Shawn Mendes misgendered Sam Smith and the Internet is outraged | Update: Shawn apologizes

Jordan Miller

Just now, Thecodeman25 said:

Maybe Shawn didn’t know? Someone should have corrected him though. No need for outrage but people should correct him.

Maybe? More like, highly possible.

And yes, I think it's necessary to be informed, but serious question, how is anyone supposed to guess the pronouns someone wants to be referred to as? How can you talk about anyone, celebrity or not, ignoring if this person has said to some publication or some social media post that they want to be addressed as a certain pronoun in particular? Not everyone is pending of what entertainment websites post, or what everyone's social media feed says. And that goes for everyone, if the outrage is now directed towards the producers or whoever made that clip, because again, how is anyone supposed to know the life of every other person? They would literally have to research the history of every single person they're gonna mention or talk about to find out if they've made a particular statement in the past. 

I think this is the last thing someone should feel offended about, because 99% of the time it would be done without malice, but more due to ignorance. And not ignorance because they're uninterested in the topic, but because it's virtually impossible as I said, to be up to date with the lives of every single person. Right there, people are assuming Shawn's pronouns, and did anybody confirm with Shawn if they were correct? 

I think it would be offensive if the implicated person specifically told someone they want to be referred to in some way, and the other person deliberately kept calling them another way just to piss them off, or just completely ignoring their request. THAT would be rude. 

• Love 3
  • Like 5

It s always respectful to use a person’s preferred pronouns but I do admit it gets tricky when they’re they/them

[spoiler]You basically refer to people with they/them as plural, i.e. they are[/spoiler]

That being said, I’m sure this is a mistake and Shawn wouldn’t willingly risk the mob that cancel culture is :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Shawn is a good reflection of what society understands of pronouns and gender. While I don't think his mistake was made willingly, he represents the vast majority of the population that does not understand gender and the importance of using the proper pronouns.

There's a lot of work left to do for gay rights, transgender rights, and really, mostly, education.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, HolyTrinity said:

I don't get It. Educate me please. I don't understand the they/them thing.

N'either do I. I am gay but even I can't follow all of this. People are making it so hard for others to understand...

For me Sam Smith stays a him or a he as long as he has a ding dong period. And I don't care if it's offensive, I was raised and taught in school that 1 person can never be they or them.

• Like 6

All I can say is that Shawn didn't mean to offend Sam Smith. I ain't really getting all of this mess around this case. LGBTQPLUS community is going too far. We Are becoming racists a bit too much. Even we Are not aware of all the differences of gender. They're too much. Calm down! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Maybe? More like, highly possible.

And yes, I think it's necessary to be informed, but serious question, how is anyone supposed to guess the pronouns someone wants to be referred to as? How can you talk about anyone, celebrity or not, ignoring if this person has said to some publication or some social media post that they want to be addressed as a certain pronoun in particular? Not everyone is pending of what entertainment websites post, or what everyone's social media feed says. And that goes for everyone, if the outrage is now directed towards the producers or whoever made that clip, because again, how is anyone supposed to know the life of every other person? They would literally have to research the history of every single person they're gonna mention or talk about to find out if they've made a particular statement in the past. 

I think this is the last thing someone should feel offended about, because 99% of the time it would be done without malice, but more due to ignorance. And not ignorance because they're uninterested in the topic, but because it's virtually impossible as I said, to be up to date with the lives of every single person. Right there, people are assuming Shawn's pronouns, and did anybody confirm with Shawn if they were correct? 

I think it would be offensive if the implicated person specifically told someone they want to be referred to in some way, and the other person deliberately kept calling them another way just to piss them off, or just completely ignoring their request. THAT would be rude. 

You do have a point. If someone makes you aware of their pronouns then it’s your responsibility to use them correctly but if you are unaware of the situation and the preferred pronouns then the person should not be at fault. I’m assuming people just assume that he knows because Sam is a celebrity?

• Love 1
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Thecodeman25 said:

You do have a point. If someone makes you aware of their pronouns then it’s your responsibility to use them correctly but if you are unaware of the situation and the preferred pronouns then the person should not be at fault. I’m assuming people just assume that he knows because Sam is a celebrity?

I guess so :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: But as you said, Shaw should just be informed, but there shouldn't be any outrage or "cancellation"

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I guess so :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: But as you said, Shaw should just be informed, but there shouldn't be any outrage or "cancellation"

You're right in your previous post.

But I don't think there's "outrage" tbh.. This site is the only place i've seen this news. Honestly, i don't think anyone one cares about this stuff. This is news more for entitled people who have a lot of time on their hands.

If you're in the real world, working full-time and have kids to feed, you do not care about "gender pronouns".  Definition of first-world problems.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block