Which songs on Circus album do you think are Blackout rejects?

ErickGuzman

Mannequin would have sounded way ahead of it's time for 2007, wouldn't it @Roxxy:queenflopga:

Apart from the tour/album shoot and title song, 'Circus' doesn't really feel that coherent. There's no direction in terms of the song placement. It just feels like a jumble of tracks :cackling:

Jokes aside, Kill the Lights & Mannequin would have sounded great on Blackout :mattafact:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dark.Knight said:

Womanizer, Kill The Lights sounds like a rejected song, Lace & Leather, Mannequin

I actually struggle to identify what was Circus' sound since the albums feels too disjointed for me.

that's because Circus wasn't suppose to be an album to begin with. There was no direction to begin with. Britney was in the recording studio for fun / therapy.

Kill the lights would have fit on blackout with a slightly darker production. It's really hard for me to pinpoint what songs belong on circus and which dont cuz its a mess of an album. The songs are good but there is no identity as an album. It's disjointed and all over the place.

6 hours ago, Isla said:

I feel like people forget Britney was originally meant to rerelease Blackout with new songs, but then she just ended up recording enough material for a new album. So I feel like it's hard to say in a way. But I remember that thread last year about Christopher Notes Olsen's demos and apparently Womanizer was originally recorded/demoed in 2007 and possibly intended for Blackout. 

to be honest I didn't even know that! I just thought because she didn't tour Blackout and didn't do any promo practically, she released BO in October 2007 then went straight into recording Circus, which she had enough time as circus wasn't released until December 2008. also, to me BO and Circus are completely different sounding or maybe that's just me. BO is edgy hard sounding and Circus is more pop

i thought the blackout rerelease tracks that eventually became the base for circus included kill the lights, blur for sure & have always guessed that rock boy and phonography were too. if womanizer was as some say i wouldn't be shocked either. 

i always want to say mmm papi too for some reason unbeknownst to me but i do remember reading an article a couple months ago from nicole morier where she mentioned after blackout and i presume because britney loved Heaven on Earth (didn't she say it was her BO fav track at one point?) they reunited and wrote like 8 or 9 or some number like that of songs, so i wonder if that was before or after blackout's rerelease was dropped in favor of circus becoming an album...

maybe most of the tracks produced by Danja and Bloodshy. Circus became the theme of the album once it was recorded, so I guess that circus-inspired tracks like If U Seek Amy and Lace and Leather were really meant for Circus, as well as the tracks produced by Garibay (Amnesia, Quicksand) and Sigsworth (Out From Under, My Baboon). we also see her recording Trouble in FTR, and Unusual You doesn't sound like it fits in Blackout. so pretty much the rest of the tracks do sound like they're intended for Blackout, though I would not necessarily call them rejects considering the fact that Circus was supposed to be a Blackout rerelease. :demi:

• Super Mods
11 hours ago, Louis_j said:

that's because Circus wasn't suppose to be an album to begin with. There was no direction to begin with. Britney was in the recording studio for fun / therapy.

That greedy meddling Larry :sipnstare:

20 hours ago, Isla said:

I feel like people forget Britney was originally meant to rerelease Blackout with new songs, but then she just ended up recording enough material for a new album. So I feel like it's hard to say in a way. But I remember that thread last year about Christopher Notes Olsen's demos and apparently Womanizer was originally recorded/demoed in 2007 and possibly intended for Blackout. 

Omg do you know where can I listen to these demos or find the thread? :0

On 6/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Dark.Knight said:

Womanizer, Kill The Lights sounds like a rejected song, Lace & Leather, Mannequin

I actually struggle to identify what was Circus' sound since the albums feels too disjointed for me.

true, each album (even Babulina Jefferson) has one specific type of sound that you could definitely recognise, it was cohesive.
isn't it ironic that her only themed album (with FF) is the one that lacks cohesion? 

it is all the more weak due to Blackout's glittering

my least favorite album from Britney Jean Spears 

2 hours ago, DaxCass said:

Omg do you know where can I listen to these demos or find the thread? :0

I'll have a look for the thread! Unfortunately asides from I've Been Loving You Too Long (Otis Redding cover) none of the other demos have leaked. 

15 hours ago, jonloch1 said:

to be honest I didn't even know that! I just thought because she didn't tour Blackout and didn't do any promo practically, she released BO in October 2007 then went straight into recording Circus, which she had enough time as circus wasn't released until December 2008. also, to me BO and Circus are completely different sounding or maybe that's just me. BO is edgy hard sounding and Circus is more pop

Oh yeah I agree that Blackout and Circus are completely different albums sound wise - almost like night and day. I think what happened is the material just evolved overtime, and because Britney had recorded so many songs they decided to push forward with a new album that was more pop sounding than Blackout which had a dark electro sound. 

Archived