Is Britney On MJ's level?

Justney

It's going to sound delusional. But I'm going to say yes. I wouldn't even put Madonna in MJ's level, but I would put Britney... and I'm going to elaborate. 

MJ was the whole artist: composer, singer, performer, pop culture icon and smart. He was passionate for music and dance, his soul was there for the art. His life could be a living hell but his passion was always on the stage. His songs are known and praised by every age-rage people. His performances inspired generations of artists until today, he will always be remembered and he deserves it. Even, when he got a lot of hype tho. He was the first pop artist inspiration (that kind of inspiration) creating his own art and his impact changed the game. Michael got the stage presence.

Britney arrived to the industry and nobody could believe she would impact the pop culture / generations in the way she did. Britney was designed to be a good but momentaneous product. However, Britney herself (the Britney essence) was everything the industry and people needed. Even, if it's not admited. Britney was an impact / inspiration for girls and women who looked up at her and changed her mind about expressing theirselves. Britney was an inspiration for people who needed to know they could express their feelings, mind and se*x*uality. Britney empowered us, even if you don't know it yet. I'm sure it will be recognized in the future. She's a great composer, her voice was on point (even if the industry destroyed part of it), she got the stage presence, her performances WERE EVERYTHING for that shocked generation watching MTV and its TOP 20 waiting to see new Britney Spears' music video. But, one of the most important things, Britney got the passion for music, dance and art. She's an artist, like MJ was. She was there for the music, for the dance... Britney was ART and she still is. The sad part is that she was never free to express all her art, and she still fights to express herself. That's kind of inspiring as well.

Britney's peak was short because she was not able to express herself nor grow as an artist freely. She got frustrated with her team and the industry itself, like Michael did. Both tried to fight the industry and got rebelled against it. Sadly, they both failed in different, yet similar ways. Media destroyed them but their fanbase was/is strong enough to support them throught years and generations. They both could still sell millions of albums and singles, and they both could be considered as legends. In Britney's case... living legend. Worst enemy to develop Britney as the legend she is? Her team and 'enviroment'.For me, the most important thing in both cases, MJ and Britney were inspirations and they both were in love with the art they created. I've not found other artists in that level... in that kind of level of love for the art. They made art. They made magic all over the stage and they made us feel with their passion.

Spoiler

Different artists, skills... but same fire in the eyes.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I really love Britney obviously, she's my fave singer, but Michael Jackson was innovative and committed to his craft and really had an artistry that Britney never really had. He was so involved with every aspect of his career and Britney is more of a "puppet" (I hate saying that but it's true). She kind of does what she's told and just shows up. I know you can argue that she's in a c-ship but she did that a lot before the c-ship and it all plays into her artistry and career as a whole.

I think the main difference between them  is that MJ always standed for smth e.g.  his songs black and white, they don't care about us, earth song. Those songs really had a lot of impact not only for his fans but the whole world.

And i am not trying to diminish Britney but she always said she is an entertainer. And it means she wanted ppl  to feel good after her music not THINK about certain important topics of a current situations in a world or smth else. She was with other artists  singing on what's going on but i just wish she would be more involved  with such projects. Or even express herself like P!nk who has an opinion and not afraid of telling it. Ofc it has a lot to do with her being under cship. I think with less restraints   she could be much more successfull and respected for her artistry

20 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

(even who thinks she is talentless)   

With advent of the internet (taking both the good and the bad), one can't think she's talentless because she is a better songwriter than Beyonce, who is the 'standard' of the industry...

(1:50)

20 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

(Britney even in her prime was criticized for he dancing abilities.. It sounds crazy but gp dragged her hard)

And with the advent of the internet, we also cannot doubt Britney's dancing abilities either...

Janet Jackson vs Britney Spears Back-Handspring

tumblr_p8i1n7WDYp1qdcxoeo1_500.gif

tumblr_m5wi1cnrJi1qc5i9so1_250.gif

Link to full performance:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0wLLoXtN86U

Sorry, but while Janet is a greatly skilled choreographed dancer (and better than Britney, and also influencing Britney), this has to be inserted into the equation.

Janet Jackson never did the handspring/flip in Nasty or Pleasure Principle videos.  When given the chance to do the stunt live on stage at the 1987 Grammys, she couldn't do it.  And she was never even a trained gymnast as a child.

Britney has more than proved herself as an ALL-AROUND dancer.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:29 AM, MathCarmignani said:

I think Brit is totally legendary and stuff, but I really don't think she is at MJs level tbh. The first half of her career put her on the right path for her to become a MJ type of legend, but her post c-ship relevance, sales, chart positions and overall image in the eyes of the gp (specially the younger generation) kinda drove her off this level of legacy and longevity of impact MJ and even Madonna have left in the entertainment industry.

Not saying she isn't a freaking legend, but not on the same level, sadly...

This. 

17 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

No. I really love Britney obviously, she's my fave singer, but Michael Jackson was innovative and committed to his craft and really had an artistry that Britney never really had. He was so involved with every aspect of his career and Britney is more of a "puppet" (I hate saying that but it's true). She kind of does what she's told and just shows up. I know you can argue that she's in a c-ship but she did that a lot before the c-ship and it all plays into her artistry and career as a whole.

False. I’m glad you’re bringing it up, but there’s enough proof that Britney was not a puppet. 

1 hour ago, Goten21 said:

False. I’m glad you’re bringing it up, but there’s enough proof that Britney was not a puppet. 

I don't think she's "just" a puppet but what I meant is that some artists are heavily involved with their art - writing and producing music, directing and editing their own videos, etc. and Britney's never been like that. She co-writes some of her music but it's a very small percentage. For the most part, her team picks her songs and directors, etc. and she just shows up and does it. Yes, since 2008 that was prob bc of the c-ship, but that's still almost 12 years of her career. Plus she did it a lot before the c-ship too.

Obviously I love Britney and I respect it for what it is, but she's not really an "artist" and Michael Jackson definitely was.

1 hour ago, PickleSpears said:

I don't think she's "just" a puppet but what I meant is that some artists are heavily involved with their art - writing and producing music, directing and editing their own videos, etc. and Britney's never been like that. She co-writes some of her music but it's a very small percentage. For the most part, her team picks her songs and directors, etc. and she just shows up and does it. Yes, since 2008 that was prob bc of the c-ship, but that's still almost 12 years of her career. Plus she did it a lot before the c-ship too.

Obviously I love Britney and I respect it for what it is, but she's not really an "artist" and Michael Jackson definitely was.

Just because something is written for you doesn’t mean it doesn’t go hand in hand with your personal vision. I genuinely believe Britney was expressing herself through music and concepts, and there is proof of that. Unfortunately it’s all a bit he said she said so people often don’t give Britney where it’s due, but the evidence is pretty stacked. Even though a lot was done for her, she still pushed the singles and concepts that ended up making her the pop icon she is today.

it’s when her vision stopped going hand in hand with what her team wanted that she had to rebel. She ended up removing everyone from her team and released her magnum opus, Blackout. She’s an artist through and through.

BOMT was the success it was thanks to a team effort that Britney played a big part in. That goes for Oops too. That goes for Britney’s tours too and In The Zone. It’s like saying someone didn’t design their house because they didn’t make all the items. She still picked them to be in their house.

Maybe not on MJs level sadly. 

But Godney was my generations version of him if you get what I'm saying. From the time I was 9 till the time I turned about 20, she was THE topic and THE artist  - even if things weren't flattering and people were cruel. I remember watching TMZ (pls don't come for me, I was a teenager) and see topics mostly about her. Her music was everywhere. 

I also think she was the last of the line of pop icons of this nature with the obsession. 

I'd love to see her climb back up one day and see what she can do again. One can hope. 

21 hours ago, Justney said:

I think because she lost her rights to have what she wanted,  and it was already an issue with her label before that. I think it also drained her passion and energy,  her dancing skills went down either from loss of motivation and fire or medications... likely both. A lot of factors contribute to her tarnished reputation  career wise sadly. 

THIS!!!☝️

And to simply answer the OP’s question in my own words, the factual answer is NO. 

9 hours ago, zenden said:

I think the main difference between them  is that MJ always standed for smth e.g.  his songs black and white, they don't care about us, earth song. Those songs really had a lot of impact not only for his fans but the whole world.

And i am not trying to diminish Britney but she always said she is an entertainer. And it means she wanted ppl  to feel good after her music not THINK about certain important topics of a current situations in a world or smth else. She was with other artists  singing on what's going on but i just wish she would be more involved  with such projects. Or even express herself like P!nk who has an opinion and not afraid of telling it. Ofc it has a lot to do with her being under cship. I think with less restraints   she could be much more successfull and respected for her artistry

Unfortunately Britney doesn't have that meaningful anthem that stands for something.

I respect Britney with all my heart but they are different levels.

MJ is untouchable. His unique style, voice, presence. 

People have chills watching 40, 30 years old videos of Michael. With deep meaning. With story. This is the reason also GP respect Michael. How many singers have got songs like Earth song, They don´t care about us and not just about party and fun? 

Music wise I would put Madonna second (not counting groups like Beatles, Queen) but overall with her own story, Britney is second under Michael 

Archived