Do you think songs long less than 3 minutes are the new trend?

I’m a gen z but I wish that newer songs were 3 minutes long. 2 just feels so lazy :brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired:
If the song is good, people will stream it no matter its length and if you choose to make it short...it just simply shows you’re insecure over whether the record will flop or not, and thus will make it shorter so streaming parties and delusional stans can stream it and get it to #1. Just like many songs and one song this week that went #1 and have or will start to free-fall by their second week...IF you know what I’m talking about :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

However, it still depends because if it’s an album with like 12-14 tracks, then duh! Should I expect tracks of 3-4 minutes, but if you are doing an album with like....15-20 tracks, I can suggest 2 minute songs so it doesn’t feel bloated. A good example of it Chromatica, which has 16 tracks, yet 2 minute tracks with good quality :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

Just my 2 cents on it :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

• Love 2

Unfortunately, yes. There was three albums that I listened to this year that still had a variety of songs lengths (Folklore, Petals For Armor and Music To Be ******** By) but it seems most others have songs that are less than 4 minutes, some less than 3. Chromatica, Future Nostalgia, Smile, Positions, The Album, Rare.... most of the songs on those albums weren't super long at all. However, that hasn't stopped Chromatica and Future Nostalgia being two of my favourite albums released this year. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

That was the radio Edit. 

They cut out two choruses, but I get what you mean. 

Yeah, same thing happened to Secret, Bedtime Story and Human Nature.

It’s “understandable” radio stations are not very fond of playing a 4:30-5:00 min song, but that’s the way artists used to make tracks back then. 

15 hours ago, jonjon2000 said:

There were couple of articles from last year about why this is the new way to go for songs and streaming business

I liked this paragraph, as it describes what's happening since 2018, and maybe a bit before that, but it became the way to go:

Oh Wow ... thx for sharing, very interesting analysis 

15 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I think it's good for streams, and if it doesn't mess the integrity of the song then I say yes. Why make a song ~3 minutes long just cause that's what we think they should be. 

Get ready for 45 minute feature films :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

There's a piece of truth in that .... but my main concern is that can we really tell a story in less than 3 min song? Debatable i guess

A short song is not necessarily a bad song and a long song is not necessarily a good song either.
length does not equal quality.

I haven't noticed this as a trend at all, tbh.:mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:
but then again, I don't really pay attention to a song's length unless it FEELS unusually long or short.:eyes_britney_laugh:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I wanna feel myself with the music for longer than this short 2 minute business. Give me the full value. A nice 3:49 sure. We're starting to do some Walmart price roll back stuff here, I'm not down.

You know when you a hear a song that you connect with after not hearing something like that for awhile, you don't want it to end... I feel cheated. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block