1989 vs Reputation vs Lover

1989! Iconic - probably my only critic would be the over-catchiness of some songs (shake it off, how you get the girl, bad blood)

Reputation for the mood she was into, the narrative of revenge and the snakes.

Lover is very mature, cohesive and takes things from Red and 1989 but with a dreamy flare. There are some missteps tho.

They're all solid in different ways

• Like 1

I prefer 1989 and can listen to it from start to finish :staysalty: and then I would say Reputation is my second from this category but it lived it up to 1989 :goat: I have listened to Lover so many times but for whatever reason I can’t seem to get into it :wendycry: I guess I haven’t evolved with Taylor and will forever been a vengeful snake :shadelaugh:

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

1989 will forever be her best. But regarding the other two, Reputation hands down. Lover doesn’t sound complete and some of the songs sound like she recorded them inside of a jar of peanut butter. Plus, reputation has one of my favorite Taylor songs “dancing with our hands tied”

Everything about lover seemed cheap to me except for the videos. And I HATE the lover cover 

Aww.. I like the Lover cover...!! But yeah Dancing With Our Hands Tied is a masterpiece :fran: I also loooove King Of My Heart and Dress 

• Love 1

The three of them are amazing pop records in their own right. Here’s my rank with a few highlights: 

3. Lover (Daylight, Cruel Summer, False God)

2. 1989 (Style, Wonderland, Clean, New Romantics)

1. Reputation (So it Goes, Getaway Car, Dancing with our Hands Tied, Delicate) 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Alxatc said:

Aww.. I like the Lover cover...!! But yeah Dancing With Our Hands Tied is a masterpiece :fran: I also loooove King Of My Heart and Dress 

Yasssss! Lover just doesn’t have any masterpieces. However I do want “lover” the song to be played at my wedding reception. But not as my first dance...maybe just while everyone is eating. 
:katycream:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Yasssss! Lover just doesn’t have any masterpieces. However I do want “lover” the song to be played at my wedding reception. But not as my first dance...maybe just while everyone is eating. 
:katycream:

I love the album Lover too.... Cruel Summer is the masterpiece of that album :lollipop:

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Yeah, I don’t understand the cruel summer stans. It sounds very “a, b, c, 1, 2, 3” to me. But she’s released much worse... like Me!

:pieceofwhat:

LOL!!! CS sounds magical to me tho. The Man is good too ... and of course you and I can both agree on Lover.... 

* I want this version at my wedding

Actually I love the Archer too... and I Think He Knows ... Ok I love Lover as an album I'm listening now. Have you listened to the album in full?

• Love 2
Just now, Alxatc said:

LOL!!! CS sounds magical to me tho. The Man is good too ... and of course you and I can both agree on Lover.... 

* I want this version at my wedding

Actually I love the Archer too... and I Think He Knows ... Ok I love Lover as an album I'm listening now. Have you listened to the album in full?

I have listened to it in full. It’s not a bad album, but I definitely think it’s her worst. Especially following reputation and 1989

Godputation. :cheese:

The production is superior, the dark theme is rebellious and exciting, and it has my favorite T Swift songs which are Getaway Car and Don't Blame Me. 

1989 is great too but the latter half of the album is too slow for me.

Lover is ok but too many fillers tbh. It has the most boring songs from her collection. 

Wow this is HARD. Taylor is my 2nd fav and all her albums to me are amazing. 

1989 came out during the sophomore year of college for me and it’s a very special place in my heart. The album just evokes those carefree memories I had in college. It takes me back. 

reputation on the other hand came out during a VERY dark period of my life and its dark nature helped me get through my roof times? If that makes sense?

i am going to go with 1989 tho. It’s one of my favs 

• Like 1

I ******* LOVE THIS ONE!!!

Taylor has made 3 phenomenal albums.... BUT ... in my opinion, ‘Reputation’ takes the cake. ‘1989’ was an expertly crafted piece of pop music... BUT ... I think the theme and the grit behind ‘Reputation’ makes it my favorite. You could really feel Taylor’s image change, her tone change, her attitude change.... she’s been a different person since that album. Plus, for it’s hip/hip pulse, and gritty vibes... it also gave us one of my all time faves of hers.... ‘Call It What You Want To’. 

1989 is the Queen. Every song she released had its success and set her up for pop success. 

reputation deserved more attention. It was the kind of album that you need time with to understand the story. I think Look What You Made Me Do was the perfect lead because it got the attention and showed the difference. But the real gems on the album are the songs about finding love. 

Lover is a songwriters album and also has some incredible songs. But it doesn’t compare to the others. 

I look forward for her next album. Hopefully she experiments a little more sonically like she started to do in reputation. 

This one is definitely a tough one to select... Each era goes through the phases of Love for Taylor Swift, and I appreciate the narrative she tells in each album. I will say that the whole package for 1989 was absolutely brilliant (one of the best concerts I've attended so far!) While "New Romantics" is my favourite song from Taylor Swift, I would have to say that Reputation takes my vote between these three albums. There's something about Reputation's storyline that makes me understand Taylor on a more personal level. I do look forward to the Lover Fest (whenever that comes into fruition), but for now, there are two words to describe Reputation: 

See the source image

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block