Britney facing backlash and criticism after her 2000 MTV VMA performance (MTV Soundbites) [HD]

What Britney said and thinks about this 23 years later: 

At the 2000 VMAs, I sang the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and then “Oops!… I Did It Again” while going from a suit and hat to a glittery bikini top and tight pants, my long hair down. Wade Robson choreographed it—he always knew how to make me look strong and feminine at the same time. During the dance breaks in the cage, I did poses that made me look girly in the middle of an aggressive performance.
Later, MTV sat me down in front of a monitor and made me watch strangers in Times Square give their opinions of my performance. Some of them said I did a good job, but an awful lot of them seemed to be focused on my having worn a skimpy outfit. They said that I was dressing “too ****,” and thereby setting a bad example for kids.
The cameras were trained on me, waiting to see how I would react to this criticism, if I would take it well or if I would cry. Did I do something wrong? I wondered. I’d just danced my heart out on the awards show. I never said I was a role model. All I wanted to do was sing and dance.
The MTV show host kept pushing. What did I think of the commenters telling me I was corrupting America’s youth?
Finally, I said, “Some of them were very sweet… But I’m not the children’s parents. I just gotta be me. I know there are going to be people out there—I know not everyone’s gonna like me.”
It shook me up. And it was my first real taste of a backlash that would last years. It felt like every time I turned on an entertainment show, yet another person was taking shots at me, saying I wasn’t “authentic.”
I was never quite sure what all these critics thought I was supposed to be doing—a Bob Dylan impression? I was a teenage girl from the South. I signed my name with a heart. I liked looking cute. Why did everyone treat me, even when I was a teenager, like I was dangerous?

• Love 4
  • Super Mods

I've seen this clip and I always thought it was unfair and sxist to do this cause I dont think MTV would've gotten Justin or any other male singer to watch a video of others criticizing their performances.

Its like they wanted to make her cry or something.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, princessmimi said:

I've seen this clip and I always thought it was unfair and sxist to do this cause I dont think MTV would've gotten Justin or any other male singer to watch a video of others criticizing their performances.

Its like they wanted to make her cry or something.

I had the impression that when she started to have fun and laugh about it then the woman was like uh enough, we didn’t get the reaction we wanted (like Britney feeling bad about it). 

• Super Mods
2 minutes ago, Fita said:

I had the impression that when she started to have fun and laugh about it then the woman was like uh enough, we didn’t get the reaction we wanted (like Britney feeling bad about it). 

I know right?

Its funny cause Christina didn't get this much backlash and she had songs that were WAY more sxual than Britney in 2000.

No one said anything about her suggestive songs like Genie and Come On Over Baby.

It was only Britney who was the punching bag of the pop girls at the time.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

I know right?

Its funny cause Christina didn't get this much backlash and she had songs that were WAY more sxual than Britney in 2000.

No one said anything about her suggestive songs like Genie and Come On Over Baby.

It was only Britney who was the punching bag of the pop girls at the time.

And yet all of them wanted to be like Britney. I guess maybe Britney was a trailblazer in other senses than just on her art. Britney was like a sitting duck for the media, like an easy target and they just couldn’t get enough.

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
21 minutes ago, Fita said:

And yet all of them wanted to be like Britney. I guess maybe Britney was a trailblazer in other senses than just on her art. Britney was like a sitting duck for the media, like an easy target and they just couldn’t get enough.

Exactly.

She was such an easy target cause she was so nice and submissive.

If she had a stronger personality, she probably wouldn't have been picked on as much.

16 hours ago, Fita said:

What Britney said and thinks about this 23 years later: 

At the 2000 VMAs, I sang the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and then “Oops!… I Did It Again” while going from a suit and hat to a glittery bikini top and tight pants, my long hair down. Wade Robson choreographed it—he always knew how to make me look strong and feminine at the same time. During the dance breaks in the cage, I did poses that made me look girly in the middle of an aggressive performance.
Later, MTV sat me down in front of a monitor and made me watch strangers in Times Square give their opinions of my performance. Some of them said I did a good job, but an awful lot of them seemed to be focused on my having worn a skimpy outfit. They said that I was dressing “too ****,” and thereby setting a bad example for kids.
The cameras were trained on me, waiting to see how I would react to this criticism, if I would take it well or if I would cry. Did I do something wrong? I wondered. I’d just danced my heart out on the awards show. I never said I was a role model. All I wanted to do was sing and dance.
The MTV show host kept pushing. What did I think of the commenters telling me I was corrupting America’s youth?
Finally, I said, “Some of them were very sweet… But I’m not the children’s parents. I just gotta be me. I know there are going to be people out there—I know not everyone’s gonna like me.”
It shook me up. And it was my first real taste of a backlash that would last years. It felt like every time I turned on an entertainment show, yet another person was taking shots at me, saying I wasn’t “authentic.”
I was never quite sure what all these critics thought I was supposed to be doing—a Bob Dylan impression? I was a teenage girl from the South. I signed my name with a heart. I liked looking cute. Why did everyone treat me, even when I was a teenager, like I was dangerous?

T4P!

• Love 1

Honestly, not much different from people talking about her IG now. She probably has the same attitude about it too. A class act.

The truth is, no matter what she does, there will be people like this, so she might as well do whatever she wants. As long as it's not illegal, of course 😉

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block