Why didn't Britney tour stadiums at her peak?

i dont get the appeal for stadium tours... like it's only good for stats and that's IF the tour does good. The tickets are still expensive and then the people in the back see nothing but a huge screen. And unlike Taylor's team, they would never invest in something like glow bracelets to make the audience experience seem cool

513097611b90f45bf291e7ad8a1ce146.jpg

I'm actually jealous of the people who got to see her in Vegas (2015-2016) the tickets were relatively cheap and all the seats were so close

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

i dont get the appeal for stadium tours... like it's only good for stats and that's IF the tour does good. The tickets are still expensive and then the people in the back see nothing but a huge screen. And unlike Taylor's team, they would never invest in something like glow bracelets to make the audience experience seem cool

513097611b90f45bf291e7ad8a1ce146.jpg

I'm actually jealous of the people who got to see her in Vegas (2015-2016) the tickets were relatively cheap and all the seats were so close

yup

view expectation

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

reality

image.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

What an interesting observation. While Britney did have a few stadium tours, I really don't think stadium tours suit artists. Unless the artist knows how to utilize the space, I haven't found myself enjoying stadium tours that much. Compared to smaller venues, you usually rely on the screens to view the artist. I think it would be cool to see Britney in a larger space, but we'll have to wait and see what she'll bring to the stage.

52 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

NSYNC did do a stadium tour back on their day and it looked great but the stage seemed to be like a 3 story building lol

interestingly, the DWAD stage was inspired by this stage and Janet Jackson's AFY 

Omw, they couldn't bother to dress up for their own concert? 

How many artists actually toured stadiums back then?

Rolling Stones? U2? Madonna?

I only really remember big shows like Live Aid being held in stadiums. Touring wasn't nearly as big then as it is now because artists made their money off of album sales. They didn't need to play big shows to earn money.

• Like 1

She did a stadium in Argentina with the Femme Fatale tour in 2011.

I don't know if this happened in some other show in another country, or if it was a thing with fans back then, but during "(Drop Dead) Beautiful" we ALL (and I mean the whole stadium) sang "...cause you're beautiful...BRITNEY!...Beautiful...BRITNEY!" haha it sounds cheesy when I write it down but it was amazing and it was SO.LOUD. We ALL sang that, in each chorus.

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, CarlyRaeJepsenStan said:

I read somewhere that touring wasn't as big during Britney's peak as it is today because back then major artists like Britney already made a lot of money from album sales. 

Where did you get that info from?? Most rock stars like The Rolling Stone and U2 and people like Madonna did stadium tours. And Michael Jackson all he did was stadium tours. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, britney_rocks said:

Where did you get that info from?? Most rock stars like The Rolling Stone and U2 and people like Madonna did stadium tours. And Michael Jackson all he did was stadium tours. 

I read that on ATRL.  MJ was bigger than everyone . Rolling Stone, U2, Madonna were all ''legacy'' acts by the time Britney rose to fame in 1999.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, britney_rocks said:

Most rock stars like The Rolling Stone and U2 and people like Madonna did stadium tours. 

If you notice the pattern, all albums by  The Rolling Stone and U2 and Madonna this decade were all frontloaded and their singles all flopped. They are legacy acts, fans buy concert tickets to hear their old hits. People are not here for their new music.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MathCarmignani said:

in a perfect world the two eras after ITZ would be her peak. She had way more room to get way higher and way more legendary than she already was. But that's my opinion :saycheese:

This. With two more eras (of the same quality of the last two), she would have been untouchable. 

17 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

In 2000's early was like this, South American Touring was only  by higher gross artist like madonna, rollings or u2!, also Latin markets (Without Mexico) they were not able to pay higher concert tickets for an hour concert,  most of the concerts were sponsored by big brands and ticketing were just used to pay the rents but not the whole concert, the concerts was payed in that times by tv broadcast, promos during the concert from big brands like pepsi, coca cola or beer companies.

In those times, it was more reliable to the artist to visit each country with 2-4 dancers and the manager, doing some conferences, tv shows , 2 nights in hotel , be paid 25000-50.000$$  for each simply tv appearence, perform 2 songs in each show  , go to the radio and sold about 100000-200000 CD's that was money for those times. 

i remember the time that Xtina came to my country venezuela, britney at the same week was performing on rock in rio, xtina performed with the extint teenpop group 5ive , the ticket only cost general pit 28$ and 60$ vip side bleachers in that time. It was like Between 20000- 30000 people concert. 

In the case of britney, she sold a lot of albums here, i think more than XTINA,  The strategy in that time was only making interviews by phone with her,  make a contest to win 2 meet and greets with her and see Oops tour live in washington. Also  National  TV channels Broadcasted Britney Hawaii TV Special and Direct PPV Britney Spears live in concert (Oops tour London) only with that she sold a loott , the first 2 albums was certified 6xplatinum, Britney self titled was certified  5xplatinum.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, CarlyRaeJepsenStan said:

I read somewhere that touring wasn't as big during Britney's peak as it is today because back then major artists like Britney already made a lot of money from album sales. 

I think that’s true, I saw NSYNC on the pop odyssey tour back then and they were in an arena too. I don’t think it was very common for ppl to do stadiums back then. I also wonder if doing more dates was more profitable, they could have multiple dates on one city, and because they had younger fans, I think they sell more merchandise than rock acts? Not sure on that just making a guess.