Shawn Mendes misgendered Sam Smith and the Internet is outraged | Update: Shawn apologizes

Jordan Miller

On 12/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I''m talking about situations in which you don't even know the person/seen them/interacted with them but they've done something that you are bringing to attention. :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

If I have no indication or clue of whether THEY are male or female then I would call that person I don't know, THEM. However, if I have a visual representation of who THEY are, then I adjust and switch to the gender norms that are in place. 

Using "They/Them" has NOTHING to do with how the person identifies, they are simply gender-neutral pronouns that can be used when referring to someone or something - hence why I just referred to the pronouns themselves as "they."

I see what you're trying to do there, but sorry...won't work here.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

So what do you say when you don't know someone's gender? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

HOW THE HELL DID I RECEIVE AN INFRACTION FOR HATE SPEECH OVER THIS? If this is my last post ever here, let it be said: You cannot police the internet and peoples opinions!  I have a right to think calling a single person a "they" is grammatically incorrect and it was not said to incite hate. I'm sorry but there are far more serious issues on this planet than which pronoun a person identifies as and I have a right to this outlook and if I can't voice it here then by all means delete my account and set me free .

5 minutes ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

HOW THE HELL DID I RECEIVE AN INFRACTION FOR HATE SPEECH OVER THIS? If this is my last post ever here, let it be said: You cannot police the internet and peoples opinions!  I have a right to think calling a single person a "they" is grammatically incorrect and it was not said to incite hate. I'm sorry but there are far more serious issues on this planet than which pronoun a person identifies as and I have a right to this outlook and if I can't voice it here then by all means delete my account and set me free .

It's not a grammatical error, though. It's a fact. I don't know why you are freaking out over this. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

5 minutes ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

Also I didn't report you for the comment I quoted you in so I don't know. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

6 hours ago, Sia said:

If I have no indication or clue of whether THEY are male or female then I would call that person I don't know, THEM. However, if I have a visual representation of who THEY are, then I adjust and switch to the gender norms that are in place. 

Using "They/Them" has NOTHING to do with how the person identifies, they are simply gender-neutral pronouns that can be used when referring to someone or something - hence why I just referred to the pronouns themselves as "they."

Ah, so you deliberately do it just to make people uncomfortable? :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

11 hours ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

All opinions are welcome here except ones that are hateful and intolerant of others. Congratulations, you’ve now managed to share those opinions not only once, but immediately again after your first set of warning points expired. 

Both of your posts of you being hateful and unaccepting towards non-binary people have been hidden so that non-binary people don’t have to come in this thread and feel unwelcome by your comments.

It’s 2020. It’s time for you to realize that people have different life experiences than you. You don’t have to understand why people identify the way they do, but you should absolutely let them feel comfortable enough to be who they are here on Exhale. Your hateful prejudices aren’t welcome here.

Also, it wasn't Shawn who "misgendered" Sam. It was Sam.

Again, I'm all for gender neutrality and identifying however you like/feel, but Sam WAS born a "he" and he's not transgendered. He just decided that he wanted to be called "them" after like 20+ years of being a "he." It's all so confusing. I don't see why it's so bad to be called "he" and then act and feel however you want. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block