have something in common, and is the sad part, media broke them (I'm still waiting the solid evidence which many people talks about to condemn him [sarcasm]), really wish Britney can retake her career, she need to focus on her, and no doubt she can came back with something marvelous. And they did the same mistake, have that s**t of robson in their lives.

13 hours ago, VictorLara said:

I like Britney too much, I think even when she hasn't the best voice, and dancing, she has that mystical touch that only the greatest have.

But MJ was something out of the planet. He had unique achievements or eccentricities (yeah, all genius are eccentric, Einstein, Beethoven, etc.), which makes him not only a big artist, but also a legend, an icon. Like being the Beatles catalog owner, being more known and respected than popes, presidents, and all across the globe, all those amazing concerts, I have been on one on the late 90s, ad was just amazing, something no one can repeat.

I think you should stop arguing about that, and enjoy when they both performed The Way You Make Me Feel.

Just for sure they have something in common, and is the sad part, media broke them (I'm still waiting the solid evidence which many people talks about to condemn him [sarcasm]), really wish Britney can retake her career, she need to focus on her, and no doubt she can came back with something marvelous. And they did the same mistake, have that s**t of robson in their lives.

We weren't able to save MJ from his demise, so the least we can do is save Britney from hers.

On 12/13/2020 at 5:29 PM, Easy There said:

Unfortunately Britney doesn't have that meaningful anthem that stands for something.

She lowkey does and they're called Gimme More and Piece Of Me. Quintessential to our current media culture, showing how vapid and overexposed celebrities had become at some point and how the media will tear people down for no reason. 

She is my Michael Jackson and Madonna. She is the only one of her peers to become an icon. I don't have a very high opinion of Michael Jackson because of his alleged ***ual child abuse and he wasn't very popular during my childhood. She's had hit after hit iconic looks and performances, countless magazine covers especially that Rollingstone cover...she's had so many cultural moments and success over 20+ years in this business which is unheard of. 

Archived