Shawn Mendes misgendered Sam Smith and the Internet is outraged | Update: Shawn apologizes

Jordan Miller

13 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I''m talking about situations in which you don't even know the person/seen them/interacted with them but they've done something that you are bringing to attention. :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

Well, so you don't know that person at all? I would avoid that and go with you and to be respectful the formal version (in my language). 

But i mean, we are old gays according to some users, i never met a person like that at all? 

• Super Mods
10 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Its not discomfort its simply unnecessary, especially because Im comfortable with my own gender and pronouns, I like being a gay man. If i was, however, uncomfortable with being a he, I'd probably point it out then. I dont see the purpose in doing it otherwise honestly, sorry.

I am glad that you are comfortable with your own gender and pronouns. Since you’re so comfortable, there is literally no reason why sharing your pronouns should be complicated... :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

How would you feel, however, if individuals or society at large denied your stated gender identity? What if, despite you identifying as a male, there were individuals that insisted you weren’t? And society then went along with not treating you as your stated gender identity? :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

Transgender and non-binary people have to literally deal with this type of ignorance on a daily basis. Doing a simple action like using their stated pronouns goes a long way to recognizing their gender identity as valid.

• Super Mods
22 minutes ago, Alexanda said:

It's the default-option, wouldn't it be silly to think that everyone has to do it, just because i don't know how many individuals and snowflakes want to be something else? That goes way too far and won't happen anytime soon. 

I don't feel the need to explain anyone my identity, because everyone is right, i am not the one with the identity-problem. 

:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

Convenient how you quoted the first part of my post, but not the second. :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: Care to comment on how you’d feel if individuals or society at large denied your stated gender identity?

• Super Mods

It’s mind blowing that in the year 2020, when all of us have access to an internet search engine, that people don’t utilize it to learn more about simple gender pronouns... :hideous_um_zoom_hide_what_confused_scared:

Like here is a resource for people if they want to learn more: https://www.blackburncenter.org/post/2020/03/04/why-sharing-your-gender-pronouns-is-important.

If you don’t want to learn more, have fun being a snowflake in your own close-minded bubble. :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:

On 12/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, nigel said:

Here come the hateful comments! I love how safe exhale is for people of all walks of life 💜

Social Justice Warriors like these are absurd though. It’s a mistake by a celebrity and people just popped off on him. It’s vile and it’s nasty. 

doesn’t meant we aren’t pro lgbt 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I have second-hand embarrassment for some of you. You're so proud to be disrespectful, intolerant, and lacking empathy for others. 

If you don't understand non-binary or trans people and want to have a conversation about it, that's great. You're welcome to share that. But simply refusing to try to understand any of it and just continuing to spew your hate and prejudices against them is disgusting.

For so many of you who are lesbian, gay, or bi, I thought you would remember what it feels like for someone not to understand why you are the way you are and when you would hope that even if they didn't understand, they would respect you. Clearly, you got too comfortable and forgot what it was like to be discriminated against often.

Anyways, this behavior won't be tolerated, so I'll continue to be giving out warning points as long as it keeps coming. 

:mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I have second-hand embarrassment for some of you. You're so proud to be disrespectful, intolerant, and lacking empathy for others. 

If you don't understand non-binary or trans people and want to have a conversation about it, that's great. You're welcome to share that. But simply refusing to try to understand any of it and just continuing to spew your hate and prejudices against them is disgusting.

For so many of you who are lesbian, gay, or bi, I thought you would remember what it feels like for someone not to understand why you are the way you are and when you would hope that even if they didn't understand, they would respect you. Clearly, you got too comfortable and forgot what it was like to be discriminated against often.

Anyways, this behavior won't be tolerated, so I'll continue to be giving out warning points as long as it keeps coming. 

:mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

Couldn't have said it better :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SlayOut said:

I would encourage you to, but judging by your post, you won’t be doing so anytime soon :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe: Maybe I’m used to doing this because I know actual transgender people in real life... so it’s literally not a big deal. It’s literally so simple.

And if this embarrasses you than it says more about your discomfort than anything. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

Non binary and transgendered are two different things. Saying you know trans people as if it’s some kind of authority on the subject of non binary pronouns is um... ok then. 

• Super Mods
24 minutes ago, pmill8324 said:

Non binary and transgendered are two different things. Saying you know trans people as if it’s some kind of authority on the subject of non binary pronouns is um... ok then. 

I never equated the two, and definitely have never claimed to be an “authority”... :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

Since I’ve apparently failed to do so, do you care to share any resources that explain how the two are different? :)

On 12/11/2020 at 8:34 PM, Busybee said:

Shawn can't catch a break. Honest mistake I think he handled it well. I dont get the Shawn hate. Im jamming to piece of you right now :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

I dont care about him and I think the whole thing with Sam was a honest mistake.

However I think he was an *** for doing this. And I know some people might say he was young, yada yada, but doesnt he always like to come across really polite, gentleman like and as such a sweet down to earth person? So how come did he think that was ok? He wanted to mock Britney! He could have danced, to do the headworn microphone thing but he chose the shaving thing and he did it laughing. Britney is ******* iconic and the only people who only bring the shaving thing while talking about her are the ones who hate her, are ***ist, mock mental health, etc. Justin Bieber became famous before Shawn. He treated fans badly, he had a temper, he was rude plenty of times, but even before he had problems on his own, he never dissed Britney like that. And for that I respect him. Shawn showed no respect towards Britney. People like to mock Britney for her personal problems as if her life is a comedy show and she doesnt deserve any empathy, respect or privacy. Its almost like: shes crazy, she deserves it.

1 hour ago, Bundy said:

I dont care about him and I think the whole thing with Sam was a honest mistake.

However I think he was an *** for doing this. And I know some people might say he was young, yada yada, but doesnt he always like to come across really polite, gentleman like and as such a sweet down to earth person? So how come did he think that was ok? He wanted to mock Britney! He could have danced, to do the headworn microphone thing but he chose the shaving thing and he did it laughing. Britney is ******* iconic and the only people who only bring the shaving thing while talking about her are the ones who hate her, are ***ist, mock mental health, etc. Justin Bieber became famous before Shawn. He treated fans badly, he had a temper, he was rude plenty of times, but even before he had problems on his own, he never dissed Britney like that. And for that I respect him. Shawn showed no respect towards Britney. People like to mock Britney for her personal problems as if her life is a comedy show and she doesnt deserve any empathy, respect or privacy. Its almost like: shes crazy, she deserves it.

I've seen that video before. Is it cringe? Yes is is in bad taste? Yes 

For me it isnt enough to hate him. Yes Britney is iconic and there are many thing to reference her by but he would have 1 when she started and he was 9 when she shaved her head. Unless your a fan or were old enough to live through it its not gonna have impact in your life. 

If this was a recurring thing and he constantly brought this up then I would side eye him but this was a one off in a game and weather we want to accept it or not her shaving her head was an iconic moment in her life and her career, and it probably the first thing he remembers about her in HIS lifetime. 

I can understand people being off put by this but its not enough for me to hate him. If anything its a teaching moment. The only thing I find problematic is the company he keeps because Camilla showed her *** with all the racist stuff she said and it wasn't just once but thats a whole other topic lol

4 hours ago, Busybee said:

I've seen that video before. Is it cringe? Yes is is in bad taste? Yes 

For me it isnt enough to hate him. Yes Britney is iconic and there are many thing to reference her by but he would have 1 when she started and he was 9 when she shaved her head. Unless your a fan or were old enough to live through it its not gonna have impact in your life. 

If this was a recurring thing and he constantly brought this up then I would side eye him but this was a one off in a game and weather we want to accept it or not her shaving her head was an iconic moment in her life and her career, and it probably the first thing he remembers about her in HIS lifetime. 

I can understand people being off put by this but its not enough for me to hate him. If anything its a teaching moment. The only thing I find problematic is the company he keeps because Camilla showed her *** with all the racist stuff she said and it wasn't just once but thats a whole other topic lol

I dont hate him and even tho shaving her head marked a lot, she still has plenty of iconic songs, performances and moments to be remembered by anyone who lives in the planet earth. Billie Eilish is younger than him and she never did that. one direction boys and Finneas are also young like Shawn and they never said those things too. It was disrespectful, he wanted to mock Britney, to be funny. I will never think thats ok bc I bet he knows Britneys songs, performances and stuff, but he chose doing that for a reason. Didnt Camila say those racist things when she was 15? And didnt she apologize for that in the past?

8 minutes ago, Bundy said:

I dont hate him and even tho shaving her head marked a lot, she still has plenty of iconic songs, performances and moments to be remembered by anyone who lives in the planet earth. Billie Eilish is younger than him and she never did that. one direction boys and Finneas are also young like Shawn and they never said those things too. It was disrespectful, he wanted to mock Britney, to be funny. I will never think thats ok bc I bet he knows Britneys songs, performances and stuff, but he chose doing that for a reason. Didnt Camila say those racist things when she was 15? And didnt she apologize for that in the past?

I get it but this younger generation doesn't know her like we do. The ones who have found her have to go looking for her. Its mind boggling for us to think no one could know her like that but they just don't. I didn't know any of Madonna songs until she did MATM with Britney. Of course I knew who she was I had heard her name but I couldn't name a song of hers before that. Her kiss at the VMAs would have been the most iconic thing that I knew about lol I was 11 at that time Madonna had been doing iconic things way before that but I couldn't tell you any of them.

It wasn't ok and I completely agree but again has he done anything like that since? If he has then I can understand and It's extremely disrespectful and annoying as fans but with everything else going on this is just one of those pick your battle type of things.

As far as Camila there is a history there. She joked about Racism, domestic violence and yea majority of it was when she was younger but there's a pattern and when someone shows you who they are time and time again young or not you believe them. She most certainly wasn't naive enough to know better when she called her former band mate the N word. Not only that but with the ER. Who even says that so regularly and confidently?  The only thing she is sorry about is that she got caught. Just my two cents :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I get it but this younger generation doesn't know her like we do. The ones who have found her have to go looking for her. Its mind boggling for us to think no one could know her like that but they just don't. I didn't know any of Madonna songs until she did MATM with Britney. Of course I knew who she was I had heard her name but I couldn't name a song of hers before that. Her kiss at the VMAs would have been the most iconic thing that I knew about lol I was 11 at that time Madonna had been doing iconic things way before that but I couldn't tell you any of them.

It wasn't ok and I completely agree but again has he done anything like that since? If he has then I can understand and It's extremely disrespectful and annoying as fans but with everything else going on this is just one of those pick your battle type of things.

As far as Camila there is a history there. She joked about Racism, domestic violence and yea majority of it was when she was younger but there's a pattern and when someone shows you who they are time and time again young or not you believe them. She most certainly wasn't naive enough to know better when she called her former band mate the N word. Not only that but with the ER. Who even says that so regularly and confidently?  The only thing she is sorry about is that she got caught. Just my two cents :wink_britney_everytime_white:

Shawn is in the music business and after 2007, I bet he heard TTWE or other FF song, S&S or even WB. Hes a fan of JT so that makes his remark even more interesting. I doubt he doesnt know Britneys songs or some of her performances when Britney is still very much talked about till this day. 

Whats the ER thing? What Camila said was pretty disgusting, but did she ever say other things like that ever since? After she was 15? 

1 minute ago, Bundy said:

Shawn is in the music business and after 2007, I bet he heard TTWE or other FF song, S&S or even WB. Hes a fan of JT so that makes his remark even more interesting. I doubt he doesnt know Britneys songs or some of her performances when Britney is still very much talked about till this day. 

Whats the ER thing? What Camila said was pretty disgusting, but did she ever say other things like that ever since? After she was 15? 

yes lol she called her group mates the N word with the er. This was after she was 15 and she knows she can't especially with the social climate in the US right now. She is lucky she survived that the first time.

I don't doubt he knows some of her songs but like I said earlier thats probably the biggest thing in his life time that he remembers her for. I just don't find him problematic, we can agree to disagree. I do agree what he did was wrong but I don't think he honestly meant harm and its not a pattern. A good example of this would be Katy Perry constantly bringing it up back in the day now that was someone trying to be funny and showed their true colors.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block