Nicki Minaj is salty about the Grammys

Jordan Miller

18 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Rappers after 2000 dont deserve any awards and thats that on that :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod: All they're singing about is *****, ****s, ***,money and jewelry. How is any of that prize worthy? Rappers of the last century were revolutionary, fought and died for the rights of black people. Every verse was an anthem against hatred and and oppressive system. What exactly do "rappers" like Nicki, Cardi, Lil Wayne or whoever is big at this point have to offer to black community or the world in general? Absolutely nothing.

They should be ashamed for letting down their community and for taking something so revolutionary and pure as rap and hip hop and twist it into a disgrace that it is today :rihit_rihanna_annoyed_throw_walk_away_bye_irritated_mad:

I hope you apply these standards to pop music too. :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

Style—I agree with some of what you are saying and I will probably be next in line to be dragged, but I wanted to join the conversation. 

There is so much fragility from the commenters. Ironically some of the same people are the same who vehemently oppose cancel culture.

Moreover, I expected a little more from Jordan as I thought he was someone who tried to be more reflective and understanding of various POV. However the title of the thread along with the summary really seems bias against Nicki. TBH, It’s giving me very Perez-like vibes, but that might just be MY OPINION *In Tamra Judge Voice* 

Now Nicki’s message may have been lost in the triggering word she used for some. For the record, I do think she could of have phrased it better. However, most on here are vilifying Nicki and depicting her as a bitter and angry woman is also an issue. Ask yourself, if you have labeled other female musicians the same? Like, Lana Del Rey when she did not win, was she a bitter angry woman? Or maybe you were busy staunchly defending her because you felt she was ripped off. 

Rap may not be your cup of tea. However, Nicki merged Hip Hop Culture and paved the way for many more female rappers that followed. I know she didn’t create it, and yes Lil Kim came before, but Nicki+ Her team perfected the genre to make it more accessible to mainstream. And that’s not a small feat to accomplish. A feat that sadly the Grammys have yet to recognize and probably never will. 

Also, yes Beyonce is a black woman leading the nominations, but she is also the token one in the bunch to make up for lack of representation elsewhere.

If you are a listener of R&B you’ll even notice that many r&b women were left out of the Grammy list this year, last year and many years ago.  It’s all men up for the best R&B album of the year. As if only men put out good albums. 

Where is Teyona Taylor? Brandy? Ari Lennox? Summer Walker?  Many of their albums were considered big in the genre, but they were absent from the nominations.  

Look the reality is this is nothing new for the Grammys. Maybe one day it will be less homogenous and more inclusive for all. In the meantime, let’s try not just labeling women of color—bitter and angry when they express frustration at awards that ignore their work. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, JayDogwood90 said:

Now Nicki’s message may have been lost in the triggering word she used for some. For the record, I do think she could of have phrased it better. However, most on here are vilifying Nicki and depicting her as a bitter and angry woman is also an issue. Ask yourself, if you have labeled other female musicians the same? Like, Lana Del Rey when she did not win, was she a bitter angry woman? Or maybe you were busy staunchly defending her because you felt she was ripped off. 

I agreed with some of your other points, but I have to quote you here because while I can't speak for everyone, I've dragged Lana plenty of times, especially a few months ago when she made subtle jabs at Ariana, Beyonce, Nicki, Doja, etc. I also dragged Katy [a white woman] for not having any Grammys just a few days ago. So any implication about some of us not appreciating Nicki's Grammy complaint just because she's a black woman is quite frankly ludicrous, because I'd criticize her comment even if she were a white woman.

Also on the topic of Beyonce which you alluded to, I just wanted to say that the reason why I have no problem with Beyonce's nominations is because I personally respect her artistry. No matter how pretentious she might come across on some occasions, I admire her visuals and work ethic. She's generally well-meaning, hardly comes across as arrogant or a braggart, and it's easier for me to look at her work objectively and give it my personal approval based on how she carries herself.

So whether or not she's the "token" black nominee, I can't exactly fault the Grammy committee for nominating her given that she's one of the most consistent and untroublesome artists. The same can't be said about certain others, however.

I think Jordan forgot, not every gay guy loves the blond white woman stereotype icon that every LGBT mag throws at them..

I remember when a gay guy said he liked insane clown posse, heavy metal. 

He looked at me. 

"Are you kidding me, not all gays like Madonna or any dance floor diva, god no wonder this communities is shallow, you guys only go for what's marketed or aimed at you, cos you have money to throw, you'd be surprised this is why so many don't come out, cos they might like a homophobic rapper like Beenie Man, and Knows that he would be hated by his community or disowned cos the lgbt press attacked him when they let Janet Jackson go for working with him as well"

You guys wonder why nobody dates you. You're so shallow, you can't see the judgment you cast on people who don't follow the gay status quo. 

One day that's going to get everybody in trouble. 

That was 2006. 

@Style.

@Hooked-On-Knee

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block