Billie Eilish wants people to stop categorizing her music as pop because she's white

8 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

For all people who are taking advantages of this thread to AGAIN hate on Billie, pls stop. Billie has just released her first album and calling her already trash, whisperer, fad. Remember that back in 1999, people were saying to 17-up year old Britney that she would end up as a one hit-wonder and see what happened in the turn of the millennium. So please respect each other, because even though if u don’t like her music or her voice, there is no need to lose yr dignity to hate on someone. I find Billie a breath of fresh air in commercial pop (no shade billie:sneer:) for her dark sound, her DEBUT album was only produced by her brother and she. Yet, it received a 83% acclaim. So guys, as a fan, I request you to please respect Billie. Thank you.

Don't compare Billie to Britney, who had obvious talent and charisma. I see no such thing in Ellish. Even her look and music videos has a terrible gimmicky feel. To me, it's like she's trying to be a PG-13 Marilyn Manson, and I'm not here for it. I'm absolutely allowed to voice my opinion on her, and she'll have every opportunity to prove me wrong like Britney did to her haters decades ago. 

Sorry not sorry.

• Love 2
Just now, SexyLove said:

Don't compare Billie to Britney, who had obvious talent and charisma. I see no such thing in Ellish. Even her look and music videos has a terrible gimmicky feel. To me, it's like she's trying to be a PG-13 Marilyn Manson, and I'm not here for it. I'm absolutely allowed to voice my opinion on her, and she'll have every opportunity to prove me wrong like Britney did to her haters decades ago. 

Sorry not sorry.

I am not comparing her to Britney. Stop acting delusional. U have the right to voice yr opinion but u have to be respectful. U don’t need to use such dregatory words like trash and fad. It doesn’t show anything about Billies character but YOU (not that I’m judging u)

5 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I am not comparing her to Britney. Stop acting delusional. U have the right to voice yr opinion but u have to be respectful. U don’t need to use such dregatory words like trash and fad. It doesn’t show anything about Billies character but YOU (not that I’m judging u)

You actually did compare her to Britney in 1999, but I won't hold that against you. And why do I have to be respectful? Are you the opinion police?

I do find her music to be trash and if she keeps up with this Halloween look and aesthetic, I do hope she's a fad. If she starts making actual songs with actual singing and not her ASMR nonsense, I might even become a fan, who knows. Perhaps it's just an age disconnect. I'm in my thirties and her demographic is what? Tik toking teenagers? 

16 minutes ago, SexyLove said:

You actually did compare her to Britney in 1999, but I won't hold that against you. And why do I have to be respectful? Are you the opinion police?

I do find her music to be trash and if she keeps up with this Halloween look and aesthetic, I do hope she's a fad. If she starts making actual songs with actual singing and not her ASMR nonsense, I might even become a fan, who knows. Perhaps it's just an age disconnect. I'm in my thirties and her demographic is what? Tik toking teenagers? 

Way to go gurl :tiffeyeroll:

• Love 1
9 hours ago, VCTR said:

So, I'm not a huge Billie fan and maybe have never even listened to one of her songs all the way through (shocking, I know) but I really think she meant to put more emphasis on how "pop" is white and "R&B" is black. Which is true and racist af. Like you guys have been saying Rihanna has been pop af for years and was always classified as "R&B" because of her skin color. I mean, "Umbrella" was written for Britney and would be considered pure pop if it weren't for the fact Rihanna was on it instead. And if Rihanna had performed "Hold It Against Me" it would all of the sudden be and "R&B" song despite being essentially the same song.

I'm going to give Billie the benefit of the doubt and say she was just throwing out and example but doesn't truly think she's a rapper. Or is she? IDK. Never listened.

This. At the same time, it is annoying that she complains about something she has said she doesn't care about at all: genres.  If she wanted to point out at the illogical racial considerations for genres, she wasn't very eloquent or successful at doing so.

There's plenty of artists that do a mix of different genres and yet get labeled under a specific one or a wrong one, because it's the one that is easier to recall. Lorde won a VMA for best Rock video for Royals and she looked confused during the speech. We can think of Gaga's Joanne and Swift earlier works (country or pop?), twenty one pilots (rock or rap or alternative or pop?), Iggy Azalea (hip-hop or pop?).

It's not only her issue. The big problem here is (in my opinion) a stigma she's putting upon pop music, as if it were shallow or silly, while her music being meaningful and profound.

• Love 1

Pop is such a wide term, it doesn't just refer to what Katy Perry does. I haven't paid much attention to her but from what I've heard I would consider her a pop artist, even if her sound is a little bit more experimental, and there's nothing wrong with that. I kinda understand what she's saying and I agree with some people in this thread, sometimes artists are put in a box based on their image and their race and not their music, but I get the impression that Billie is saying this because she doesn't enjoy the idea of being called a pop artist because "she's different and not like the other girls". I may be wrong because I don't know her, but that's just the vibe that I get.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

It's not like she's entirely wrong. Lizzo IS more of a pop artist than she is, people DO actually assign these labels to artists due in part to race, and(i'll add) it serves no real function outside of who's getting played on what radio station. That being said, Billie makes pop music so I don't know where she seems to think she fits in this problem. 

Hmmm this is interesting. I don’t really think her songs I’ve heard are pop, but I definitely wouldn’t label them as Hip hop or rap. And she certainly isn’t a vocalist. Her winning for pop vocals was pretty ridiculous considering she sings like 5 notes... 

she has a point though, it does seem like hip hop/rnb = black at the Grammys and pop= white, and once in a while a white person gets nominated in hip hop/rnb. Once in a while a Black person in pop. 

6 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

Hmmm this is interesting. I don’t really think her songs I’ve heard are pop, but I definitely wouldn’t label them as Hip hop or rap. And she certainly isn’t a vocalist. Her winning for pop vocals was pretty ridiculous considering she sings like 5 notes... 

she has a point though, it does seem like hip hop/rnb = black at the Grammys and pop= white, and once in a while a white person gets nominated in hip hop/rnb. Once in a while a Black person in pop. 

Bad Guy is deff pop. 

Most artists fit in those categories. To me pop is like catchy/dance music. 

To me it’s just a genre but I think ppl normally relate to pop as the biggest which I don’t think is the case. 

Kylie minogue said it best at her Aria induction in 2011.

To the music label and her record label in Australia Mushroom records.

"They knew about pop music, But it's such a dirty word in the industry. They accept it. But in reality they don't. 

I'm not ashamed to ba a pop star doing fun, glamorous pop music for escapism.  

But the music industry on the other hands prefer serious artists.

If you think about it. Madonna is the most respected pop star for a female,  Same with Michael Jackson and Prince. As they  wrote their music, produced it and basically focused more on the artistry and as you see. Artists like Me, Britney spears and countless others. Are just viewed as guilty pleasure pop stars. The ones you're ashamed to admit you love 

Sadly, it will forever be viewed this way until we write our songs,  play instruments and tackle serious global issues. 

The world is ****, but why can't we be celebrated for giving our fans a chance to escape."

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block