This Day in Pop: Britney debuts as a judge on The X Factor USA in 2012 (September 12)

41 minutes ago, Soysaucechicken08 said:

I actually disagree this was Britney 3rd biggest peak. Yes ppl discussed her during live shows being somewhat meh but Britney was still in very high demand and always talked about on those gossip shows excess Hollywood etc n And her next album highly anticipated. She was still the biggest name in pop at this time. I think the release of bj n meh reviews of her dancing in pom is what led to a decline in her popularity. 

X Factor, Britney Jean, Vegas, none of that had anything to do with her decline in popularity, at least not as much as the fact that they just stopped with the singles. If an artist stops putting music out there, good or bad, but something, people just forget about them.

Work ***** did moderately good, and at least on YouTube it was very popular. It's still one of her most watched videos. But then Perfume's overwhelming video passed unnoticed (7 years later it still doesn't hit the 40M mark), then they left the entire 2014 without a new single, she came back in 2015 with Pretty Girls, her most disliked video on YouTube, then another year without anything new, only to come back in 2016 with that Make Me... video no one liked.

So she basically had 3 bad videos / singles in a row, that on top of all were very separated from each other. How was she supposed to stay relevant under those conditions? Fans think that because we're aware of everything she does, the entire world is too. But if she's not putting music out there, if she's not on the radio, if she doesn't have a new video getting recommended on YouTube, the general public just think of her (or any artist that falls in this situation) as someone that has retired or that isn't currently doing anything.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, joanhs said:

THats probably due to the GP never actually gave her a chance. The majority of people doesn't exactly think Britney is talented.. C-ship or not, britney was always seen as a pop-robot with no input, autotune, lip- synch, and couldn't actually sing. Thats how majority look at her. So having her become a judge on x-factor was to most people just weird and negative, before the show even began. She never had a chance. A season more would have done it otherwise. 

Just look at the america got talent show with the different judges they have, they have to prove themself over and over.

Britney was Never seen as a Madonna or a Janet Jackson. 

Let's be honest. Nobody thought another type of Paula Abdul would happen.

Even during her E! True Hollywood story. 

A huge fan saw the original promo for her,..

She said I was afraid The way Jive marketed her initially as a music editor. I was like I went through this with Debbie gibson and Paula Abdul. How is Britney going to be different..

She said it's simple. She embraced hip hop Music in a dancey way. To where Paula and Debbie rode through a trend, once that trend ended and they never evolved artistically.

In the Zone is that album that proved. Not a Fad, I'm here to stay. She started manufactured. But her smartest move was firing Max Martin. That's how she evolved her dance sound. Had she stayed the sound Of her first three albums and used Max Martin like Janet Jackson used Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis. She would fade and be seen as part of a trend. She knew moving from swedish innocent Pop was the best thing. Her audience got ****** so she went there with them. 

In the zone came out when her audience was 16 or 17. So yeah they grew up to have fun with their bodies. Britney understood her audience. Nobody gives her that credit as well. She grew up with them. 

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

X Factor, Britney Jean, Vegas, none of that had anything to do with her decline in popularity, at least not as much as the fact that they just stopped with the singles. If an artist stops putting music out there, good or bad, but something, people just forget about them.

Work ***** did moderately good, and at least on YouTube it was very popular. It's still one of her most watched videos. But then Perfume's overwhelming video passed unnoticed (7 years later it still doesn't hit the 40M mark), then they left the entire 2014 without a new single, she came back in 2015 with Pretty Girls, her most disliked video on YouTube, then another year without anything new, only to come back in 2016 with that Make Me... video no one liked.

So she basically had 3 bad videos / singles in a row, that on top of all were very separated from each other. How was she supposed to stay relevant under those conditions? Fans think that because we're aware of everything she does, the entire world is too. But if she's not putting music out there, if she's not on the radio, if she doesn't have a new video getting recommended on YouTube, the general public just think of her (or any artist that falls in this situation) as someone that has retired or that isn't currently doing anything.

Uhhh so basically bj as I said Is when it started her decline in the gp.. as I said above idk what point ur trynna make lol..

1 hour ago, Soysaucechicken08 said:

Uhhh so basically bj as I said Is when it started her decline in the gp.. as I said above idk what point ur trynna make lol..

that the problem isn't that she released a specific album or because of the Vegas dancing's "meh reviews", but that they just simply stopped releasing singles for periods longer than a year. How are people going to talk about a musician that doesn't have a new song in such a long time, and when she does it gets no promotion? Most people don't even know about Britney Jean or Glory, or even that she kept performing in Vegas for 4 years. The general public don't keep track of every single artist's tours or album releases, they just care about the latest songs that they put out, that they hear on the radio, or that is getting promoted in digital platforms. The Vegas residency could've had amazing reviews, and it wouldn't have changed a thing, because she didn't have a current single that people could talk about.

So since they screwed up with the Perfume video (which actually has very positive comments on YouTube but people just don't know about it) and didn't try to make up for it with another single from the album, for most of the public Britney didn't do anything from September 2013 when she released Work *****, until May 2015 when Pretty Girls came out (which the public didn't like, but quickly forgot), and then nothing again until July 2016 when she released Make Me...

So for the public she's technically retired since 2013 when she had her last known single, and it has nothing to do with bad reviews (which ironically she didn't have, because POM got a lot of articles that praised it, she even won awards for it :dontlike_chewing_gum_zoom_bomt_britney:)

Why was she still famous in 2012 despite the whole zombieness of the FF era? Because she kept releasing singles throughout 2011 and she was still very present in people's minds, as an artist that still releases music, despite her physical appearance or lack of enthusiasm onstage, or the lethargic interviews.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

She was very anxious, at the time we used to see her psoriasis getting worse

article-2205854-151A7DF9000005DC-380_308

you can see how she scratches her foot, and even one of the girls asked what was it

And the way she left, I think they were on a commercial break, and they were calling her back, so she just ran to where Ellen was. It was the same day this happened

and this

Wow I love that interview with a fan. Britney was sooo nice to do that and even though she was anxious I feel like she did a great interview and that fan was extremely sweet.. I think Britney didn’t mind her one bit.. loved Britney’s answer “my family, were all funny people 😝

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

that the problem isn't that she released a specific album or because of the Vegas dancing's "meh reviews", but that they just simply stopped releasing singles for periods longer than a year. How are people going to talk about a musician that doesn't have a new song in such a long time, and when she does it gets no promotion? Most people don't even know about Britney Jean or Glory, or even that she kept performing in Vegas for 4 years. The general public don't keep track of every single artist's tours or album releases, they just care about the latest songs that they put out, that they hear on the radio, or that is getting promoted in digital platforms. The Vegas residency could've had amazing reviews, and it wouldn't have changed a thing, because she didn't have a current single that people could talk about.

So since they screwed up with the Perfume video (which actually has very positive comments on YouTube but people just don't know about it) and didn't try to make up for it with another single from the album, for most of the public Britney didn't do anything from September 2013 when she released Work *****, until May 2015 when Pretty Girls came out (which the public didn't like, but quickly forgot), and then nothing again until July 2016 when she released Make Me...

So for the public she's technically retired since 2013 when she had her last known single, and it has nothing to do with bad reviews (which ironically she didn't have, because POM got a lot of articles that praised it, she even won awards for it :dontlike_chewing_gum_zoom_bomt_britney:)

Why was she still famous in 2012 despite the whole zombieness of the FF era? Because she kept releasing singles throughout 2011 and she was still very present in people's minds, as an artist that still releases music, despite her physical appearance or lack of enthusiasm onstage, or the lethargic interviews.

I completely agree. As much as I didn't like BJ the album, I still think it should've gotten four singles. I hate hate hate that they stopped after perfume - and that they scrapped a controversial / better video, which may have helped. I hate that they didn't release Alien like she wanted, and even some kind of music video with Vegas footage if that's what they wanted to promote like how Taylor Swift did with her tour MVs.... 

Glory had her most acclaimed album since Oops and they didn't give THAT album 4 singles / music videos? Yet Fantasy perfumes get like 3 re-releases a year?

angry little rascals GIF

• Like 2

X Factor should never have happened. She was plainly uncomfortable the whole time, heavily medicated and they styled her horribly. She looked so much older than she actually was. She was literally 31 but looks about 55 from how they dressed her and did her makeup. 2011 had already been a hard enough year for her releasing FF, doing a world tour let alone doing X Factor the year after when she seemed at an all time low.

Britney should have did X Factor back in 2004.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

X Factor should never have happened. She was plainly uncomfortable the whole time, heavily medicated and they styled her horribly. She looked so much older than she actually was. She was literally 31 but looks about 55 from how they dressed her and did her makeup. 2011 had already been a hard enough year for her releasing FF, doing a world tour let alone doing X Factor the year after when she seemed at an all time low.

Britney should have did X Factor back in 2004.

2004? LOL. She was still at her peak. Normally, being judge on a tv show is when your career is at low.

8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah so around bj is when everything went downhill.  If u wanna write paragraphs go ahead. Lololol

But it’s the same thing around bj era. Which is what i said I’m just not getting into it detail by detail but you yourself said at 2013. Which is when bj was released. 

4 hours ago, John0164 said:

Wow I love that interview with a fan. Britney was sooo nice to do that and even though she was anxious I feel like she did a great interview and that fan was extremely sweet.. I think Britney didn’t mind her one bit.. loved Britney’s answer “my family, were all funny people 😝

Are you joking? Britney was very blunt.. she just shaked the girls hand and no hugs. Very cold interview and obviously watered down questions approved by her team. 

• 11 months later...