Do you think songs long less than 3 minutes are the new trend?

2.jpg.d18cf6de7c3db829e0d7c3872ff38e08.jpgWe are noticing that tracks are getting shorter with big names dropping their latest releases for songs with a length of 3 min or less (Ariana, Dua, Little Mix ...)

Do you think that this this the future of music? As consumption turnover is getting higher and let's be honest i usually skip a song after 2 min listen

It's the era of 'Hit quick"

Thoughts? 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Yes, and it's been a thing 

Watch reaction videos to Madame X, many complain of the time stamps..

Particularly the six minute epic God control. 

But coming from the Album era. Don't short yourself kids, if it takes five minutes to get it out, whether Anger, Depression. Get it all out. You're only cheating yourself. 

Plus Music used to be made for the artist's with the hopeful intention it would find an audience. 

There were couple of articles from last year about why this is the new way to go for songs and streaming business

I liked this paragraph, as it describes what's happening since 2018, and maybe a bit before that, but it became the way to go:

One of the main things that has changed is how people are getting paid, and it’s is affecting how songs are being written. In the past, you used to get paid if you sold an album or a single. In 1995, we had songs that were coming in at four minutes and 30 seconds. Today, songs are down to three minutes and 42 seconds, because of the difference in how artists are getting paid now. Instead of getting paid by physical sales, you’re getting paid in a stream, which only counts if someone listens to 30 seconds of a song. It actually makes sense if you can have more songs streamed at a time, which means that you want to pack your album full of much shorter songs. So if you have an album like Drake’s Scorpion, which is a really long double album coming in at almost 90 minutes, he’s got a ton of really short songs on there, because he gets paid for every song you listen to, whether or not you listen to the whole album.

• Love 8
  • Like 1

I personally don’t like short songs. If the song’s good, you don’t want it to end abruptly just because that’s the new trend. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I love instrumentals because they give an extra touch to the song that makes it more “meaningful”. 

For example, I cannot imagine Take a Bow as a 2:30 min track, even though they had to cut some parts for the video. 

• Love 6
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, aleomg said:

I personally don’t like short songs. If the song’s good, you don’t want it to end abruptly just because that’s the new trend. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I love instrumentals because they give an extra touch to the song that makes it more “meaningful”. 

For example, I cannot imagine Take a Bow as a 2:30 min track, even though they had to cut some parts for the video. 

That was the radio Edit. 

They cut out two choruses, but I get what you mean. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Needleney said:

What about shattered glass? 2:56.. that song doesnt even have a bridge; for me it always felt like this song is unfinished.

I don't know but a 2:56 song doesn't register to me as a "short song". I never saw it as odd especially when Freakshow is literally shorter by 1 second. :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: I guess cause you can technically call a 2:56 and a 2:55 song a 3 min song... ish.

Pretty Girls looked so weird with "44" seconds. I was literally in shock when I saw the length. :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I prefer songs that are 3:30 - 4:00ish. If they're longer than 5:00, then that's already pushing it, and they must be masterpieces like this song:

:tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

As for albums, though, I don't like it when albums are longer than 40 - 45ish minutes. That's one of the reasons why I hate repackages - they always make perfect albums longer than they should be. :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated: There's a lot of flawless albums that I don't listen to as much as I'd love to because they're way too freakin' long, such as "Rebel Heart", "Born This Way", "Alright, Still", "Red", "Dua Lipa", etc. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what: The worst offender is definitely "Halcyon Days" by Ellie Goulding. I love pretty much every song on that album / repackage, but it's like 29 songs / 1,5 hours long. I love you, Ellie, but not enough to sit through that. :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I think artists, songwriters and producers are getting lazier overtime. Usually, the verses consist of 12 to 16 lines but recently, most of them would only have 10 or even lesser. The redundancy with the chorus is worrying too, it was widely demonstrated in new track releases. Rap/hip-hop is the generous genre these days. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators

Yes I feel todays music lacks true quality, not all of it of course and is designed to be consumed to produce money so making the music shorter  just makes it easier for the listener to click play and produce that revenue.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block