Shawn Mendes misgendered Sam Smith and the Internet is outraged | Update: Shawn apologizes

Jordan Miller

i think it is so crazy how a lot of people can't even respect people's NORMAL pronouns. they/them isn't difficult or crazy...i'm not even talking about shawn. i am kinda shocked at how transphobic + intolerant some of yall are in regards to non-binary people....a lot of you are used to experiencing discrimination yourselves so idk how it makes sense to yall to go ahead and do the same damn thing to other people :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what: you don't even have to agree with it but it is 100% free to be respectful 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mannequin19 said:

i think it is so crazy how a lot of people can't even respect people's NORMAL pronouns. they/them isn't difficult or crazy...i'm not even talking about shawn. i am kinda shocked at how transphobic + intolerant some of yall are in regards to non-binary people....a lot of you are used to experiencing discrimination yourselves so idk how it makes sense to yall to go ahead and do the same damn thing to other people :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what: you don't even have to agree with it but it is 100% free to be respectful 

I personally feel there are more important things to worry about than whether or not people refer to me as a she/her or he/his etc.

If someone wants to be referred to as they/them then they also need to understand the way English has been taught to several generations. 

They, their, them, themselves: English lacks a common-gender third person singular pronoun that can be used to refer to indefinite pronouns (such as everyone, anyone, someone).

Typically when someone uses the pronoun they -

they will come to the dinner 

they are going to the store 

where are they? 

or them

all of them will be coming to dinner

some of them will be going to the store 

is that them? 

Some folks automatically default to these pronouns as groups of people. When it can actually refer to an individual without implying gender. The funny thing is that everyone has already been using these pronouns when speaking about one person...

In closing I think a lot of folks dont know how to use the English language  correctly. It also needs to be known that they used to let the public refer to them as he/his then BAM Sam is now them/their/they. Its almost like if Britney decided to be called Bridget instead of Britney but we have always known her as “Britney” its an adjustment. 

• Love 4
  • Super Mods
13 hours ago, SlayOut said:

For me, remembering someone’s pronouns is like remembering their name.

Like I wouldn’t want someone calling me, SlayOut, another name like, say, Lilith. That name literally has no meaning to me, i have no relationship to it, it doesn’t describe me, doesn’t refer to me... same with pronouns.

Nowadays if I’m meeting someone new, I’ll introduce myself with my name (SlayOut) and my pronouns (he/him). And the other person would tell me theirs, and I’ll make a mental note. If i see that person often, it’s engrained.

Gurl are you saying that now when i meet a person I have to say "Hi, my name is Felix and you can refer to me as he/him nice to meet you?" :orangu_orangutan_ape: because no way in hell am I embarassing myself like that :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

• Love 6
  • Haha 1

This, IMO, is lunacy. Really guys? My misunderstanding is if gender isn’t a problem for people then why should one get upset for gender “identity”. It’s more of a lack of identity. I can’t really say red is blue over and over again and expect red to be blue. There’s nothing wrong with people having their rights to do as they please. Same goes to those who are hetero and don’t live in the alphabetical identification group. If people truly want to unite they wouldn’t make more categories or sub categories. Stop pointing fingers and leave this guy alone. First the push for him to be gay, then he confronts it and now he’s a villain for not being gay. Like wow. Really... apparently we’re evolving as a race... 😂 hypo-critic

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
42 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

Gurl are you saying that now when i meet a person I have to say "Hi, my name is Felix and you can refer to me as he/him nice to meet you?" :orangu_orangutan_ape: because no way in hell am I embarassing myself like that :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I would encourage you to, but judging by your post, you won’t be doing so anytime soon :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe: Maybe I’m used to doing this because I know actual transgender people in real life... so it’s literally not a big deal. It’s literally so simple.

And if this embarrasses you than it says more about your discomfort than anything. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
44 minutes ago, SlayOut said:

I would encourage you to, but judging by your post, you won’t be doing so anytime soon :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe: Maybe I’m used to doing this because I know actual transgender people in real life... so it’s literally not a big deal. It’s literally so simple.

And if this embarrasses you than it says more about your discomfort than anything. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

Its not discomfort its simply unnecessary, especially because Im comfortable with my own gender and pronouns, I like being a gay man. If i was, however, uncomfortable with being a he, I'd probably point it out then. I dont see the purpose in doing it otherwise honestly, sorry.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I personally feel there are more important things to worry about than whether or not people refer to me as a she/her or he/his etc.

If someone wants to be referred to as they/them then they also need to understand the way English has been taught to several generations. 

They, their, them, themselves: English lacks a common-gender third person singular pronoun that can be used to refer to indefinite pronouns (such as everyone, anyone, someone).

Typically when someone uses the pronoun they -

they will come to the dinner 

they are going to the store 

where are they? 

or them

all of them will be coming to dinner

some of them will be going to the store 

is that them? 

Some folks automatically default to these pronouns as groups of people. When it can actually refer to an individual without implying gender. The funny thing is that everyone has already been using these pronouns when speaking about one person...

In closing I think a lot of folks dont know how to use the English language  correctly. It also needs to be known that they used to let the public refer to them as he/his then BAM Sam is now them/their/they. Its almost like if Britney decided to be called Bridget instead of Britney but we have always known her as “Britney” its an adjustment. 

yes it's an adjustment...that's why if you mess up you can apologize like shawn did & move on. people on here are being intentionally disrespectful. it just makes them look old & stupid

• Love 2
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, MoonLight28 said:

I'm gay af like i love to ate 3 ****s at the same time, but wtf it's this bull****...

Why are a part of lgtb colective triying to patronize the rest of people like a ******* cult??? be what you want, i don't ******* care, but if you want to be tolerated and accepted in society, be tolerant too, and don't pull the opression card as a ******* wildcard because don't you like something...

Human rights (yeah, "lgbtq rights" can't be more important than human rights, either way it's a privilege) isn't shaving your pronouns in everybody mouth like a ****, people like you simplifies what human rights really are with this SJW bull***... There's a lot, a lot of more important thing to work than your ******* pronouns

It's truly not complicated, using a proper pronoun but have a field day. Making mistakes is okay, no need to burn people at the stake. I don't see it as a privilege, but a courtesy.

9 hours ago, SlayOut said:

Sorry, but no, just no. 

Most of the time you can see what a person wants to represent (trans***ualpeople), i mean like talking about looks, we would all call a dragqueen "she"? I don't say it's the same thing, but i say there is no need to introduce myself in that manner, because clearly i am a man. 

So they can come up to me and say: I am trans, would you mind? 

And i can react to that, but most of them are doing it so good, it's obvious. 

:mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Its not discomfort its simply unnecessary, especially because Im comfortable with my own gender and pronouns, I like being a gay man. If i was, however, uncomfortable with being a he, I'd probably point it out then. I dont see the purpose in doing it otherwise honestly, sorry.

Yes, thank you! 

Like people can make assumptions about me, i really don't care, i am still a proud gayman. :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

I would be offended, if someone asks me: What are your pronouns? Like what? :gum_britney_chewing_chomping_2006_2007_Red:

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, mannequin19 said:

yes it's an adjustment...that's why if you mess up you can apologize like shawn did & move on. people on here are being intentionally disrespectful. it just makes them look old & stupid

I’d rather look “old & stupid” than “young and easily triggered.”

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

I'm 35, have no clue who either of these people is, and refuse to call anyone who doesn't have multiple heads "them". 

5 minutes ago, Sia said:

I’m so over this politically correct culture...

If anything, it makes me want to purposely piss people off.

So what do you say when you don't know someone's gender? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block